What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

dynon radio/intercom with no skyview?

prkaye

Well Known Member
Do any of you know if the Dynon COM radio and intercom units can be used independently, without a skyview system?

I havent tried it but I dont see why the intercom wouldnt work separately. The radio might work, however, you would lose the use of the buttons for twr, grd, etc. that get the data from the Skyview. I recall reading that Dynon said no on the radio but I could be wrong.

The radio does work without the skyview but, as stated, you lose the use of the buttons. You have to dial all freq's in manually.

As an add on question, can you use the DYNON radio with the SkyView display but a non Dynon intercom say like a Garmin GMA350?

:confused:

The Dynon intercom does not integrate with the Skyview system in any special way. It does match their other modules, which is why they made it, for a more aesthetically pleasing panel.

The Dynon COM does integrate with their system for great features with the extra buttons on the COM Panel. If the Skyview system fails you can still use the COM, but settings like squelch, mic gain, etc are set by the screen. If you wanted to adjust these settings, you would have to connect the COM to a Skyview system to make the adjustments. I assume they are either saved in the transceiver or the COM panel, so they may stay when going back to a non-Skyview panel, but I'm not sure.

As people have correctly said, the intercom will work in any two place aircraft.

The radio needs SkyView for setup. You can't set squelch, sidetone volume, and mic gain without SkyView.

Back