What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

swap from a 7 to a 7A

quick question Id like to throw out there.
I'm purchasing a Q-build 7 fuse and wanted to get some feedback about changing it to a (A) model tricycle gear set up.
first off is it doable and second approximate cost.
thanks in advance

7 to 7A

Some years ago I bought a project that was at close to quickbuild stage with a slider canopy and 7A gear and did all the research to convert from slider to tip up and 7A to 7 (going the other way to what you plan). The differences are managable.
Engine mount frame - replace with 7A engine mount and sell the 7 engine mount.
Purchase 7A engine mount, nose gear leg, wheel,wheel pant and fairings.
The cockpit forward spar and gear covers are also different.
Gear leg fittings - purchase.
Gear legs check for toe in toe out - the 7A has toe in - I seem to remember the 7 has toe out. Depending on the configuration of the gear legs in your kit it may be possible to reconfigure them to work for the 7A - important to confirm.
Add the rear tiedown plate if not installed.
I chose to leave the gear as a 7A but did make the change to a tip up. There were all kinds of subtle differences that required new parts and modifications in addition to the obviously different parts - in some cases off by less than 1/4 inch where rivet holes just wouldn’t line up and parts had to be remade or modified so be prepared for that. Needless to say I thought I had done a pretty good planning job but there was a number of things I didn’t see coming. I think in the end the changes cost about $1500 even though the canopy lexan was not cut and fully repurposed for the tip up canopy.
I am sure others will tell you also that going off from (Vans) plan gets into uncharted waters pretty quickly.

KT

I swapped in the opposite direction. I can tell you, you will add a bundle of money unless you can find someone to swap or give you a deal. The engine mount is pricey and the missing parts for the nose gear and weldments are not cheap. It’s about $1000 in additional cost when ordering, but more like $3500 to buy all the parts new.

As to difficulty, it’s really not that much work if it’s at quick build stage.

Get the new Motor Mount - Nose Gear

I made the same change in my 9A. Since the new nose gear mount is available I would strongly suggest you get it for the change. It will be worth the cost in both safety and resale. Look at the 10 and 14 nose wheels and you will understand.

One thing I did not do was remove the tail wheel receiver inside the back fuselage. It probably cost me a few pounds at the worst place but my CG is still good as long as I dont go to heavy in baggage. It is fun to slip the tail wheel on to see the looks on peoples faces when they are looking at your plane.

There are a few tricky parts but it goes pretty easy and if you want a nose gear plane, worth it. I am happy with mine.

The OP question is about the QB fues, there is no indication the finishing kit is included in his purchase which makes all the fear of extra cost just a moot point.

Inventory

I'm purchasing a Q-build 7 fuse and wanted to get some feedback about changing it to a (A) model tricycle gear set up.
thanks in advance

If it helps. Check my blog (below) for "Basic Excel Builder Log". One of the tabs is a full 7A inventory plus a lot of the 7 inventory. It's arranged as received from shipping lists.
I second using the new elastomeric nose gear engine mount.

Changes

thanks in advance

Here are the things I believe you will need / want to change.

The TW mount could be removed, a fair number of rivets to drill out and reset. Cannot really install the aft tie down with the TW mount installed.

The step installation will require removing the baggage compartment flooring so you can drill and install it. I believe the step kits are 170.00 each.

I am pretty certain the existing gear legs won’t work with the engine mount for a A model. The gear legs are 310 a piece and the gear leg mounts are 330 a piece. So a bit over 1200.00 for the gear. I sent you a PM about this.

It’s all doable if you are comfortable with drilling out rivets successfully. There are also gear mount holes that will have to be cut in the cabin floor. If you have the builder’s manual you can read through the build steps for a slow build fuselage and determine where and what needs changing.

Last edited:
Cost difference

Cost is approx extra $3,000 now for the parts, based on the latest Vans price list for 7 and 7A kits.

Sounds like you are already purchasing it and considering the swap. If that’s true, my first advice would be to keep it a TW. If you really want a NW, yes it is doable. Others have noted the price. The big changes are the main gear weldment additions and a different engine mount/gear mount. I would just keep the tail wheel gear mount in place and modify the tail spring to be a tie down ring, save a lot of rework at the rear.

Tim

I bought a abandoned 7 quickbuild, wanted the nose gear. I found someone going the other way and swapped parts. Just put a post in the classifieds.

Different cowl length, motor mount, landing gear, pants, fairings, tailwheel mount, tailwheel and stinger. Definitely would have been easier at QB stage rather than 1200 hours flight time. Worth all the effort in my opinion, but I’m biased.

Attachments

• CA4A2000-CF5E-4960-AC2C-AB1314117CDA.jpeg
    CA4A2000-CF5E-4960-AC2C-AB1314117CDA.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 209E9DD3-A1E0-4EE7-804B-799AE56A1232.jpg
    209E9DD3-A1E0-4EE7-804B-799AE56A1232.jpg
    866 KB · Views: 54
Back