What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't Have 100 Roubles Have 100 Friends

Vlad

Well Known Member
"Don't have one hundred roubles better have one hundred friends" says old Russian proverb. It's surprisingly true on this side of the world. I doubt I could make this trip to South West without great camaraderie of RV folks.

Fair amount of thought and planning went into it. I had no doubt about the Diligence my RV is simple, still young and well trained. The driver with one-year old private pilot certificate has accumulated several hundred hours of flight time and was ready for next adventure. Weather looked legal for upcoming week.

160 ponies harnessed and up we go. Out of rain to brighter future. Plan was to get to Nebraska from New Jersey by twilights. Big Brother was watching.

1.jpg

Pennsylvania the beautiful.

3.jpg

2.jpg

Couple hours more

4.jpg

Another couple hours another airport. Top off.

5.jpg

Couple three hours more. Fill up.

7.jpg

Some funny boys on the way. Biiiig jets not sure they flew according to FARs and AIM. Approach called them Cobras and Snoopies.

8.jpg

Time to get onboard ration. I wish there was a stewardess. Obligatory food picture.

6.jpg

Last fuel stop for the day. York not far from KGRI Grand Island, NE.

9.jpg

At Grand Island airport Dean Sombke was waiting for me. Dean is a busy executive and I was very lucky to fit into his schedule. He is strategically located in the middle of the country and maintains RV Hotel active.

KGRI.jpg

Dean and his partner Bruce built and own beautiful RV-10. So we jumped in my 9 and Dean flew it to Aurora where he has large hangar. Dean flies fast and my thoughts were we definitely would go around. Not a case this time Dean was able to bring fixed pitch to approach speed easy :)

dean.jpg

dean10.jpg

The evening was completed here. We sampled some wine and I ended with more.

dean3.jpg

11.jpg

Dean thank you very much for everything! Your RV Hotel reminds me of Turbo's place in Stuart, FL.

Next morning direct Rocky Land. OAT was 32F and my RV woke up on second try without primer and preheater.

Still Nebraska. Terrain started to raise.

1-1.jpg

Looks like Picasso Black Square.

3-1.jpg

Now I know where this biscuit came from. Looks the same isn't it?

2-1.jpg

There were other blinzes shaped fields but with very strange paw marks around them. Man they got Big Bears there in Nebraska.

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

I hope those giant bears couldn't find this beef. You can smell it from 50 miles out though... :D

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

Last edited:
Denver time! Airbuses whooshed under me in dozens.

1-2.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-2.jpg

I was droning peacefully for several hours then a satellite called with request. Make some pictures of Red Rock Park! And even pointed out exactly where the Park is. I have to wake up, go down and snap pictures of those rocks. What could I do? To refuse a relative? Here is your Rock Park buddy still intact. Did you visit it during high school or honeymoon?

4-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

6-2.jpg

Climb up to 17.5K was a bit bumpy.

7-2.jpg

Somewhere around here I reached maximum allowed VFR altitude.

8-1.jpg

I didn't like those still high clouds. Minutes later I was soaring in Class Alfa without even adding power. Had to climb down the ladder couple thousand feet back to legal altitude.

Are we there yet? Helllloooo Leadville!

1-3.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, this is good. I've been looking forward to this write-up. Vlad, you're the antidote to whatever disease keeps me out of the shop!

--
Stephen

Hurry up and get to Rockwoods mansion! I wanna see it. Also am dying to hear about Vegas!!

We call those clouds a Chinook arch in Calgary. Wave clouds. I don't venture into the mountains on those days. You are a brave man. Wind must have been cranking out of the west. I bet your a bit bumpy was putting it lightly.:eek:

Keep it coming......

My feelings exactly

Oh, this is good. I've been looking forward to this write-up. Vlad, you're the antidote to whatever disease keeps me out of the shop!

--
Stephen

I haven't been building for 8 years but Vlad's 1000 word pictures with a few other words are always uplifting. This promises to be an exceptional experience.

Bob Axsom

Leadville!!!

leadville.jpg

What an experience! Those who visited know and those who don't know have to visit.

l1.jpg

There are some mountains like this in -stans but Colorado stands out.

l2.jpg

The noon approach is so tricky sometimes I needed to add full power to counteract that Nature throw. Keep your ponies in great shape and have them plenty if you venture to LXV.

l4.jpg

On the grounds new terminal, good fuel $$ and hospitable airport manager. There is always an RV to park by.

l5.jpg

Got Certificate of Navigation, aeronautical chart and CO catalog and moved on.

l6.jpg

By Aspen the luxurious

l8.jpg

to Colorado Springs.

l9.jpg

And that's how I met Rocky.

l10.jpg

Rocky is amazing fellow. He has that tsarist Russian grandeur in his lifestyle combined with a wit of Native American. Too bad he doesn't speak neither Russian nor Apachi.

Rocky drove me through picturesque town to his favorite restaurant and fed me so good I could barely breath.

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

What happened next? You probably already know. FLYING!!!

