What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 autopilot options

MikeBlackburn

I'm New Here
Looking at a G5 / GPS175 installation.

To use the autopilot you’d need the control panel and the servos, correct?

Do you need a GFC500, or is the autopilot included in the G5?
Finding this all very confusing.

G5 Component LRU's

Looking at a G5 / GPS175 installation.

To use the autopilot you’d need the control panel and the servos, correct?

Do you need a GFC500, or is the autopilot included in the G5?
Finding this all very confusing.

Hi Mike,

For an experimental aircraft autopilot, you would need a G5, GMC 507, and GSA 28 servos. Including a GMU 11 will allow the system to calculate magnetic heading, and a GAD 29 provides the ARINC 429 interface to facilitate communication with the external navigator. This combination of equipment will provide you with a very capable autopilot, allowing you to couple the AP to RNAV approaches both laterally and vertically, down to LPV minimums, where available.

The GMU 11 is optional. In the absence of magnetic heading, the G5 will display GPS track, which you can couple to using the TRK flight director mode. In the presence of a GMU 11, the HDG flight director mode would be available.

For reference, here is a link to the latest revision of the G5 EAB Installation manual.

Please feel free to contact us directly at [email protected] if you would like.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
GPS175 Vertical Naviagation

For some reason, I was under the impression that the GPS175 would not provide the vertical component for coupled approaches. Is this wrong?

Last edited:
For some reason, I was under the impression that the GPS175 would not provide the vertical component for coupled approaches. Is this wrong?

This is wrong. However, iirc, you must have the arinc link installed to get vertical guidance.

Barometric

I have my 175 hooked to two G5s , gad29, gmu11 and its great but how do i get baro adjusted altitude vs GPS altitude? am I able to get it from my G5?

Baro Corrected Altitude

I have my 175 hooked to two G5s , gad29, gmu11 and its great but how do i get baro adjusted altitude vs GPS altitude? am I able to get it from my G5?

The EFIS/AIRDATA output from the G5/GAD29 provides label 204 (Baro Corrected Altitude) to the GPS 175.

Page 7-23 of the G5 Installation manual details the interconnect and configuration between the G5/GAD29 and GPS 175. Do you have your system configured as shown on this page? Specifically the ARINC output from the G5 and corresponding ARINC input on the GPS 175.

If nothing turns up there, we can take a look at the main data input page on the GPS 175 and dive a bit deeper into the data shared on this connection. Please contact us at [email protected] and we can take a look at it with you.

Thanks,

Justin

VNAV Descent

As Bob mentioned, this is incorrect. The GPS 175 provides both vertical and lateral navigation information for approach purposes. The GPS 175 does not have enroute VNAV capability however.

Thanks,

Justin

Back