What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tony T.

NASA515

Well Known Member
What is a friend? Friends are special. But that word is thrown around rather loosely. Too loosely for my taste. Tony Tessitore fills the bill in my book. He's a very special guy.

Most people on this Forum know Tony. He is a prolific contributor. His postings are always knoweldgeable and on-point. He is ever helpful. His photo website has become the "Go-To" place for anyone building an RV-12. He has helped many builders via his comments. And via personal visits and demo flights. He has personally helped local builders during their journey. And, he has personally helped me - and gone way beyond the call of duty. Way beyond.

i-pJzPqhN-L.jpg

A little over a year ago, I had decided to get back into flying via the LSA route, and after many hours of study and a few demo rides, and a visit to Vans, had zeroed in on the RV-12. I really didn't want to build an airplane - I wanted to buy a completed airplane and start flying. But first, - my yet-to-be airplane needed a home. I decided it was not going to sit out in the rain and wind, and needed a hangar, but my visits to local airports drilled a bunch of dry holes. If I had to wait five years, then either I was going to trailer it home, or buy a boat instead.

That's when Tony entered my life. I joined VAF, and posted about trailers. That led to negative discussions about the practicality, which led in-turn to hangar discussions. Tony T. responded, and with his info and encouragement, I was able to re-drill some of those hangar explorations and obtain one at Bremerton Airport (KPWT) - it turned out, for gosh sakes - to be the exact same hangar Tony had used to complete his own airplane. Talk about coincidences. I didn't even realize at the outset that he was local to me.

With a hangar in hand, I became like the movie Field of Dreams - "If I build it, it will come..." And, it did - soon after, as I bought a partially built kit from Oklahoma. I thought I was in for a quick finishing job before hitting the Wild Blue Yonder - but such was not the case. Wrong! Wrong! and Wrong again! A lot of the accomplished work was deficient and had to be re-done. Fuel system. Brake/hydraulic system. Wing wiring. And then, the Skyview and Avionics installation.

i-Rkbzhbb-L.jpg

Almost a year's work lay ahead of me. Had I known then, what I know now - well, you know, "Experience" is what you get from a lot of "bad expeiences." Without Tony, I'd be dead in the water -working on a five year project. Maybe looking for a buyer. He took me under his wing, and supplied tools, expertise, encouragement - and man-hours. And rides in his own airplane. Which doesn't mean he popped his head in the hangar from time to time. For Tony to "pop in", meant two not-inexpensive ferry rides, and an all-day proposition. He made many. In the heat of the summer and the cold and wet of the winter. Always with a smile. I bribed him constantly with clam chowders from the airport diner.

Which brings me to Wednesday - Jan 23, 2013. It was a long day - starting at 5 AM - cold, dark, wet - Tony had to catch the 5:50 AM ferry. It was the end of a year long trail trying to build an airplane. How did I get myself into this??? Day after day, every day - a long drive - cold - hot - wet - many self-doubts.

Finally, -- the FAA came to look. Recall that last summer, the Seattle FAA MIDO had a falling out with the FAA FSDO, which had been doing Amateur Build airplanes. The FSDO used Delegation exclusively via DARs. The MIDO took over, wanting to more closely control the process, and also used the DARs. I started coordinating with the local DAR and arrived at an agreement as to how the airplane would be configured for Inspection.

But, the DAR, who also did large airplanes, wound up spending months overseas. There were no other E-LSA qualified DARs in the area. I submitted my Application to the MIDO, and after months of handing it off from person to person, it was decided that since the FAA had done little or no inspections, they would do it themselves, to make me a test case and gain a little OJT for themselves. Wonderful. I always wanted to be a guinea pig for the FAA, especially after having worked with the Seattle MIDO for several decades via Boeing. Well, at least I saved the bucks I would have had to pay the DAR.... I knew I could use some of that money to buy the needed aspirins and antacid tablets.

Jan 23, was the day. Two guys from the FAA MIDO showed up. I was nervous. Very. Armed with flashlights and mirrors, they launched into checking everything. And then some. A stray washer under the battery. A loose locknut lying in the tailcone. There were more than a few very anxious moments - I thought I had an exceptionally clean airplane - but there seemed to be no satisfying these guys. I started pulling panels they agreed could be left on.

I couldn't have done any of it without my friend and mentor - Tony T. At one point, he dove under the instrument panel to install a few missing screws - emerging with hands bloodied, but a smile on his face. His efforts were beyond mere "friendship." After a few hours, we whispered to each other that we were probably in for a bust. But, we kept working off the discrepancies they found. After about six hours, including an engine run, they wrote up the paperwork, and presented me with my new Certificate of Airworthiness.

i-VVPffSG-L.jpg

Done! - I was done. The airplane was Complete. Registered, and now deemed Airworthy. I needed a drink. We both did. I needed to sit down and rest. As one of the posters on the Forum says - It's not the building , so much as the perseverance to keep building......

