What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ipad Ram mounts

miyu1975

Well Known Member
Ok...I broke down and bought an Ipad, mostly for foreflight. I am looking ways others have mounted the Ipad in their plane. Please send pics. I have room on the right side of my panel and would like to put it there. I checked aircraft spruce but was unable to decide which items I needed. Also, I did a VAF search and did find some older post but all the pics were not showing any longer..thanks

ps..got my t/w and RV signoff yesterday. :D:D

If I were you, I would fly with the IPad handheld for a while and see if you think you can use it if it were mounted fixed somewhere.

Most people that make the IPad work in the bubble canopy RV's end up hand holding it so they can tilt it for the best readability.

I bought a high dollar mount and it is currently collecting dust...

Hold it

What Brantel said. Fly for awhile. It is so hard to read that you will be moving it around a lot. I use the "Snugg" brand case for it which I really like. You must get a sturdy cover or you will drop a seat belt buckle on the screen for sure....
Ben (my 2c )

iPad in the hand

Had a mount in my 6. Ok on the right side but the ipad now resides in my lap or between the seats. Save your money and spend it someplace else.

Becides the iPad I also hsve a Samsung Galaxie 3 running Anywhere Map. The Samsung display is MUCH better in the sun than the iPad. Fofeflight for now is a better app than Anywhere Map. For now because Anywhere is improving rapidly.

Ipad mount

Here's the way I did it.

http://www.richardfazio.name/panel%20hdr.jpg

http://www.richardfazio.name/panel.jpg

I used the Cradle RAM-HOL-AP8U EZ-ROLL?R?
1" Base mount RAM-B-202U
Short Double Socket Arm for 1" Ball Bases RAM-B-210-A

From RAM Mounts http://www.rammount.com/Products/AviationMounts/tabid/108/Default.aspx#/

That is essentially what I did, only I position mine vertically. The beauty of the RAM mount is you can tip and tilt it. Works great for me.

Yes, I have about 100 hours on it.

Yes, I have about 100 hours on it. The Ipad in not the greatest in an RV with bright sun shining on the screen. But you can read it. If you wear sunglasses it makes it harder to read. I think the Ipad with foreflight on it is the best for flying any cross country. I flew form NY to Sun & Fun with it. Was it perfect no. Does it work yes! When they come out with a brighter screen on what ever platform that runs Foreflight I'll be buying it.

I am in hopes the Koger sun shade will help a little bit. With the greenhouse on my Ercoupe, I had to fabricate a stiff cloth hood to shade things from the sun, worked pretty well actually when you are looking down into a black hole.

Yes, I have about 100 hours on it. The Ipad in not the greatest in an RV with bright sun shining on the screen. But you can read it. If you wear sunglasses it makes it harder to read. I think the Ipad with foreflight on it is the best for flying any cross country. I flew form NY to Sun & Fun with it. Was it perfect no. Does it work yes! When they come out with a brighter screen on what ever platform that runs Foreflight I'll be buying it.

no pic, but....

I mounted mine between the seats in my RV-6A. I can move it around and change the angle quite a bit to adjust for the glare. It works fine for me, although it can get a bit tight with a passenger.

I removed the floor panel and drilled and dimpled it for screws. I then used the embedded screws to mount the mount base ball to the floor panel at the top of the center spar. I used the 6" extension between the two mounting balls.

I also found that the cardboard HBC/VFR sign I use for AirVenture and Sun N Fun works great as a shade. I carry the sign in the plane on every trip. Depending on the glare angle, it often works great laid up on the glare shield and hanging out over the edge. Other times, I just pick it up off the glare shield and hold it as necessary to shade the iPad.

I was going to go over to the hangar today, but it just started pouring. Next time I go, I'll take a couple pics, in case my descriptions aren't clear.

Last edited:
I am planning on using one of these on the right side of my panel. Holds the ipad any direction you like. Plus you can easily lift it off and put it on your lap.

http://www.steelie.com/

Better keep that thing clear of any compass or magnometer...

Also I would be concerned with it staying where you put it in flight due to vibrations.

Last edited:
iPad worries?

Better keep that thing clear of any compass or magnometer...

Also I would be concerned with it staying where you put it in flight due to vibrations.

Brantel,

Seriously, have you ever really flown a flight using an iPad? You are very, very, VERY critical of using it in an RV! There are so many EXPERTS responding on these forums that I have to interject, FORM YOUR OWN OPINIONS FOLKS!
Yes, CAPS mean I am shouting at Brantel.
We flew from T67 to Destin in late July. My new iPad worked as good if not better than my panel-mounted Garmin. 1225 mile round trip and no glitches, no overheating, no problem reading the moving map (I don't use polarized sunglasses in flight) and yes I use a Koger shade, only after we're clear of any congested airspace and we've reached our cruise altitude.
We just finished a 400 mile Pilots N Paws flight this morning and once again, no glitches, no signal losses, flawless performance. Thank you Apple for making the screen brighter.
In summary, the New iPad works very well in a 6a mounted on a Ram mount. I haven't noticed ANY inflight vibrations or compass interference (with today's electronics, the last time I checked my compass was during a BFR!).
Fly safe and choose your own toys!

