What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dishwasher Safe?

Everwild

Well Known Member
I'm working on a set of fuel tanks for my -10. The ribs and some other parts seem to have a bunch of grime from either the hydroforming process or maybe laser cutting. Plus oils, boelube, scotch brite dust, etc.

Wondering if anyone has tried putting the ribs and stiffeners in the dishwasher to deep clean them for tank sealant and assembly?

I would imagine that you wouldn't want to use regular dishwasher pods due to possible contamination by non-spotting agents etc.

Good idea? And if so any recommendation on what would be a good detergent or chemistry to use on aluminum? I understand that different chemistries (alkaline to acidic) are used to clean different contaminants and materials for the best results.

Attachments

• IMG_6783.jpg
    IMG_6783.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 89
Fay surfaces

The only areas needing cleanliness are fay surfaces. They should be scuffed and wiped with a solvent. Only place I used MEK.
The other areas can be wiped at the same time if you want.

I wouldn’t want any soap residue on my fuel tank parts. After scuffing and wiping with MEK, or acetone, I wipe with 91% (or 99%) alcohol, and then wipe that with a clean dry cotton cloth (like clean t-shirt)…….. all this according to instructions from PPG on their polysulfide tank sealant.

A dishwasher can do a great job of cleaning but use caution before placing anything Aluminum into the dishwasher without testing a scrap section first. The PH of Dishwasher detergent is very high and very corrosive.

I was cleaning up after a grandkids visit and put my wife’s fancy Aluminum Ice Cream scoop into the dishwasher, she was not a happy camper when she saw the surface etched away, in fact,I’m stilling hearing about it years later.

After a few decades of marriage I learned a few things, don’t use the dishwasher as a parts washer and stay away from the kitchen oven for curing powder coat. If you choose to disregard this friendly advise, make sure she is away for a few days so you have ample time to clean up.

I’m with Don, I steer off even thinking about using the dishwasher for aviation activities (or anything not food related for that matter). I include the oven in that now as well, although I do manage to sneak a bearing into the freezer now and again, but I also like to sleep at night…

For clean up, I spray all of the parts down with Simple Green aviation, scrub as needed and rinse them off. It gets the oil and dirt off. I get the rest with alcohol or acetone later on.

Dishwasher detergent is very corrosive to aluminum. All the aluminum utensils and pizza pans that made it through a cycle are very rough, and appear oxidized. Coarse surface and very discolored. Put a scrap of aluminum through a cycle, It may be an eye opener.

Dishwasher

Years ago, an Air Force friend of mine was restoring a MGA sports car. He took all of the aluminum intake parts, including the disassembled carbs, and put them in the dishwasher. The corroded mess that resulted provided lots of ribbing and a bunch of financial pain for a young lieutenant!

Masking

As everyone seems to agree, you don't want to effect the areas where sealant will not be applied.
I'm OCD. I didn't quite go this far but close.
Install ribs with a few clekos. Top or bottom. Mark the locations on the rib fay surfaces on the skin. Repeat for the other side. Lay down painter's tape outside the line as wide as you want the fillet. Scuff, clean, assemble tanks, pull the tape. Nice even tape line and the cladding is intact.

Putting in a plug for cleanliness

I was in the camp of using off the shelf solvents to provide a clean bonding surface. Until I tried a purpose made water based cleaner. The problem is that most solvents on the shelf will leave behind all kinds of residue.

A de-ionized water cleaner with extremely pure solvents does a job head and shoulders above standard solvents. The thought of spending more for a gallon of 'water' vs some popular thinner seemed absurd until I tried it.

Get yourself a sample of a good deionized water cleaner and scrub something side by side with a store bought solvent and feel the difference!!! The water based cleaner area will 'grab at' your finger when you run it across.

After 30 years of painting all kinds of materials and prepping with solvents I was instantly hooked.

We hear stories of mystery leaks on tanks, perhaps a dirty solvent that was assumed to be clean might solve a few of those mysteries.

Last edited:
Tip for a happy marriage. Don't even think about using tools or appliances from/in the kitchen for the plane.

Another story on how corrosive a dishwasher can be… We placed a nice shiny Bialetti espresso maker in the dishwasher, and it came out completely ruined. Not a shiny spot left on the thing and what was left would leave a messy residue on your hands. It completely destroyed the pretty surface of the espresso maker, which I think was cast aluminum.

Put it in the dishwasher with a small squeeze of Dawn..... :D

I run all of our rinse cycles like that - not much, keeps the machine squeaky clean.

Back