What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pump, selector vavles etc back ordered.

So I got no fuel selector valve or pumps. Backordered.

I suppose this is the point at which I think about upgrades to the fuel systems (That might be delivered sooner.)

Anyone got any thoughts. (44 rivets away from completing the fuse join, and then its on to the next section which is fuel.)

Andy

Depends what you want

If you are thinking of going SDS or EFII you’ll need a duplex fuel valve, probably from Andair and that could be problematic. The 2 I purchased took over 6 months to deliver. ACS might be helpful but not sure. These 2 systems to install you’re looking at ~ 80 labor hrs. Your tanks are already plumbed for return lines and that’s helpful. Changing direction now might take even longer. Since I don’t know what direction you are heading my input is limited. Good luck, I found there’s always something to work on.

I'd like to comment on the Newton valve possiblity for the RV14. Dont know if we are talking about a duplex install or not, but I'll address that. YES, you can install it. Several differences between it and the FS2020 Andair that we designed our package around.
First is the ports for the wing lines on the Newton are in the AFT location and more inboard than the Andair. Also---Andair uses 90* elboes (EF20's) to come out of the side ports and turn aft. Yes--the Newton valve has straight fittings that may make things alittle easier. DEFINATELY have to redesign the supply and return tubes to fit this valve.
The install height of the Newton valve 'May" be different than the Andair, which may create some challenges. The front discharge/return ports are not an issue.

Below are a couple of pics---the first one is the Andair FS2020 duplex valve in a RV14A---(never mind the hose part). Wanted to show the rigid tube profile at the valve.
The 2nd pic is of Krea Ellis' Newton valve in his RV10/SDS install.

Here is the real issue. Most all of the Vans planes, as well as ALOT of other manufacturers, have designed their systems around the Andair FS2020 valve. So redesigning a hose/tube system for these is not hard, but pretty time consuming. Especially where rigid tubes are used, like the RV14. Hose isnt as big a deal. And while the Newton valves may be faster to get, some extra development would be needed to do a modified package. Yes---Ive thought of it. Krea and I worked through his Newton install.

Actually I was hoping that Andair could produce alot more valves than they currently are. Yes, I understand that the experimental market is only part of what they do, but its become a problem. I looked into designing a couple of valves to fill the void with a duplex, a -2 style for the RV14s, a -7 style for the 7s and 10s, etc, etc. But it would take a bunch of time and some 'other' machining capabilities. Doubt we would undertake that.

Tom

Attachments

• Return tunnel hose3.jpg
    Return tunnel hose3.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 261
  • NEWTON V9 VALVE ELLIS RV10.jpg
    NEWTON V9 VALVE ELLIS RV10.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 276
I ordered my Fuselage 7/21 and am still waiting for that valve and filter. My theory has been to keep moving forward. The fuselage is done except for the valve/filter and the pedal weldments. I have plenty to do with fiberglass, paint prep, FWF. The list doesn't seem to end. Doing all that work-around is non-value adding to getting to the end goal. Its always good to seek wisdom of alternatives I might add. I've been curious about the same option. Thanks for the comments in response.

If you are thinking of going SDS or EFII you’ll need a duplex fuel valve, probably from Andair and that could be problematic. The 2 I purchased took over 6 months to deliver. ACS might be helpful but not sure. These 2 systems to install you’re looking at ~ 80 labor hrs. Your tanks are already plumbed for return lines and that’s helpful. Changing direction now might take even longer. Since I don’t know what direction you are heading my input is limited. Good luck, I found there’s always something to work on.

Im not going that exoctic.

IO390 EXP119. Thunderbolt.

Dual emags but otherwise bone stock is what I am shooting for. So I don't think I need the Duplex valve.

I'll pay for anything that is quicker. But most mods are LONGER in build time.
So that is my thinking. Shortcuts. Not long cuts.

Cheers
Andrew

Get the Airflow Performance pump and then the install kit from Tom for the -14. Better pump, much cheaper, and drop in install kit, no fabricating needed. Valve wise, best to wait unfortunately.

Newton v9 or v10

This shows the comparison between the andair fs2020 and the Newton valves.

Has anyone installed a Newton valve in a -14?

I’m not up to that section yet, but it seems the plumbing would be much easier as all the ports are aligned in the fore / aft direction? (The andair has ports on the sides).

At least the Newton when you select right, the handle points toward the right tank and not straight ahead!

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/05-08366.pdf

Trent----to my knowledge the Newton vave hasnt been installed in a 14. I know for us, it would involve a redesign of our fuselage rigid tubes. Not that we cant do it, (we did a mod to put a 7T valve in the 14), but we would have to have enough call to do it to justify the effort.

But-----if some major kit manufacturers decide to use the Newton valves, I guess we'll have to do it.

Tom

Fuel valve, filter and rudder pedal assy. were the last of the Fuselage slow build kit. Suppose to arrive. tomorrow. 14 Mo.

Re-visiting this. I grabbed a Andair FS20x7T and a Newton V1-3 valve ans dis some minor comparisons. From the mounting flange to the port centerlines, the Newton valve ports are 1 inch lower than the Andair. The valve centerline to the banjo outlets on the side ports are the same as the Andair 7T and the 2020 duplex valves with the EF20 elbows.
Since the Andair 2T valve and the 7T are pretty much the same body dimensions, with differences in the discharge port configuration and height, you could install a Newton valve in a RV14. (We make a pacakge to install a 7T in the RV14 for those that want the selector configured that way). Yes it can be done.

Tom

Attachments

• Newton vs Andair height comparison.jpg
    Newton vs Andair height comparison.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 114
Back