What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interesting runway your RV has visited

tc1234c

Well Known Member
After posting the narrowest runway I have landed I thought to share the interesting runway I have landed. I have been to a few but not always have a good photo. This one is Jackson County Airport (24A) in North Carolina. It is on top of a mountain. Part of the runway fell down the hill and the runway is shortened. Runway 3003 x 50 ft, elevation: 2856.7 ft.

13641.jpg

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

Monument Valley UT25

Have to include this one. One way and beautiful. Dimensions: 4000 x 75 ft, Elevation: 5192 ft.

MVI_4898.jpg
video capture during departure.

Heh, you can take off the same way you land, just left traffic only and don't delay your crosswind... :eek: Actually, landing there gave me a moment when I realized I was flying straight at a wall. Then I got my picture back when I looked at the runway and it was fine after that. Good restaurant, but a bit of a hike so call ahead and arrange a shuttle.

I don't have a picture, but I love landing on the 'aircraft carrier', Sedona, AZ. And their restaurant has great views, both of airplanes and rocks.

One that I've not been into in my own plane is the Bar 10 ranch in the west of the Grand Canyon (outside the park but coming from KFLG we have to dodge the airspace a bit). It's an interesting experience flying in there. Go with a group if you want the ranch to feed you or arrange to take one of the canyon tours.

Ward, California, 10 mi ENE of Crescent City CA. Flying into CC and I could see the ocean, could see the city, but the airport was reporting 100-foot ceilings and 1/4 mile visibility, so I detoured to this little airport down in a hole in the valley.

warda.jpg

greg

24A

That runway has a bit of slope to it too; landing to the north it's amazing how quick you stop. It was my first "mountain" landing.

Last time I was there, they were doing a bunch of construction. I think it included removal of the runway before the threshold. Fuel was regularly unavailable so it's been replaced by an airport in SC. The fuel is cheaper and it's more practical: AIP, long rwy, maintenance facilities...

It's a fun place to fly to but I'm not sure I'd leave an airplane there anymore. Last time we did it was on the way to OSH. We left a car there during the few days we left and someone syphoned our gas. We landed late one night and the night watchman told us that kids from the college like to vandalize the airport. After meeting the guard, I did not feel comfortable with the airport security. The guard closes the gate and is good about checking that if remains closed after someone goes through but that gate and sole camera is as good as it gets.

Heh, you can take off the same way you land, just left traffic only and don't delay your crosswind... :eek:

I am sure our RV can do it without much a problem. But, it means you have back taxi a long way down.

I don't have a picture, but I love landing on the 'aircraft carrier', Sedona, AZ. And their restaurant has great views, both of airplanes and rocks.
I got a picture for you. Approach from the north and landing on 21 is exciting for the first time visitor (me). On the cross wind you face some big rocks. On final again you pass over a big rock before reaching the runway. Since it is so beautiful and unique I had my wife taking video. Due to technical problem we tried twice (full stop and no touch and go). Unfortunately the clip was deleted by mistake.
IMG_8625.JPG

Not THE most interesting....but AN interesting one that I happen to have a picture of....

Duluth Sky Harbour
IMG_0249.jpg

Not THE most interesting....but AN interesting one that I happen to have a picture of....

Duluth Sky Harbour

This runway isn't for the faint of heart, there is almost always a nasty crosswind there. There is not much room off the sides of the runway if you lose directional control...

East Sound, Wa

Here is a picture from our August trip to the San Juan Islands. This is East Sound, Orcas Island, Wa taken in August, 2009.

20090821_076.jpg

Johnson Creek, Id

This is picture turning the corner from Yellow Pine to final for south runway at Johnson Creek, Id for a week of camping and hiking.

20070703_073.jpg

Last edited:
Watson Lake

Watson Lake, Canada, is a common stop on the way to Alaska. This was taken on our Alaska trip in August 2007.

20070801_220.jpg

Anchorage, Alaska

On final to Merrill Field on nice VFR day for Alaska. We were really happy to see this airport on this "nice" day.

20070804_952.jpg

Seward, Ak

On final into Seward Alaska in August 2007 in an RV7a after flight over Harding Ice Field.

