What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GSU location

How many have had problems mounting GSU 25 to back of Garmin GDU display?

• Total voters

PilotjohnS

Well Known Member
So how many have put their Garmin GSU25 on back of the GDU display without problems? Please vote.

Last edited:
Does it count that I've had lots of problems doing P-S checks on aircraft that have mounted the AHRS to the back of the screen?

Yes

Does it count that I've had lots of problems doing P-S checks on aircraft that have mounted the AHRS to the back of the screen?

Yes all data counts! Please let us know your experience!

But i really wanted to know about the so called “vibration” issue

So how many have put their Garmin GSU25 on back of the GDU display without problems? Please vote.

John, can you add another data line "I did not mount GSU 25 to back of GDU display and had issues"? Or "I mounted on Sub Panel and had issues" Thanks.

Good idea

Good idea but cant figure out how to change poll. Also want to remove “i spy” feature on answers.

Pitot static

I am glad you mentioned the pitot static. While mounting the GSU 25 to the back of the GDU saves panel space, it also may make removal of the GDU harder; and removal of the GDU is one way to avoid crawling under the panel fo service on my 9a. Something else to consider.

Hmmm...

What kind of problems?

I am glad you mentioned the pitot static. While mounting the GSU 25 to the back of the GDU saves panel space, it also may make removal of the GDU harder; and removal of the GDU is one way to avoid crawling under the panel fo service on my 9a. Something else to consider.

John S pretty much nailed it. On a slider or an RV10 it becomes a job just to pull the screen to access plumbing if the GSU is attached.
I would say that one of the biggest headaches I run into doing P-S tests are static leaks.
You may not mind crawling under your panel but I'd rather not, and it's gonna cost you more if I have to :eek:

Never forget about maintenance when building....

Last edited:
details...

We should include a bit more detail around parameters affecting GSU 25 installation and serviceability -- the type of aircraft, panel/canopy configuration, instead of broad generalizations wrapped around anecdotes...

I'll begin - In both of the RV-7 tip-ups and the RV-14 projects, we installed the GSU 25 on the back side of the GDU 460 (PFD) with the connectors on the bottom facing forward, the P/A/S lines also running forward.

P/A/S connectors on GSU are Parker Prestolok, Parker Push-to-Connect PLP elsewhere and Parker 1/4" Polyethelene Tubing with ample service loops for all plumbing and wiring.

Panels were built by Aerotronics, Avionics Systems, and Steinair.

No leaks, No issues with serviceability, and Vibration Survey passes.

Attachments

• IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 160
Slider location?

Where is a good location to mount the GSU on a -6A slider? Which provides good access to p/s checks, etc?

Back