What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mostly just an introduction

Lithosis

Hello Everyone,

I'm just another guy coming in here with big dreams to fly. Last year I got to ride along on a flight into Smiley Creek Airport in Idaho and it sparked my interest in a huge way. I didn't really realize that general aviation was "a thing". How cool to be able to fly yourself where ever you want whenever you want. So, I'm now in the infancy of getting into the hobby. I don't even have my PPL yet, but before I make too much of a financial plunge I wanted to put together my plan. While researching that I found out that my budget locks me into certified planes that are older than I am (31), but when I saw that you could build your own plane that made me more excited. I'm an engineer and an avid DIY/builder. So much so that here I am debating ordering my tail kit before I have even started my PPL.

So my plan: Hope the wife doesn't divorce me haha. I'll join a local club and get/start my PPL at some point this year. Order an RV-14A tail kit some time during/after Oshkosh (I won't make it there sadly). I think that will be a good time in case there is a discount or the RV-15 is revealed and fits my mission better. Join the local EAA chapter next month. Start working on getting my garage shop up to par.

I don't want to write a whole book about myself here, so that's me. There's a lot more I'm looking forward to learning and experiencing. Did any of you start building around the same time as you started flying? Hit me with any advice, questions, or recommendations.

Thanks,

Randal
Boise, ID

Randal,

I would suggest you get a little flying time in working on your PPL to see if you like that part of it. Being an engineer you will probably enjoy the building part. The two aspects are of course completely different. Some people actually enjoy building more than the flying aspect. Just start slow and make sure this is the path you want to take. It does take a considerable amount of time and commitment. My build has been making slow progress for some time but I still enjoy working on it and the learning process that goes with each stage. I like having to investigate how certain sections are built, the options for how to implement it and then seeing the results. When we start these projects we have thoughts of doing lots of things differently than explicitly in the plans but as time goes on you realize that each one of those deviations is pushing out your completion date. I am as guilty as anyone of letting this happen. When you do start building try to stick to the plans as much as you can to speed your build.

Welcome and be careful with the addiction.

About one year ago I decided to finally go ahead and jump into my 40 year dream of being a pilot.

Written is done. Check ride scheduled for May 3rd.

And....my RV10 empennage is finished.

And....not divorced!

Andy

Be careful with the idea that building is cheaper than buying a 50 year old airplane. Over time, yes. But the initial acquisition cost of a 50 year old airplane is much lower than all of the materials to build an airplane.

You can fly a 50 year old plane immediately, but you can't fly one you're building, so it literally has no value until you've dumped thousands of dollars and hours into it.

It didn't make sense for me to pull the trigger on building until I had owned my Mooney for 4 years and got tired of paying someone else to do all the maintenance.

All good comments so far. It sounds like it is time to DO at least something. I agree with the idea of heading to the local flight school tomorrow and get started (however slowly) on the PPL. You can simply quit anytime. Then if you really want to build, not just to have something to fly, get that tail kit ordered. If you change your mind, it will easily sell with no shame. And, you'll be off on a new adventure that could change your life.

Divorce HAS happened. Just sayin'.

Build or fly

I know one who built before PPL. He is happily flying his airplane now. It can be done.

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

Welcome and be careful with the addiction.

About one year ago I decided to finally go ahead and jump into my 40 year dream of being a pilot.

Written is done. Check ride scheduled for May 3rd.

And....my RV10 empennage is finished.

And....not divorced!

Andy

Sounds like I'm not crazy.... or maybe I'm just not alone in my craziness :D

I would suggest you get a little flying time in working on your PPL to see if you like that part of it.

It sounds like it is time to DO at least something.

Yeah, I agree with you two. I have taken a free ground school, and I see they're offering another one. I think I'll take it again and talk to a CFI about getting started.

When you do start building try to stick to the plans as much as you can to speed your build.

I actually wasn't yet envisioning doing a bunch of custom stuff, but thanks for mentioning this. I'll make sure to not start down that path.

