What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Christmas in Arizona

Brandi

Well Known Member
We did it again... another wonderful trip across the country and back in this amazing machine we built together. Only this time, she looked pretty too. ;)

Around noon EST on Monday, December 23rd, the skies finally cleared up here (KRYY) enough to find a few holes in the clouds so we quickly grabbed a bite to eat and loaded up the plane. We didn't leave with full fuel because we found some on ForeFlight that was much cheaper in route (even though it turned out not to be - oh well). That left us making two fuel stops instead of one but, with me being 22 weeks pregnant, I wasn't complaining about stopping and walking around a bit more. Turns out that the headwinds were so bad that we would have had to stop twice anyways. We did a 2.5 hour leg to Pine Bluff, AR (KPBF), where we made our first fuel stop, then another 3.5 hour leg to Plainview, TX (KPVW), where we made our second fuel stop. From there we flew 3.3 hours to our destination, Ryan Field (KRYN), in Tucson, AZ.

It was about 9pm MST when we arrived at Ryan Field. Our grandparents picked us up from the airport and we spent the next day and a half in Tucson enjoying the time with family and the nice warm weather. On Christmas day, we packed up and headed to Show Low, AZ (KSOW) to spend a few nights with Granny and Brian's sister's family.

Before we departed Show Low on Friday, we loaded Granny up in the plane and headed for the Grand Canyon! She loved it. :)

On the way, we stopped in Sedona, AZ (KSEZ) to check it out. It's definitely on the top of the "Coolest airports we've been to" list. There was another RV-10 on the field but I didn't recognize it and we didn't see it's owner.

From Sedona, we headed to the Zuni Point GA Corridor at The Grand Canyon. Having never been there at all, I was super excited. What an AWESOME way to see the Grand Canyon!!

By this time, we were getting hungry so we flew over to Marble Canyon, AZ (L41) and had lunch. Another super neat place to fly into!! There really isn't an airport here; Just a Chevron, where you're supposed to register when you land, across the street from the landing strip and a small restaurant in the back of it.

After lunch we flew back to Show Low to drop off Granny, refuel and start our 4.6 hour trip to Austin, TX (KEDC). We spent the weekend with our friends in Austin and headed back home around 11am CST Sunday morning. We had a pretty nice tailwind and made it home in 3.8 hours.

The entire photo gallery of our trip can be found here.

Sounds like you had a wonderful flight, and time with family:D

Granny sure has "the grin":D

Small world, we were on the ramp in Sedona (with the Rocket) when you taxied in. We were parked next to the unpainted -10.

Im not sure how I missed your paint job but wow, that is nice! I remembered you getting ready to get it painted, but didn't see pictures until now. Very nice.

Congratulations on the future addition to your family. That is great news too!

Small world, we were on the ramp in Sedona (with the Rocket) when you taxied in. We were parked next to the unpainted -10.

Hey I was drooling over your rocket! I meant to go over and talk to you but there was another gentleman talking to you and it looked like you guys were heading out so I didnt want to delay you too much. It was a great day to share the plateau! :)

Well you should have stopped by. We were on vacation, and had only a short 30 minute hop down to Stellar Airpark in Chandler on our "to do" list for the day. Plenty of time to shoot the breeze.

I really enjoyed watching your trip "Real time". It was almost like being there:). Great Write up and pictures. It won't be long and Brandi will have company while she has to sit in the back seat for while.
We need to start planning our next adventure.

Perfect time of year, nice wright up. I'm getting my wife excited about traveling this area, this really helps.
Thanks,

Nice trip

Enjoyed the trip writ-up and pics:). Wow the -10 sure looks different than when i saw it at Triple Tree! Nice job...congrats on the coming addition!

Fun trip. Looks like there'll soon be another RV-10 with a baby in the back. Congratulations!

-Rob

Looks like a great trip. I'm not married (yet) but I look forward to taking trips like these in the future. Hoping to get into a 6a this year!

BrandiwithaBump

Congratulations girl!

All the best from Leisa, Steph Andrew and myself. Hope the next few months go well, and then brace yourself!

Now I am sure others are thinking this .......but will this baby be named in honour of Oshkosh and tents? Seems about the right timing... :roll eyes:

Hey PM me your address, I have a present for your new baby waiting to go!

Ohh and what is Brians secret? He looks younger every year not older! Leisa is so jealous!

Neat!

Neat trip. Brings back memories, as Carol and I flew the 10 out there and even went to Marble Canyon. That is a really neat place.
And Ryan Field holds a dear place in my heart, as that is where I soloed in 1977. Yes, I made a low pass first to chase the dinosaurs off of the runway. :)
It was pretty much an empty airport in the middle of nowhere back then.

I'm sure you will be building many more memories in the 10. Happy new Year!

Vic

Back