What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to TX from GA

beberle

My wife wants to go to a wedding in Austin, TX August 10th. I've never flown West of Alabama. Any tips/advice flying out 'west' would be appreciated:D KFFC to KEDC looks like a pretty easy straight-shot.

My current plan is to leave at dawn going and coming to avoid 100+degree weather and the roudier air.

thx,
Brian

I make this trip often from Dahlonega.

I used to make it comfortably in two legs, stopping in around Vicksburg area for reasonable gas and nice airports.

Now, we always stop in KMEI, Meridian MS. Great airport, FBO with transportation and excellent facilities and staff and good fuel prices. If you want to take the time, they have 3 courtesy vehicles to go eat in.

Next leg takes us to KRFI, Rusk, TX. Nice little airport with usually the cheapest gas around. This breaks the trip into 3 easy Legs and we arrive into KEDC, (Austin Excurive Airpark. Another great facility with friendly staff) with enough fuel to make the leg back to Rusk with plenty of fuel to reverse the course. EDC has lots of ramp space and tiedowns. It's an Executive Jet type of place but they still welcome us just like we were going to buy a thousand gallons. It used to Birdsnest Airpark for all you old, and I mean old, central Texans.

Even with the three legs it still takes slightly under 5 hours flying and we arrive ready for the BBQ.

Last edited:
TX

I regularly fly from N. E. Ga. (KAJR) to the Austin area (50R). My normal trip is with a stop at Talullah/Vicksberg (KTVR) which is almost exactly half way and directly under a straight great circle route from here to there. Depending on winds, it is 2:15-2:25 to that point. Makes for a nice fuel/rest stop along the way and most wives will appreciate that. Adds 30-45 minutes to the trip but well worth it

With you being a little South of my starting point, your stop might be further South along the Mississippi.

While there..take a short flight to Llano, grab the Coopers BBQ van at the airport and get some of the best BBQ. It takes me 5hrs from Indy to Llano, with one stop where ever the cheapest fuel is along the route.

Early Bird

If you are an early bird.... an early morning run over to T82 for a great breakfast at the airport diner.

Back