What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing really old blue plastic film - success!!!

vfrazier

Well Known Member
Or green, or white, or clear. I don't think it matters. We're talking really old, really stuck on, really awful, really baked, protective films here.

Please, if your kit isn't at least 10 years old, please move on to the next thread without adding comments. This thread is for those who've dug a kit out of a hot barn, or the Florida sun, or the Arizona desert, and found that the protective film has baked itself to the aluminum with a vigor that the best Imron can only hope to achieve.

I have such a kit. It's spent the last 15+ years in the Florida heat, humidity, and indirect sun. The protective vinyl was coming off 1/8" squares and my fingernails were fading fast. This vinyl laughed at anything less than blowtorch heat, which I wasn't going to use on valuable aluminum anyway. It scoffed at everything in my chemical arsenal including: WD-40, IPA, acetone, paint thinner, Grafix Gone, 3M adhesive remover, ammonia, and so on.

I tried various eraser wheels, sandpaper scoring, plastic razor blades, warming it from the opposite side... nothing was working that wasn't in danger of damaging the aluminum.

I finally gave up on the wannabee techniques and dug out my jug of Stazwett stripper. You might recall this stuff being advertised in TAP as being used to strip the SR-71 Blackbirds.

This stuff worked. Fast. Easy. Brush it on, wait a few minutes, and then PEEL OFF THE ENTIRE SHEET OF FILM IN ONE PIECE!! I just about fainted.

Now that I finally know something that actually works on OLD stuck on protective film, I want to buy more. Anyone know who is making this, or a clone? It looks like it's off the market, or at least tough to find. Anyone?

Stazwett%201.jpg

http://www.vincesrocket.com/1 fileshare/Stazwett 1.jpg

Stazwett%202.jpg

http://www.vincesrocket.com/1 fileshare/Stazwett 2.jpg Showing the film after coming off in one piece... astounding! It came up as easily as picking up a wet towel.

Company Name:pOLYFIX INTERNATIONAL/REDAM CORP Address:912 ROSS AVENUE
Box:13240
City:HAMILTON
State:OH
ZIP:45013
Info Phone Num:800-234-4583 Emergency Phone Num:513-891-3388 Preparer's Name:GERALD J MADER CAGE:0M8R1

Product ID:pB 4000 GEL STAZ WETT PROFESSIONAL STRIPPER MSDS Date:05/15/1995
FSC:7930
NIIN:00F057121
Status Code:A

National Stock Number
7930-00F057121

Sources:
1. Aircraft Spruce
West = CA. (877) 4-SPRUCE
East = GA. (877) 4-SPRUCE

2. Aviall Aircraft Supply: FBO's and commercial sales 800-AVIALL-1

3. Wings & Wheels, NY (716) 763-3213