What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Logbook Entries

jahoosafat

Hi - I'm not the original builder of my RV-10, and I'm not an A&P. I'm trying to better understand what correct maintenance logbook entries should look like. I have an A&P do my condition inspection, so her entries are taken care of. But for instance, I change my own oil. Are the bottom 2 entries here kosher: https://www.screencast.com/t/Rendrlsv . I also had a licensed avionics shop install an upgraded ADS-B In unit. That shop tells me they're not allowed to make logbook entries (except for 2yr pitot/xponder cert). I have an invoice from them indicating "ACTION: Assisted customer with installation of Dynon SV-ADSB-142 ... etc." I have saved invoices like this, but I also wanted to make note of them with entries in my aircraft logbook. So do these look kosher: https://www.screencast.com/t/TUbAEdQSE . Any info is much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jeff

Traceability is the key

You will likely get varying responses to this post, and I wont claim to be an expert, though I am a 42yr APIA and spent plenty of time in the logbook. Its meant to keep track of the obvious and not so obvious things done over the lifespan of the aircraft. No matter if its a sign-off for annual condition inspection or touching up the paint the more accurate the trail left for the next owner, or yourself the better logbook it becomes (without being carried away). In your case, the AVX shop often works under a repair station certificate, and will issue a document stating their work. For you, an entry in the log would be similar to what you have posted. I'm not sure about the "assisted" phrase, as that wasn't mentioned on your part. As far as the oil change entries, those are fine. The statement of work document can be stapled in the page, of kept with external tags,certs,ect. It is much more difficult in the certified world, as the AVX shop would also have to produce a form 337 or 8110 in most cases. At the end of the day, be clear what another person has done for you, and if needed, make the entry "widget installed by XYZ, see attached statement of work" and move on. Also, you need to be sure the installation hasn't affected other systems or weight and balance...best to be upfront with installer before the work is performed. I have "rescued" several certified aircraft owners who acquired a new to them plane with a train wreck logbook that had items installed, but not documented.

As the owner of an EAB, you are only required to keep records of required inspections: annual condition inspection, biennial transponder and, for ifr, pitot static inspections. But as pointed out by the previous poster, keeping a good history of all work done benefits you, and, in the long run, re-sale value. The exact form is not important as long as the information is there - what was done, when, by whom.

Timing is perfect for me also, since I have the same question.
I have this log entry for my first engine oil change:
Oil and filter changed IAW SB480F. 9Qts Phillips X/C 20W-50. Engine test run and no leaks noted. Signature, Printed Name, PPL #

Then went crazy on my next 50 hour oil change.
Oil servicing completed IAW Lycoming SB480F. Drained oil and replaced with 9Qts Phillips XC20W50 and 14.4 Oz Camguard aviation oil additive. Collected oil sample for analysis. Replaced oil filter with Tempest AA48110-2. Removed, inspected and cleaned Oil Suction Screen. Inspected old oil filter. Both filter and screen found satisfactory. Reinstalled oil suction screen with new crush washer #06E19769-1.00. Oil filter and suction screen plug safety wired. Mouse milk oil applied to exhaust slip and ball joints. Visually inspected FWF. Replaced 3 loose wire ties (lacing). Applied red RTV between spark plug wire and EGT wire to cylinder #1. No other discrepancies found. Engine test run and no leaks noted. Signature, Printed Name, PPL #

Comments? Did I put too little in my first entry or too much in my second?

And.......

As the owner of an EAB, you are only required to keep records of required inspections: annual condition inspection, biennial transponder and, for ifr, pitot static inspections. But as pointed out by the previous poster, keeping a good history of all work done benefits you, and, in the long run, re-sale value. The exact form is not important as long as the information is there - what was done, when, by whom.

Don't forget the annual ELT inspection.

I enter everything that I do to the aircraft, date it and sign it. I use adhesive stickers like my A&P/IA does for legibility....print it up and stick it in the logbook. I want the logbook to tell the story of the airplane, not just hit the high spots. I put in there everything that I would want to know if I was a prospective buyer somewhere down the road, not just the stuff that the FAA say has to be in there.

Timing is perfect for me also, since I have the same question.
I have this log entry for my first engine oil change:
Oil and filter changed IAW SB480F. 9Qts Phillips X/C 20W-50. Engine test run and no leaks noted. Signature, Printed Name, PPL #

Then went crazy on my next 50 hour oil change.
Oil servicing completed IAW Lycoming SB480F. Drained oil and replaced with 9Qts Phillips XC20W50 and 14.4 Oz Camguard aviation oil additive. Collected oil sample for analysis. Replaced oil filter with Tempest AA48110-2. Removed, inspected and cleaned Oil Suction Screen. Inspected old oil filter. Both filter and screen found satisfactory. Reinstalled oil suction screen with new crush washer #06E19769-1.00. Oil filter and suction screen plug safety wired. Mouse milk oil applied to exhaust slip and ball joints. Visually inspected FWF. Replaced 3 loose wire ties (lacing). Applied red RTV between spark plug wire and EGT wire to cylinder #1. No other discrepancies found. Engine test run and no leaks noted. Signature, Printed Name, PPL #

Comments? Did I put too little in my first entry or too much in my second?

This looks like a good entry. To the original poster, you need to write your name, pilot certificate grade and number, and sign it. Tho original poster should also write in the part number oil filter installed. I like to also add that you ran the engine and no leaks were noted.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2015/august/27/aircraft-maintenance-logging-lessons
(In this article, I would add that he should change “pilot certificate number” to “private pilot certificate number” or “commercial pilot certificate number” . The difference being the type of certificate or grade, instead of just the certificate number)

As for the OP condition inspection entry, there is verbiage on your operating limitations that spell out how a conditional inspection entry should be worded. (You do keep your original operating limitations in the plane, right?)

Last edited:
Stickers in logs

As beautiful as computer generated labels are in your logbook, in twenty years or so they will be dried out and subject to peeling off and out. Suggest that if you do use labels, use a few staples to safety them in

Also if you use labels be wary of ink jet printers. Their ink will fade long before the adhesive gives out.

Last edited:
As beautiful as computer generated labels are in your logbook, in twenty years or so they will be dried out and subject to peeling off and out. Suggest that if you do use labels, use a few staples to safety them in

Archival adhesive labels (acid-free paper for laser printer) with modern adhesive...I'm confident that they will certainly last as long as I will have to worry about it :)

Back