What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-320 gauge ranges?

sbalmos

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Going to try to set up my gauge ranges on my G3X Touch for my IO-320 engine this weekend. From what I've gathered out of the IO-320 Operator's Manual, and a little bit of anecdotal research, I've got the following so far. I'm looking for opinions or what you have set up.

CHT: Redline 400F max, yellow 370F-400F (temporarily will be 385F-400F during break-in), white below
Oil Pressure: Red below 25 PSI, white 25-80, yellow 80-115, redline 115 PSI
Oil Temp: White 140-200F, Yellow at 200F, redline 220F
Fuel Pressure: Redline 45PSI, Yellow 40, White 12-40, Red below 12 (FYI, this an EFII injection/ignition system with the fuel rail design)
RPM: Redline 2800, yellow 2750

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think you will find to to be an area of personal preference on much of this.
I personally would use oil temp yellow at 200 and red at 220. You will find it over 180 much of the time.
Your RPM is very high. I would use 2750 as yellow and 2800 as red.
The rest looks fine.
You may find that you change them a little as you get some time on it.
If you are breaking it in you may want to start with higher temps in the beginning to prevent distractions.
Congratulations for being that close.

Markings

Normal operating range is marked in green. On most Lycoming engines max oil pressure red line has been 115 for many years.

IMHO, Mike Busch has some really excellent articles/information in regards to at least the CHT and oil temp. Might be worth a read before setting your numbers.

As per the TCDS max oil temp is 245

Normal cruise should be between 185 and 210

Bob burns
N82rb rv-4

Thanks all. Ranges have been updated.

Mark - Yeah, I was going off of the data sticker on my prop. But come to think of it, every plane I've flown redlines at 2800. *facepalm*

JD - I even remember reading those articles by Mike a few months back. Thanks for reminding me.

As a side-note, during break-in I'm going to temporarily increase the floor of the yellow range on my CHTs to be 385-400. In normal life afterwards that'll be reduced back to 370-400.

RPM redline

Most current production Lycoming non helicopter engines are red lined at 2700. Some of the old 0 235 and 0 290 engines were rated at 2850 for five minutes for takeoff with the Sensenich and Aeromatic props.
Having said that, the TBO for AEIO Lycoming was originally 1200 hours and the parallel valve 320 and 360 engines will easily achieve that number running as high as 3500 r/m.

CHT

A momentary excursion to 425 for the first couple of flights probably will not hurt anything. Setting the timing to 22 degrees for break in will likely help keep the CHT's under 400. If you see them headed above 400 reduce power to 24-25" and increase airspeed. You may need to level off momentarily to keep CHT under control.

Back