In summary, the New iPad works very well in a 6a mounted on a Ram mount. I haven't noticed ANY inflight vibrations or compass interference

Thank you. To add: old iPad (circa April 2010) works very well in a 9A anywhere in the cockpit. 500 trouble free hours :)

My new iPad worked as good if not better than my panel-mounted Garmin. 1225 mile round trip and no glitches, no overheating, no problem reading the moving map (I don't use polarized sunglasses in flight) and yes I use a Koger shade, only after we're clear of any congested airspace and we've reached our cruise altitude......In summary, the New iPad works very well in a 6a mounted on a Ram mount. I haven't noticed ANY inflight vibrations or compass interference

Well, that about says what I need to know. I have the ram mount and will include my IPad with some confidence that it works. And, if I were responding, what I included above is about all I would have said. I don't like it when the testosterone takes over, no matter how passionate we get about the subject. Just sayin....:)

Brantel,

Seriously, have you ever really flown a flight using an iPad? You are very, very, VERY critical of using it in an RV! There are so many EXPERTS responding on these forums that I have to interject, FORM YOUR OWN OPINIONS FOLKS!
Yes, CAPS mean I am shouting at Brantel.
We flew from T67 to Destin in late July. My new iPad worked as good if not better than my panel-mounted Garmin. 1225 mile round trip and no glitches, no overheating, no problem reading the moving map (I don't use polarized sunglasses in flight) and yes I use a Koger shade, only after we're clear of any congested airspace and we've reached our cruise altitude.
We just finished a 400 mile Pilots N Paws flight this morning and once again, no glitches, no signal losses, flawless performance. Thank you Apple for making the screen brighter.
In summary, the New iPad works very well in a 6a mounted on a Ram mount. I haven't noticed ANY inflight vibrations or compass interference (with today's electronics, the last time I checked my compass was during a BFR!).
Fly safe and choose your own toys!

Well since you have definitely exposed your true self....

Why yes I have flown with an iPad. I have one in my hand right now.

You sir have blown up without even understanding what I was talking about. As a matter of fact, this thread is not even about the iPad, it is about mounts!

Did you even bother to look at the post I was replying to? Nope is my guess since you have decided to condem me....

The guy referenced in my post is planning to use a very strong rare earth magnetic ball mount....no doubt it would affect any magnetic sensitive equipment anywhere near the panel.

Also the mount looks like a ball with magnet power to hold it steady. My concern is that vibrations would cause the iPad to droop over time.

I am only crititical of one thing on the iPad and that is the screen. Other than that it is great. I use mine all the time, just not in the RV in flight on sunny days. Glitches and overheating? Well you mentioned those, not me....the overheating issue is well documented. I just don't leave mine laying in the Sun. If you do, it will overheat and won't come on till it cools down. This is part of the design, not a bug.

Thank you Apple for making the screen brighter.

Unless they built a special one for you, the new Retina screen is not, too any significant degree, any brighter than the older iPad 1 and 2.

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Actually the ball is steel.

The magnet is on the back of the ipad and I am aware that it may cause a problem. My son uses one in a car and never had it slip. I don't know if it will or not at this point. Not flying yet, but good valid points. I use two ipads in both jets and turbo props without any problems. I hope it works in the RV. Not planning on having a compass and the magnemometer (sp) should be well out of range. (I hope).

I can't read my radio in my truck with polarized sunglasses. That's why I specifically bought new sunglasses that are not polarized. Thanks all for the advice..I got my ram mount parts ordered and some ideas..thanks.

cajunbird29

One of the problems that I have encountered by using a kneeboard(Knee Dock) or simply holding the IPad with Foreflight is an inadvertant touch on the LCD panel causing the display to change. I fly an RV7A and those of us who fly side by side RV's know how cramped they are for space.

I also have intentionally left the starboard half of my instrument panel space as unused as possible. I have an AFS EFIS that replaces steam gauges that would be all across the instrument panel. I have spoken to the tech support people who sell Ram mounts and they have made recommendations accordingly.

Getting the IPad away from the places that would be a problem for inadvertant touchin is only part of the issue. Someone on the forum mentioned glare issues with the IPad. That should be a simple problem to address with either and add on glare shield or some type of addition to the sun shades that many of us use in our cockpits on the undersurface of the canopy bubble.

Comments?

pics of my iPad mounting

This works great for me, as described in my earlier post to this thread. The HBC sign works great for shading the iPad when the sun angle isn't good. The Koger sunshade also helps. I use the iPad in my RV all the time, and it works just fine for me. I also have a glare shield coating on the iPad, which helps.

BASE MOUNT:
iPadMountBase.jpg

EXTENSION:
iPadMountExtension.jpg

iPad HOLDER:
iPadMountHolde.jpg

SHADE CARDBOARD:
iPadShader.jpg

Back