He took over from right seat and showed me places.

c5.jpg

c7.jpg

c8.jpg

The man lives in paradise. Do you see how happy he looks?

c6.jpg

We browsed the vicinity for about an hour then landed tied the bird down for night

c9.jpg

and switched to this.

c10.jpg

Last edited:
Rocky no poor fella. Rocky owns some land. Hundreds and hundreds of acres. I am not sure how he got it maybe through his native American connections. Roubles definitely are not enough for this type of property.

It took us close to an hour to inspect the territory.

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

Within the territory there is a water fall, a bridge and a brook full of trout.

r3.jpg

r9.jpg

There are some steep hills and colorful boulder valleys.

r8.jpg

r4.jpg

He singled a piece of land for conservancy. It's just by the river.

DSC_0286.jpg

Often he carries his arquebus to shoot a bear or scare campers who somehow manage to get over high fence.

r5.jpg

r7.jpg

Believe me I know. I've been there. Soon there will be Garden of Eden on this land but he has to complete his RV-9A before he fully develops these hundreds acres. Right Rocky?

r6.jpg

Rocky rocks!!!

Last edited:
Castle where Rocky lives is located so high in the mountains I brought my oxygen bottle to sleep with. There is very nice addition where he keeps his newly purchased RV9 project. Exceptional craftsmanship by the way. He promised me a ride in 2014 in it. I am deadly serious Rocky I am coming.

1-4.jpg

There were no pictures allowed inside Rocky Castle because of security reasons. The chief security officer was grumpy and followed me everywhere. Eventually beer did the job

4-3.jpg

5-3.jpg

and I secretly took this picture.

3-3.jpg

We finished the day in hot springs athletic club and topped the evening with nice dinner in great Chinese restaurant.

6-3.jpg

Day was great! Top hotel chain can not beat the room I stayed in. Those who are still building stop reading now and go to the shop do some work on your RV! Come here tomorrow for more... :D

Last edited:
i think vman will retire and give rv tours to the 20,000 rvs that will be around by then.

heard thru the grape vine.......

Hey Turbo how you doin'. I still have couple ben$ to burn and three days left from vacation. Have crazy idea to zoom to Key West and back. Are you around? Can I book the Hotel? How 'bout car gas I promise not to spill anymore. Dinner by the yacht club on me.
Russki

looks like lunch at another island. :):)

57618435926319081128511.jpg

Include me if he shows up in Florida

At least get him to stop in at KZPH on the way back for cheap fuel. Lots of folks here have never met a Russian RV driver.....

We can add Cedar Key to his island list if your cousin can make it over to this side of the state.

cedarkey_runwayshortfinal1resize.jpg

Last edited:
Great use of a new RV, Vlad. Keep the photos coming.

However, you might want to change this statement....

to Colorado Springs.

l9.jpg

And that's how I met Rocky.

I was really confused for a minute or two until I realized that you meant to say "to Glenwood Springs", on the other side of the continental divide.

Fly safe!

Good catch Louise! Glad there is a geography expert here.

... The morning after next Rocky packed me with calories, briefed on the state of local ravines and sent my way.

1-5.jpg

Parachute.

2-4.jpg

Other prominent tectonite.

3-4.jpg

Disturbed sleepy tower. Request granted back to sleep.

4-4.jpg

Some really cool places by Colorado National Monument. I didn't go there it's dotted on sectional.

5-4.jpg

Instead I ventured farther where Colorado River cuts deeper into red rocks.

6-4.jpg

It was still early morning the air smooth and undisturbed. Somewhere here I entered my first iron corridor.

7-3.jpg

8-2.jpg

Believe me there is no time to sleep here. What if other Slavic nut appears out of there at the same altitude? Canyon is too narrow for two. Man I was glad I did some training learning those commercial wingovers.

9-1.jpg

After couple 180s in the canyon it gets better.

DSC_0424.jpg

Two turns ahead a stone mushroom garden.

1-6.jpg

2-5.jpg

Another turn and I can see the Magnificent Trail famous RV pathfinder trod.

4-5.jpg

Somewhere here he fell off his bike...

5-5.jpg

Wait a second! Can I fit there? No, I can't the other rock is on the way. Need Piper Cub to go under.

6-5.jpg

A mine where they dig some plutonium. My Bear Clock started glowing that's how I figured out the radio activity. Run Forrest run!

7-4.jpg

I have no idea why they obliterated perfectly shaped stones.

8-3.jpg

9-2.jpg

Let me get outta here before I go crazy.

11-1.jpg

Last edited:
Out of there.

10.jpg

Past buried dinosaurs.

1-7.jpg

What state am I in? Time to land and figure out.

2-6.jpg

Utah! Wow never been here.

3-6.jpg

Back from dreams to reality pilot. Take the crew car and go find something to eat.

4-6.jpg

Crew car was half dead check engine light was on last two years.

5-6.jpg

At a gas station several miles away there was not a big choice. The kid at the counter had last egg sandwich for sale and something non digestible else. Even with local newspaper I couldn't finish half a sandwich. I wish I ate everything Rocky had on table :)

6-6.jpg

A Dinosaur Museum on the way out. I skipped it.

7-5.jpg

Fired up and run south.

