What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tire air valve extension

jacksel

Well Known Member
I lost the tire air valve extension I've been using for years on my RV-6. It always made servicing the tires a lot easier. It's about 5" long and eliminates having to remove part of the wheel fairing. Does anyone remember who sells them?

Haven't lost one yet... but will likely need one.

Who's selling these?

Thanks,

Rob

I found them on the rack at Napa. Sorry no part number for you. watch out, some have an extra deep thread on them, I guess for use with heavy trucks or something.

Inflator Tool is best

I agree with Reiley, the inflator tool is a superior solution. If you want the cheaper / simpler valve stem extensions you can get them at any truck stop or auto parts store.

If you get the inflator from Cleaveland you should also consider adding the nickel plated buttons to cover the hole in the pants and the nice little valve cap remover / replacer they sell for $14. Just do a search on their site for "tire inflation" and you'll see all these products.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-26%20at%204.39.52%20PM_zpsnmgyadhc.png

Aircraft Extras

If you want a simple, flexible, valve extension I like mine from Aircraft Extras. It has no fill valve or gauge built-in, but it's small enough to fit easily in your flight bag and it's low cost. It's rubberized and about 5" long. John

Last edited:

I have this one. It has a Schrader valve at the end with a shaft down the center that is supposed to open the valve at the tire when depressed by inflator.....which it does not do. It is as if the shaft is just too short.
I also have the cap removal tool that you can buy with it. The cap removal tool does not fit over the hexagonal caps that are generally used in aviation.
I bought this combination set. http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Valve-Stem-Extension-_-Cap-Remover-Set/productinfo/VSSET/#.Vd8i0E3luUk
Just a heads up!!
Johan

Hole to fill tires

So, I'm just now finishing my wheel pants. Are you saying with these 2 tools, the removal tool and extension, you can put air in the RV tires without taking off the wheel pants? If so, what size and location hole do you recommend?

So, I'm just now finishing my wheel pants. Are you saying with these 2 tools, the removal tool and extension, you can put air in the RV tires without taking off the wheel pants? If so, what size and location hole do you recommend?

3/4". You can buy a plug at most hardware stores if you don't want to leave the hole open

Just FYI the Valve Inflation Tools (the one shown above with the gauge) went crazy at OSH and we are out until the middle of October. We can still take backorders and send when available.

Mike, I too have the same problem that Dorfie above did with your inflator extension (not the full inflator with gauge). The shaft inside doesn't depress the valve stem, as if it's too short. Any recommendations for a field fix?

I got mine at a local NAPA store. They have multiple lengths and chrome or brass :eek: finish. Don't leave home without one!

Of course the other part of this item is painting a white dot on the bottom of the tire when the valve is lined up with the fairing hole.

Darn, I tried painting the bottom of my tire with a white rattle can.
Maybe I need a picture or something... the paint is everywhere but on the bottom....

Seriously though, when I see simple solutions like this I just smack my head and say, "why did I take all those screws out last time the tire looked low, but turned out to be just fine?"

I am headed for NAPA.

I like using a tire crayon on the sidewall. You can get 'em at O'Reilly's or Pep Boys. Stays put for a long time, but you'll want to touch it up occasionally.

I like using a tire crayon on the sidewall. You can get 'em at O'Reilly's or Pep Boys. Stays put for a long time, but you'll want to touch it up occasionally.

White-out (remember typing errors?) will stay on the tire.........:D

RV-10

Anyone found a way to use one of these on an RV-10?

The valve stem protrudes at such an awkward angle it takes 2 hands to attach a
Inflator tool.
No way I could do this with the wheel pants on.
At about 2 month inflation intervals,I am taking a look at the wheel and brake assembly while the nose cone of the wheel pants are off, so it offers opportunity
While a bit inconvenient

I have this one. It has a Schrader valve at the end with a shaft down the center that is supposed to open the valve at the tire when depressed by inflator.....which it does not do. It is as if the shaft is just too short.
I also have the cap removal tool that you can buy with it. The cap removal tool does not fit over the hexagonal caps that are generally used in aviation.
I bought this combination set. http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Valve-Stem-Extension-_-Cap-Remover-Set/productinfo/VSSET/#.Vd8i0E3luUk
Just a heads up!!
Johan

Jeez, let us know! I am happy to replace it. We have had a decent number or rejects on these. We make sure that the 'core' is threaded all the way in and not partially out. Then we use the end of a caliper to check the distance up from the end of the tool to the end of the brass core extender. We saw some problems with them a year or more ago, but I have not heard lately (except the two here today). I had thought that we were measuring 100% of these that came in, but will check on that, and on the required dimension.

On the 'hex caps' with the removal tool, we send the tool with three round caps with rubber backup seals in the end of them to replace the hex caps. Did you not receive these? Anything is returnable to us, if you are not happy we want to hear from you.

Mike

Mike, I too have the same problem that Dorfie above did with your inflator extension (not the full inflator with gauge). The shaft inside doesn't depress the valve stem, as if it's too short. Any recommendations for a field fix?

Sorry for no reply, I just found out that Gmail was filtering notifications as spam.

Jeez, let us know! I am happy to replace it. We have had a decent number or rejects on these. We make sure that the 'core' is threaded all the way in and not partially out. Then we use the end of a caliper to check the distance up from the end of the tool to the end of the brass core extender. We saw some problems with them a year or more ago, but I have not heard lately (except the two here today). I had thought that we were measuring 100% of these that came in, but will check on that, and on the required dimension.

On the 'hex caps' with the removal tool, we send the tool with three round caps with rubber backup seals in the end of them to replace the hex caps. Did you not receive these? Anything is returnable to us, if you are not happy we want to hear from you.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I bought mine more than 2 years ago. I did not receive any non-hexagonal caps with it. I would really like to get this working.
I will PM you.
Thanks.
Johan

For those following the last few replies...

After a ton of digging it seems that the spec. for the valve core is 0.010" to 0.030" recessed from the face of the valve stem.

The company that makes the extensions say that due to thread variations, length of core and tube, and difficulty in measuring, they test each one on a valve stem that is .030 recessed to make sure it works.

I have tested 100% of our stock (as did the mfg.) and they all work. We will be replacing the two customers that we have discovered through this thread that don't work. If anyone else if having trouble, please let us know.

Thanks,
Mike

But what about the valve cap?

My problem was that my SJ wheel fairings are so close to the tire that I can't get my fingers up in there to remove the valve cover (the little black rubber dingus to keep dirt out). I made one out of some metal tubing, split it with a saw and again at perpendicular to the first cut. I made the cuts long enough to allow me to bend the tabs outward enough that I can put the "tool" through the hole to grasp, twist and even remove the cap through the hole. Usually, it stays in the tool and can be reinserted by reversing the process.

I didn't see this in the OP but I can't be the only one with the problem, can I?

Cleveland tool

Ordered 2 extensions. One for the hangar and one for a travel kit.
Modified the main wheel pants w small door. Used a laser pointer to mark the spot to drill. Works wonderful. Airing tires takes way less time.
I remove the wheel pants every 3rd or 4th time to visually check the break.
Plan on changing to a sturdier liner when these finally fail. I'm frugal that way

Rodney

RV-7A

Any updates to this? I seem to recall a site that extensions and even had an inflator that had a rigid extension on the end of it, meaning you didn't have to screw on an extender and then use your normal inflator on the end of the extension.

Ideas?
TIA - Thanks in Advance (AdvTHANKSance)

Back