What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon SV vs D180

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I am aways away from the panel but will have a simple VFR panel. Always thougth the 180 would be the most bang for the buck but after looking at price lists it seems that a 7" SV with only engine monitoring added is about the same price as the 180. My thinking is the SV could be upgraded with the radio, intercome, GPS as the budget allows.

Am I looking at the costs sheets correctly? Anyone using the SV with the internal GPS, radio, and intercom?

I think you are probably reading things right. That said, there is something else to consider. The SV still has much to offer in the future, or probably so. The 180 is old technology, and nothing new will be added. Support will go on for some time, but your needs may change, and I would believe the SV may be more adaptable to those needs. I have an RV-9A with old Dynon technology (10A) and often fly a Skyview-equipped RV-12. The SV may be more than needed, but it is an amazing piece of glass. My vote is for the SV, but it is your money...

Bob

I'm running the 180 now and am very happy with it. However, if I were building now I'd go for the SV for the reasons previously stated. That is assuming the costs are close.

Same boat

I too have been researching the SV systems vs the Dynon legacy systems. I already have a complete legacy system with the lack of one autopilot servo, sitting on the bench ready to be installed. I just can't seem to commit to it for the reasons stated above. The SkyView system will contine to be improved upon for some time, while the legacy units are as far as they're going to go. That being said, you can most likely pick up some legacy boxes on the used markets at quite a considerable discount over purchasing new boxes.

Just my two cents...

Good luck!

Don't even consider getting the SV and NOT using the Dynon GPS receiver! The Dynon moving map and nav capabilities are phenomenal, free monthly data updates, etc.

Thanks for the input guys. Hard to decide on the 180 when the SV is about the same cost when purchased with the same functionality as the 180 and I like the ability to add the GPS, intercom, radio, and transponder which I will eventually get anyway.

A good deal on a D180? My bright screen 180 was $3400 new. How about $1700 for my used one? It works great and has the latest software update. Removed for Garmin 3X dual screen system installation. I can also sell you my G496W with XM and GPS antennas, and HS34 if you want to save some more money. Oh ya - almost forgot, Zaon MRX collision avoidance unit is available at a great price too.....

I think that is a pretty good deal; if only I was close enough to purchase but I am afraid I am still a few years out.

Back