20070806_426.jpg

Yakatat, Alaska

This was on final into Yakatat, Alaska in our RV7a. This is the most remote airport that we have had the rv into. It is on the coastal route from Seward to Ketchican Alaska. We were happy to see this airport also.

20070808_561.jpg

Ketchikan, Alaska

RV7a approaching Ketchikan. Airport on the island to the right, travel by ferry across bay to Ketchikan on the left. The "bridge to nowhere" was proposed here.

20070808_881.jpg

Copalis Beach, WA, a state airport

qqec6v.jpg

Cabin Creek, ID,a forest service strip at 4900MSL
200fn85.jpg

Wilson Bar, ID, another forest service strip on the Salmon river
24c9e.jpg

Lords Flat at 6000MSL above Hells Canyon
2rzw57q.jpg

Gravel bar on local river
117zmn5.jpg

Lords Flat should qualify as most narrow runway

Last edited:
What are the black strips across the runway at Cabin Creek? Erosion prevention I assume, but surely not solid material?

If they are like the ones I've come accross before they will be made of fairly thick/stiff rubber material (usually with a cloth cord in the center, something like the sidewal of an automotive tire).

Great Pictures!!

What size are you tires? Did you modify the wheel pants other than make the opening larger?

Thanks for the pictures.

Lord Flat in a RV 10!!! WOW

WOW!! I'm impressed! You landed a RV 10 at Lord Flat!
My brother wanted me to fly him there in my RV 7... I went and buzzed it; several low passes to check it out... and finally said no.

Yes please tell us about your tires - they look bigger than normal.

Dave C
RV 7

Questions?

I am located at Aurora,OR, so if you are familiar you can figure what river it is. The black rubber stripes are water bars to prevent erosion. Cabin creek is 8% uphill and has washed out several times. Pretty hard to repair, no roads anywhere near, and no power equipment allowed in the wilderness.

The tires are 8:00 X 6 on the mains, and 7:00X6 on the nose. All three wheels are off a C-206 with the doublepuck brakes. The nose strut is reinforced.

End of thread....

Tim,

We may as well end this thread right here. I doubt anyone is goint to top your list of "interesting runways".
You have my utmost respect.

Tim, forgive me if you have already answered this elsewhere, but what kind of airpspeed penalty do you see with the big tires?

-A

RE:Thread HiJack....Sorry

Alright already I know that this breaks the specifics of this thread..my RV @ an interesting airstrip but ...

I thought this might interest some of you folks that love to explore ghost towns after landing on a pretty rough road... Cessna 185 at Grand Gulch Mine Az. Wonderful day of flying, Landing/taking off, and exploreing.

One of the mine trucks..........

Frank @ 1L8 ... RV7A ... will never land at Grand Gulch....Flying

Last edited:
Is Lords Flat = Memaloose?

Looking at the Great Falls sectional, there is a strip that seems to fit the description of Lords Flat, but its called Memaloose (25U) at 6700 ft.

Is that it?

I'm really impressed - that RV-10 has been places I HOPE to take my RV-8 when I develop more short/soft field skill.

Wow!

Here is a picture from our August trip to the San Juan Islands. This is East Sound, Orcas Island, Wa taken in August, 2009.

20090821_076.jpg

Thanks so much for that picture. I spent probably 10 summers in the condos across that little harbor to the left while I was growing up. Nice to see that it's all still there. I've never flown into that strip, but now it's high on my list...

Lord Flat = Memaloose?

No, Lord Flat is not Memaloose. I don't think Lord Flat shows on the sectional. Lord Flat is NW of Memaloose and W of Spencer.

Dave C
RV 7

Questions?

Regarding speeds, my top speeds seem to be 6 or 7 kts less than factory quoted speeds. I also have vortex generators on the wings and elevator, plus strakes on the elevator which may have some effect. I don't push it very hard, and normally fly at 60% at 150 to 155 kts on less than 11 gpm on mogas. Pretty good economy for a plane this size.

Lords Flat is near Memaloose, but a little lower at 6000 ft. Memaloose is more of a airstrip, although pretty rough. Lords Flat is just a single track road on top of a ridge. There is an old Indian burial ground there.

Tim

Someone HAS to have a picture of their RV turning 1/4 mile file, gear down, hook down, "calling the ball" while in the groove to come over the fantail and catch the three wire?!?!?

