What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel cap loss

HansLab

Well Known Member
Hi y' all. Second flight, and besides (or because of) an erratic high oilP I managed to leave my fuel cap on the airport where I was refueling.
The oilP was due to a nut coming off of the sensor (so this time not the ground ;-) - probably the only not-locknut FWF. However, I got the message.
Any ideas about the fuel cap, though? Any of you found a solution for my forgetfulness?

anchor chain

The fuel caps on my non-RV plane are safety secured with a length of chain and a T-piece anchor inside the filler tube, works well. The cap can be completely removed if necessary by maneuvring and pulling out the T piece anchor, otherwise it just hangs out of the way while refuelling.

You still need to remember to put the cap back on after refuelling though!

Last edited:
Spring for the locking cap, keep the key on the ring with the ignition key and don’t remove it from the cap until it’s locked on the plane.

I use a locking cap, the key is on the same ring as the ignition. When I remove the cap the key stays in it. If I forget to put it back on when I go to start the key isn’t in my pocket.

This serves a dual purpose making sure I always have the gas key when I fly away from my airport.

Last edited:
Fuel caps...........

EVERY time I refuel, whatever airplane I am flying, I do a brief walk-around including physically touching the fuel caps to assure they are down and tight or otherwise secure, and tapping a bit of fuel out of the quick drain to check for any water that may have been in the fuel I just put in (knowing it may not have made it to the quick drain yet). I also check the oil level and need the screwdriver on the end of the quick drain tap to get the cowling door open on SuzieQ. It is just part of my refueling routine and I have never left a fuel cap anywhere but where it belongs. There will be a boot print on the tire of the Cub before every flight and after refueling as I use it as a cap-checking step. SuzieQ is a bit easier: a knee print on the tarmac....;)

I call this my Last Chance checklist which I leave on my seat so that I will look at it before I strap in.

It has already saved me three times.:)

Attachments

• Last chance.jpg
    Last chance.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 60
It's often the preflight that causes caps to be left off, especially the oil cap.

I instruct my students to do a quick 360 walk around AFTER the preflight is complete. This is to check tie downs, chocks, leaking fluids, fuel/oil caps, and count wings.

The preflight is the micro view, the 360 is the macro.

I was in the habit of laying it on the wing when I checked fuel level. Bad idea. It rolled back and jammed the aileron at the torque tube. I picked it up on the preflight control check. I don’t do that anymore.

Back