What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL 39 Traffic question

docsuresh

Connected GDL 39 to 696. Software updated on both. Device located on glareshield. RV7.
Weather works fine.
Traffic - only Air to Air appears to be working. Unable to get TIS ground to turn on (has a X on the screen against TIS). Am I doing something wrong? Some setting issue?

Thanks in advance.
Suresh
N765RV
RV7A

Suresh,

This is perfectly normal if you do not have some device on your aircraft transmitting ADS-B out. This can be either a Mode-S transponder with the ES option or a UAT.

If you have neither one of those working, then you will only receive the TIS-B signal if you are near another aircraft that is transmitting ADS-B out.

I suggest you go here to get more information:

Last edited:
ADS-B

There is a pretty good course available online at the ASF website. If you are going to rely on info using one of the current ADS-B receivers it will explain all aspects of their use. I think there was a test at the end so pay attention and absorb the contents!

Connected GDL 39 to 696. Software updated on both. Device located on glareshield. RV7.
Weather works fine.
Traffic - only Air to Air appears to be working. Unable to get TIS ground to turn on (has a X on the screen against TIS). Am I doing something wrong? Some setting issue?

From the GDL39 Users Manual:

"The FAA ground station will only broadcast TIS-B traffic that is within ?15 NM and ?3500 feet of an aircraft with ADS-B Out. To get the full benefits of ADS-B traffic it is recommended that the aircraft be equipped with an ADS-B transmitter (such as a GTX 330 w/ES)."

The ground station will only "wake-up" and transmit TIS-B when it is prompted by a properly equipped ADS-B OUT aircraft.

FWIW, other avionics manufacturers are strongly against using only ADS-B IN, without ADS-B OUT capability. Their concern is that you are receiving an incomplete traffic picture unless you also have ADS-B OUT.

Back