Ryan in Madison

Oh, man -- does this place bring back memories. Gas pump nozzle there is 1-1/4" galvanized pipe, with a serious recoil. And I remember going into the terminal to file a flight plan, with my 14-year old son in tow. Talking to FSS on the phone, and in the background the noise -- and the characters -- were straight out of the Star Wars bar scene. Hopefully FSS was used to hearing that from pilots in Yakatat.

This was on final into Yakatat, Alaska in our RV7a. This is the most remote airport that we have had the rv into. It is on the coastal route from Seward to Ketchican Alaska. We were happy to see this airport also.

20070808_561.jpg

one more from Yakatat

Yes, Yakatat is certainly an "interesting" place in the middle of no where with this "lodge" and an eagle perched on top of the hangar.

20070808_590.jpg

Pacific City, Or

Pacific City Oregon is interesting because the beach is close, just to the right of this picture and is always a nice place for a walk on the beach. North up the beach is a sand dune to climb with a great view. The last time we were flew in here was with two other RVs in Aug 2008. The Grateful Bread bakery in town has best blackberry cobbler around.

20080828_074.jpg

Lynchburg; Falwell (W24)

i flew into falwell years ago and was amazed at the pitch in the runway. its is a take off 10 land 28 only. taking off on 10 with the rv i was airborne before the drop off point. google shows a 40' difference in height from one end to the other. if anyone in the area has a pic send it to me and i will post it here. :)

Picture of base-to-final Pacific City OR

Here is a picture of the airport I described earlier in this thread, where downwind and base are over clouds
(and the Pacific Ocean for that matter).
These clouds just sort of hang right where you see them, and
don't move. I had to trust the locals on this, and they were
right!

On%20final%20for%2034%20PFC%20OR.JPG

That is a lot of trust....

These clouds just sort of hang right where you see them, and
don't move. I had to trust the locals on this, and they were
right!

On%20final%20for%2034%20PFC%20OR.JPG

Must have been a summer day with heat in the valley. The clouds move just off the coast and hang there all day, then move back over land at night, next day, repeat.

Make sure you visit the Pellican Brewery and have lunch. You can also get their excellent bear in quart containers to go. Highly recommended.

Carrier landing

Re: "Someone HAS to have a picture of their RV turning 1/4 mile file, gear down, hook down, "calling the ball" while in the groove to come over the fantail and catch the three wire?!?!?"

There are two mothballed carriers tied up just north of Newport, RI. I'm sure if the wind was right you could put an RV down on there without a tailhook . . .

You could probably take off fine, too, since the decks are wide open. The Navy security guys might have something to say about that, though . . .

TDT
RV-10 #40025 (no tailhook)

Aeroflex-Andover (12N) - Andover, NJ

Not sure if I qualify for the thread in this rented high-wing, but this is one of my favorite airports. Lakes on both ends. The runway is 1981'x50' I think, and has been unpainted for seemingly over a year. I was taking my tailwheel training here until the weather in the area just forced that onto a back burner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D2JmpLuFGE

I am located at Aurora,OR, so if you are familiar you can figure what river it is. The black rubber stripes are water bars to prevent erosion. Cabin creek is 8% uphill and has washed out several times. Pretty hard to repair, no roads anywhere near, and no power equipment allowed in the wilderness.

The tires are 8:00 X 6 on the mains, and 7:00X6 on the nose. All three wheels are off a C-206 with the doublepuck brakes. The nose strut is reinforced.

Tim,

Looks like you went the extra mile. What if a builder only went with the c-206 main wheels and the double puck brakes? Would that give the 90% solution for these strips?

What about on a regular basis, i.e., would the wear and tear on the wings, gravel etc on the up chuck be a problem in the long run? Just curious if the 10 could be used for a serious bush plane?

ajay

Southeastern Aircraft...

FD 30 just west of Ft. Pierce, Fl. is only 14' wide by 2600' long. We went in there on Monday to deliver an AT 502 and I picked up my buddy, the pilot....the narrowest strip my -10 has been to. I couldn't avoid the grass side, turning around! Actually, it's a 100' wide grass strip with a 14' paved ribbon down the middle.

I'll see if I can find a picture...

Best,

Back