I've been working on airplanes my whole life, but Lordy - I've now actually BUILT an airplane.......

But more than that, I've acquired a friend, and seen what TRUE friendship is all about. From the get-go. From finding a hangar at the very beginning all the way through the Certification, Tony was there. Saying THANKS isn't nearly enough, so I'll say it in front of the whole RV-12 world. Who already know that Tony T. is one helluva guy. Sierra Hotel.

Bob Bogash
N737G
Registered
Airworthy

i-HQgPP2b-L.jpg

Congratulations Bob on fulfilling a dream! I really enjoyed reading your post. Friends are a big part of our journey on earth and it is awesome to hear of the very unique one you have made. Posts like yours are what attract new folks like myself to the world of Experimental. Thank You

Now, that's an airworthiness write-up. Congratulations, Bob, and thank you for sharing your story with such skill. We shouldn't ever forget how this community is much more about people than airplanes.

Tony, you're a gentleman and a worthy example to us all.

I was already having a pretty great Friday. You've both made it better.

--
Stephen

Congratulations!

Congratulations, Bob. Your heartwarming story captures what this RV building is all about. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Tony T

Bob,
Yes, I have to agree with you whole heartedly, Tony is a great guy and mentor.
My hanger is between the two of you and I did get alot of tips and looksees from Tony as he was about 3 or 4 months ahead of me in construction of the RV-12.
Jerry Engel

RV-6
RV-6A
RV-9A
RV-12
Working on the RV-14

TONY! An inspiration! I was well into my kit when I had a business trp to the NW. Tony was kind enough to provide a wonderful day. Ferry ride, gave my wife her first ride in a -12, then my first ride. Had a great dinner at a local place he recommended. Lots of good advice since. I often referred to his photos during my build. Hope I can somehow pay that forward in the coming years! What a gentleman.
Bill H. N412BR "Sweetie"

Congratulations Bob! A real pretty airplane.

The story you told us, with some great photos, is the best story I have read on this forum.

It inspires us all and describes, perfectly, what true friendship is. Thanks Tony!

Have fun flying that machine and treat your buddy to another bowl of chowder. Only this time . . . you get to provide the transportation!

Bill Ince

Nothing to add from the far side of the planet. You other guys said it all. Great photos BTW.

What a way to start my day, with such a heart-warming story! Thanks, and Tony, thank you for all your kindheartedness!

Best,

Copied without shame directly off yours, Steve! But, since yours is now in China, mine will have to be the Red and White RV-12 in the NW skies. Made a few tweaks, including my wheel pants - that mirror the airplane scheme.

Give 'ya a ride one of these days???

Bob

Bob - Are you the same Bob Bogash listed in this month's "Air and Space" as the project manager for the Museum of Flight's effort to get the very first Boeing 727 airborne again - Scheduled for a flight to Boeing field on Feb 9th, the 50th aniversary of it's first flight? If so, I offer you dual congratulations!

Last edited:
I'd love to see it with the wheel pants on. After all the work to fit the pants and then having them just white I realized that it didn't look near as good with just the all white. I'm sure yours will look better.

Sure, I'd love a ride sometime. I've never seen the view from the right seat.

Yup, same guy - guilty as charged! One of five big airplane projects all currently on my front burner (Lockheed Model 10E Electra, B-52G, 727, Super Connie, and, er - yes the RV-12.) Unlikely to make Feb 9, but still hoping for 2013 - the 50th Anniversary Year.

More on my website here:

http://www.rbogash.com/

So many airplanes, so little time.....

Bob Bogash
N737G

Me, too-- Thanks Tony

and Bob for a excellent tribute. Like most of us, I got lots of encouragement, advice, and some much-needed photos from Tony!

Wayne 120241/143WM 157 hours and counting

Please post link to Tony T's photo's

NASA515 said in his post that Tony T's photo are the "Go To" site for anyone building an RV-12.

I'm considering building one and doing my research now.

Can someone please post a link to Tony T's site.

Thanks.

When I was making my decision I stumbled across Marty's blog and one other. Did not see Tony's pics until later. But (sorry Marty) the best, most entertaining blog is this one. Very complete. You can even download a PDF of the entire first half of the build and not have to be online to read it. Www.schmetterlingaviation.com

When I wrote the reply, there was another, but, due to memory, I could not remember. You found it!! I VERY much agree!!

Back