What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best way to drill .505" hole for antenna?

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
My plan right now is to use a step drill that goes up to 1/2" and just over-do it a bit, by hand.

Is there a better way?

13mm drill bit? (.512")

I have done this once before but I've forgotten how I did it.

drill to 0.5" with step drill and take a couple thou off with the dogleg deburring tool, if you have one. Otherwise some abrasive cloth or file.

Maybe I'm just sloppy with the stepdrill, but I usually get some slight deformation when I use it.
I found the rotacut tool did a cleaner job because it has a center guide and little pressure is required. Then I use a deburr tool to go up slightly if needed.

Got it. THANKS.

I think the step drill plus a little finesse with a deburring tool sounds good and I do have one or two!

Thanks to all.

Upsizing

I have a tapered hand reamer that I use a lot for tasks like this.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer
A&P-IA-ATP

A 1/2" hole won't cut it? It really needs that extra 0.0025" clearence? What's the tolerance on the drawing?

i guess i would use a round file , as i have done in many places on my build.from a previous build i have a long tapered 6 fluted hand reamer . i used this all the time to get tight fits on switches etc. in my panel. much better feeling to see a tiny curl of metal come slowly off the edge of the hole rather than having a power drill instantly dig in. yes, one side of the work is slightly larger diameter than other side but you quickly get the feel of when you are almost there and a file quickly gets you there and the 6 flutes makes the holes round and when using it there is very little risk of over doing it. mine is 1/2'' diameter.

Back