What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gyroscopic Screwdriver

f14av8r

Well Known Member
This is my new favorite tool. I just completed my first condition inspection and used this tool exclusively for just about every fastener. You control the direction and torque with a simple turn of your wrist. Amazing! Available at Amazon and all the home stores. It's about $70 but worth every penny!
Randy
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-09%20at%206.04.40%20PM_zpsqo0amiwh.png

great tools category

Those gyro drivers are a big favorite here too. Black and Decker sells one that is palm size length. Lithium power and a little LED light in the front. Just a twist of the wrist and away she goes. So either Dewalt, better name or BD for half that price at Walmart. Great post. Every RV owner with screws to spin should have one or the other

The Black and Decker Version

Here's the B&D Version. I haven't used this one but one of the things I really like about the Dewalt tool is the straight, inline design. I found that made it very easy to grab from any angle, with either hand and in tight quarters. The B&D version is $30 less ($40) than the $70 Dewalt tool. Both have lights. The light on the Dewalt tool stays on for several seconds after releasing the ON button which makes it useful as a temporary flashlight. Not sure about the B&D model's light function.

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-09%20at%208.37.44%20PM_zpsmtcsvons.png

I have had the B&D model for over a year now. It does take a little getting used to but quickly becomes a favorite.
That said, I broke a landing light lens with mine just last week. I wanted to just use my own feel to finish tightening the screw holding it in - and accidentally pressed the go button as I was tightening, and crack went the lens!

I've been looking for a good "annual condition" driver. My question too relates to the torque control:
(a) is there enough torque to unscrew #8's coming out of nutplates?
(b) do they have a clutch to prevent overtightening or do you just have to guess when to twist your wrist?

That is cool technology! The one I have (Worx brand) is more old school, but Li-ion and powerful enough for #8 screws. The best feature is the extreme offset of the shaft that lets you get in tight spaces, and it telescopes too. Cheap too....$20-$30 at Lowe's.

I use the dewalt every day. If the screw is tight just use it as a screw driver to start then pull the trigger. It works great. I service HVAC systems and this tool allows you to remove and replace sheet metal screws without stripping them out.I paid $69 at home depot.i usually get three or four days out of the battery.

what makes it gyroscopic

I don't get it. What makes it gyroscopic vs previous battery powered screwdrivers?

You just turn it in the direction you want it to go - and it goes!No reverse or forward of course, the variable speed comes from how far you twist the drill, from very slow to speedy.
It really shines when taking inspection covers on or off. Plenty of torque on the BD model.
I like the looks of the WORX model above, some real advantages to it I think.

I don't get it. What makes it gyroscopic vs previous battery powered screwdrivers?

"Gyroscopic"

For an angular input (turn your wrist), you get a rotary output (the bit). That's the best way I can describe it in words.

It's kinda like learning to fly an airplane. For roll control, you move the stick (or yoke) a few degrees and hold it there (a step input) and the airplane rolls and continues to roll until you bring the stick (or yoke) back to neutral.

For the drill, a small step input (turn your wrist) and the bit turns slowly. The more you turn your wrist, the faster the bit (output) turns.

It's like a second order control system...step input, rate output. :eek:

Last edited:
Back