What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

C4B5 Crankcase

hillc95

Just exploring some options and getting some research/info. What would a good price be for a bare C4B5 Crankcase?

Not sure, but I have one available if you?d like to make an offer. Pictures and aerosport report also available. I can have it shipped directly from their shop to you.

Non-serviceable OK?

I still have a 550 case - and someone else has my 360 case - both non-serviceable. Both were free - just pay shipping. You should be able to get the same deal, as the parts are of no use in the assembling of an engine. Call your favorite engine or overhaul shop and ask!

I would always encourage working with fellow RV'ers, so certainly work with walker172, but if that doesn't work out, I got a used case from Gary Barber, Outlaw Aircraft as a package deal with other engine parts. You can reach him at (863) 698-0383‬. I bought it on the contingency that it pass inspection at DIVCO, which it did. They overhauled it, did SB's and shipped to me for about $1500.

Do note that there are several part numbers that will work with a C4B5 engine, which is essentially the same as D4A5 - the differences are the auxiliaries it came with and power rating based on the designated prop combo. Once you remove the accessories (alternators, starter, fuel pump, governor, etc...), it's the same engine. Incidentally, a wide case TIO-540 crankcase is essentially the same case with some extra bosses thrown in.

I don't know if you're just trying to source a replacement case or building from scratch, but if you're building your own, there are lot of cases that will do. Note that Lycoming has substantially reduced case and crankcase prices, so a brand new one from AirPower Inc can be had for $6367, so keep that in mind if you're shopping for a used case as I've seen them priced used above that, notably some on eBay

...caveat emptor.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I would absolutely like to work with a fellow RVer on this, and yes, I would be building from scratch. My thought is that would allow me to "piecemeal" the purchases over a period of time (which would help out immensely) although buying a whole engine isn't out of the question. I just want to make sure I don't end up spending more on the sum as opposed to the whole and this is new territory for me so I'm trying to get my ducks in a line.

You are almost certainly going to pay considerably more for a "piecemeal" engine than a whole. That's the whole concept of breaking up engines and propellers for sale - they bring more money in pieces.

Also don't underestimate the cost of small parts like gears, shafts, and cylinder hold down hardware. Stuff that you take for granted on a complete engine can be eye watering to procure separately.

Yes, if you price out all of the parts from Lycoming for an IO-540, it will definitely cost more than a complete engine, but one can certainly be built reasonably and for less than a new one. The key is to buy a rebuildable core, or at least a near-as-complete engine, which is why my reference to Gary Barber who is a good source for "basket kits".

Another advantage is to build the engine exactly the way you want, which could include custom EFII, cylinders, compressions, exhaust, cam grind, intake, etc... my engine would be considered very custom in that regard, hence the IO-540-X designation (although I could have labeled it "Millennium Falcon 2" if I desired). Now, you can surely have someone else build the engine the way you want too, but THAT will cost substantially more than a base engine.

Some folks just want to buy a complete engine, for any number of reasons. But the main features of experimental aviation are recreation and education, so I say enjoy your build - get an overhaul manual, get help, ask lots of questions, learn, recreate and have fun. You'll know a lot more about your engine as a result.

Last edited:
I really do appreciate all the input. As of now I found a good deal on a complete -C4B5 and have contacted someone recommend on this forum to do a builder assist with me for a reasonable price. Unless anything changes that'll be the route I take. Saving money is obviously a factor but knowing about my engine in and out is something that appeals to me as well.

This is what I am doing right now. I found a crank (Standard/Standard) and a case. Had the case sent to Oklahoma for inspection. Crank (and camshaft/various other parts) verified by AEA in Dallas. That's most of the meat.

I just had a O-360 rebuilt for a 172 that I'm currently flying. Had 4 of those cylinders and a couple more that the guy I'm using to build the IO-540 (same one that did the O-360). Overhauled cylinders aren't the same as new, but the price savings make it worth it to me.

I'll have to buy some new parts when I want the engine built, but the total cost "should" be around $30K-32K. I'm finishing the cabin top/doors and putting the wiring in the wings, so for now, I can wait.

When he does build it, I'll be there watching and learning. That's what I'm most excited about honestly.

Back