What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need size wrench for VA-106 axle nut

werxcv01

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the size wrench to use on the VA-106 axle nut that holds the wheels on? I think this is used on the -4 and -6 models as well as the -8, and maybe on the -7 and -9. I think it is either 1-1/8" or 1-1/2" because I used a trailer hitch ball wrench at last condition inspection. Thanks.

Cheap wrench at Walmart

Walmart sells a large wrench for about $12 bucks intended to install trailer hitch balls. It is perfect for those RV axle nuts and self- defense also!

Klein sells an 8” crescent wrench that opens up to 1.5” that works well. I know, I hate crescent wrenches, but for that nut we are talking a little more than hand tight. Have one of those trailer hitch wrenches but don’t use it for that since it is so big.

Knipex Pliers

Does anyone know the size wrench to use on the VA-106 axle nut that holds the wheels on? I think this is used on the -4 and -6 models as well as the -8, and maybe on the -7 and -9. I think it is either 1-1/8" or 1-1/2" because I used a trailer hitch ball wrench at last condition inspection. Thanks.

For larger fasteners like this I really love the Knipex:

KNIPEX Tools - Pliers Wrench, Chrome (8603250), 10-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X4OG94/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Bi85FbF5YR6RB?psc=1

For those not familiar, these are NOT Channel Locks or a version of a Crescent wrench. The jaws are true parallel motion, and the grip is micro adjustable to fit exactly on what you’re grabbing.

After buying an expensive 1.5" socket I found out that the cheap "socket" for a water heater element fits.

In any case you can easily make do with a pipe wrench, monkey wrench, adjustable spanner, adjustable pliers, or whatever you have handy.

You will not have to apply a lot of torque, just enough to set the bearings, making it hard to turn the tire by hand, then back off until it turns freely, but not enough that you can detect wobble.

This would easily do and Home Depot has it too:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-...liUa67TTdsOFKv3xZfBoCx38QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...athon-Water-Heater-Elements-PT49057/300126883

Finn

Last edited:
Why are people installing the VA-106 axle nut so tight that it needs a wrench to get it off?

The wheel bearings do not last when they are tight. Last time I check, each wheel used two bearings and they were $35 each.

IF I need a wrench to tighten the axle nut and a wrench to remove it, I have been doing it wrong for the past 23-years and 3,498 flying hours.

Last edited:
Agree

Why are people installing the VA-106 axle nut so tight that it needs a wrench to get it off?

The wheel bearings do not last when they are tight. Last time I check, each wheel used two bearings and they were $35 each.

IF I need a wrench to tighten the axle nut and a wrench to remove it, I have been doing it wrong for the past 23-years and 3,498 flying hours.

- Maybe someone already galled the threads.

I asked about the size of the axle nut after reading vlittle’s post to the “Facts or insightful opinions please” thread where he shared a photo of a large crescent wrench strapped in the cockpit as a canopy breaker and a useful tool to have for AOG repairs. After reading joe_rainbolt’s thread “Road trip by air” in which he tells about having a flat while on the trip, I decided I should pack a spare tube and tire talc in the airplane just in case. That got me to thinking about lying under the plane on 100 degree asphalt trying to get the axle nut off to change a flat at a remote airport somewhere in the South. I plan to get a large enough wrench for that nut that will double as a canopy breaker. I have the hitch ball wrench/personal defense weapon but it is too big to mount in the cockpit.

That got me to thinking about lying under the plane on 100 degree asphalt trying to get the axle nut off to change a flat at a remote airport somewhere in the South.

Frankly if that is your main concern getting the nut of is the least of your problems.

First time I had a flat away from home biggest issue was lifting my RV-8. Took three people crawling under the wing lifting it up with their backs to put wood under the landing gear so I could remove the tire.

Now considering that you won’t always find 3 people willing to crawl under your airplane lifting it with their back and I am getting older ... I put a jack point on the inside of each landing gear which allows a cheap and light weight car jack to lift my RV-8 (forgot the name but somebody sells those and they screw in with the 4 axial bolts). I leave the wheel pants off as they get damaged on unimproved runways anyway... .

So the second time I had to change the tire it was actually a one man job... . I do carry a crescent wrench. Not something I would use for standard maintenance but has a lot of more uses in a pinch then a wrench that just fits that one application.

Oliver

Back