What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help identifying brakes

slngsht

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I'm trying to find replacement rotors. My brake setup is not matco - i believe it's cleveland but would like to verify.
From doing a bit of searching, the calipers are supposed to have a sticker on them, but no sticker is present. The only number I see on the left caliper is cast into the caliper, and looks like 405 to me.

Are liners / pads interchangeable between matco and cleveland? vans only lists one type for 5x5 wheels.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6458.jpg
    IMG_6458.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 297
Cleveland brakes

They look like the Clevelands i have on mine. And yes, Cleveland and Matco pads are interchangeable. Rapco also makes pads to fit them.

Look like Parker/Cleveland. Was standard on RV's for years. If they are this is probably the replacement # RA164-01700 Check spruce as an example.

I haven't been thrilled with Rapco linings. I recommend the APS brakes.

-Marc

Interesting - I’ve used nothing but the Rapco’s for years and never had a problem. Usually get several years out of a set on each of the planes. What kind of issues have you had? Just curious…..

Interesting - I’ve used nothing but the Rapco’s for years and never had a problem. Usually get several years out of a set on each of the planes. What kind of issues have you had? Just curious…..

The Rapco linings seem to crack and look like they are falling apart even though the thickness is still there. I'll see if I have some old linings in the hangar and post pics. Someone else posted about this and I experienced the same thing.

-Marc

Maybe the rivets are installed too tight and that will cause the lining to crack overtime and heat.

Brake linings: Rapco

I've been using them for years on both airplanes and never had a problem. Just bought replacements several months ago.

It might be that the rivets are pressed on too tight. Having the brake pad installation mandrel is a worthwhile investment.

Wheels and brakes

Cleveland wheel 5.00-5 PN: 40-78B
Brake disk PN: 164-17
Min. thickness 0.167” / 4.242 mm
Rapco brake disk: RA164-01700
Brake puck o-ring AN6227B-23
Brake Pads: Repco 06-00651
Tire: AirHawk 5.00-5 6ply
Tube: Aero Classic Leakguard
Nose Tire & Tube: Chang Shin 11x4.00x5 8 ply 06-01573
Cotter pin: MS24665-359

The thread below starts with a good photo of a deteriorating Rapco brake pad (incorrectly labeled as Matco, corrected to Rapco later in the thread). My last set of Rapco pads a few years ago looked suspicious when new ("crumbly" non-uniform surface), so I tossed them. I'm using APS now.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=153279

Thanks Tim, I searched for that thread but didn't find it. My Rapco brakes looked identical so I change to APS last year. We'll see how they hold up.

-Marc

Back