You can fly a 50 year old plane immediately, but you can't fly one you're building

This is the main reason I'm so interested in starting the build sooner rather than later.

It didn't make sense for me to pull the trigger on building until I had owned my Mooney for 4 years and got tired of paying someone else to do all the maintenance.

This. Absolutely This!

I've been flying a piper Cherokee for 5 years with a few co owners and its been great to get my PPL and work on my instrument rating, but I have bigger performance expectations and want to do my own MX.

Getting your ppl will be way faster then building your plane. I've logged 8 hours towards my ppl, but quit when I needed to save to buy a house. I think I have flown enough to know that I can get my ppl. I am half way through the tail kit on my plane, I'm confident I have the skill to build the plane. I am still putting offthe ppl, my main reason is I'd rather not get my ppl and not fly as much as I probably should because im building, and spending money on the build.

Do it!

I ordered a kit before I started my ppl. I did ride in an RV first. Was told it would be the most expensive free ride of my life. Extremely true.
My advice is to just do it. Your only regret will be not doing it sooner.

Sometimes I wish I would have started my build when I started flying and I lived in Tehachapi, which is like aviation Mecca. I would definitely have had it completed by now, but I would just be starting my aviation adventure.

Instead I bought my Mooney and had enough crazy adventures to know I'm done with certified forever. I'm not sad that I did that because it was awesome. But after 600 hours I was ready for the next adventure.

Me Too

Three years ago I decided to build a 9A, but never having piloted a small plane wanted to be sure I would really want to fly it when finished. So I took enough lessons (25 hours actually) to be confident that this is something I can and want to do. Bought and built the empennage and am working on the fuselage. I'll focus on flying when I get closer to a complete airplane. Good luck!

Getting your ppl will be way faster then building your plane. I've logged 8 hours towards my ppl, but quit when I needed to save to buy a house. I think I have flown enough to know that I can get my ppl. I am half way through the tail kit on my plane, I'm confident I have the skill to build the plane. I am still putting offthe ppl, my main reason is I'd rather not get my ppl and not fly as much as I probably should because im building, and spending money on the build.

Yeah, the cost of maintaining my training and being in a flying club would slow down the building.

Nice to see a few more people have started building early in their training. I'll see if anyone at the next EAA meeting is willing to take me up.

I'm another one who started my build early in my training. I bought a partially started empennage and quick build wings a couple of weeks after my first solo. One important thing that I needed to know is that I would be able to fly my plane eventually, so I needed to be sure that 1) I could get my medical and 2) that I enjoyed and was capable of flying a small plane. Building and training at the same time was not easy on the wallet, but I managed to get my license about a year into the build and finished and flew my 9A 2-1/2 years later.

The one important take away is that the pilot role and the builder/maintainer role are two very different, sometimes competing mindsets. Both need attention, sometimes it's just not feasible to do both at the same time. In those cases, particularly if you've neglected the flying, it is important to spend the time and effort to get proficient again.

However you slice it, it's an amazing adventure.

Another Idaho Guy

I'm not a builder (yet?) and haven't flown for a long time, but I'm still a lurker here and a Van's enthusiast. And I live in Meridian, Idaho. If you do get started with a build in the future feel free to hit me up. I'd be available to help on two man jobs. :)

Letter of Introduction

Via bldg. prior to PPL, etc., I bought a horse trailer- before I bought a horse. Chit chat = "why you doin' that?" "Cause I'm goin' to have to haul him- whenever I buy it." Similarly = Blt. an EAB before a candidate for written.. like the sound of diff. Drummers. :)

I'm not a builder (yet?) and haven't flown for a long time, but I'm still a lurker here and a Van's enthusiast. And I live in Meridian, Idaho. If you do get started with a build in the future feel free to hit me up. I'd be available to help on two man jobs. :)

Thanks! I'll let you know when I get started.

Back