Great photos!! this is what I picture when I think of flying as a newbie pilot wanna be.

Dang I gotta go learn how to fly for real now lol!

Btw did I read correctly that you are in NJ? If so that is a whole lotta flying in the good ship Vlad

From a fellow NJ resident.

Keep flying for us dreamers!!

Juan

100 saga continues

... trip south planned to be terminated at Spaceport America or in close proximity. But first let's get there.

Weather shiny terrain spectacular life joyous.

2-7.jpg

1-8.jpg

On my way to Spaceport I had to visit Red Square.

3-7.jpg

It's very unique place. In 2 minutes according to turn and bank indicator you visit FOUR states. Still not believing? Go and check don't forget your chronometer.

4-7.jpg

From Red Square you can see The Rock "THE" being the key word.

5-7.jpg

It's so captivating I don't remember how many circles I did around it.

6-7.jpg

7-6.jpg

One can get closer unlike Devil's Tower there are no Indian army with spears.

8-4.jpg

An hour or so later, passed those stone poles I landed somewhere. To say the airport was so so means to say nothing. It was fenced and secured but hostile. Dogs were running around like crazy. I had to deplane far away, walk to the terminal, (paragraph empty insert your quotes) then depart within minutes.

9-3.jpg

10-1.jpg

From unfriendly airport I picked up a road

1-9.jpg

and it brought me very close to Spaceport.

2-8.jpg

Restricted were still hot and I waited a bit. By the time they cooled the weather moved in. Don Jones, a CFI and fellow RV-9A builder told me about it couple hours ago. No joy this time. Heading north. Will be back in couple days.

3-8.jpg

Last edited:
From Truth or Consequences up to Albuquerque the home of Balloon Fiesta. I had solid connection there made via the very VAF forum.

5-8.jpg

Some say there is nothing to see on the grounds in New Mexico. They are wrong.

4-8.jpg

6-8.jpg

Landed at Double Eagle Airport and was met by Carl Martin, a NASA engineer, a Balloon Fiesta Command Center volunteer and overall nice guy. Do you see brand named jacket? Tomorrow it will be mine :D

7-7.jpg

Carl set everything for me so perfect I couldn't even do it myself. Part of his success was knowing a guy. No, not this one

9-4.jpg

the other guy. Guy Feltman, an Enterprising Guy.

10-2.jpg

This day ended at VIP banquet the above gents had access to. I didn't bring my camera this time. There was good company, fireworks, plenty of drinks and tons of quality foods. I was shocked when I saw the value of that free for me pass. Thank you Carl and Guy. Now I know why French ladies are always around you :D

8-5.jpg

Last edited:
This was my limo for two days.

1-10.jpg

We were invited to a house warming the night before. So we jumped into Guy's pickup, bought huge stack of peppers (forgot the name for it) and headed to an address well off Albuquerque.

5-9.jpg

We religiously followed a track by an Apple product and ended up in the boonies of NM far from civilization. A NASA engineer, a retired ATC guru and a Russian who practiced navigation for more then a decade.

3-9.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

After NASA rep figured out the glitch in iMaps we turned around and headed back. The house being warmed was not far from here.

2-9.jpg

The hostess was cool and chilly hot. Or vice versa :D

Last edited:
Great Photo Journal!

Guess I am off to the airport... I have work to do... can't wait to go on my own adventures.

Thanks Vlad!

Looks like a great trip, I hope to do a similar one next year. Need to make more VAF friends to mooch spare bedrooms off of first... :)

Guess I am off to the airport... I have work to do... can't wait to go on my own adventures.

Thanks Vlad!

Peter when I was building my wings I kept your website bookmarked. Then you slowed down a bit...

Anyway it's Fiesta Time! What an incredible event! Morning glow.

6-9.jpg

7-8.jpg

Dawn patrol.

8-6.jpg

Guy and Carl got me in sequence for a ride. I was lucky a gent from Friendly Administration missed his slot I filled right in. The pilot was Ralph Kayser the Chief of all balloonist things at the Fiesta. They have a position for that I forgot which one.

It's a lot of work to assemble, stretch and inflate the craft. But it was rewarding experience.

9-5.jpg

10-3.jpg

Three of us pilot Ralph, Carl and I got inside the basket and prepared to ascend. Zebra, an event official, did his theater.

11-2.jpg

12.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Up and up we go. Complete silence only dragon breath of burners once in a while.

28.jpg

Ralph Kayser the long time balloon pilot was also a CFI. I got 15 minutes of dual in hot air balloon. I have to send my logbook to Ralph to fill for those minutes. It's very very unusual operation who has flown hot air balloon knows.

13.jpg

16.jpg

Thanks Carl for pictures.

14.jpg

We spent more then one hour in the air thoroughly enjoying it.

27.jpg

Time to land. Good morning people!

17.jpg

Boy it's a lot work deflating and packing that big balloon. No wonder the chase crew consists two dozen people.

18.jpg

Some younger balloonists were not so lucky. Chase crew walked them out of a ditch.

20.jpg

19.jpg

After the ride there was a ceremony.

23.jpg

Great custom! Sworn to Balloonism! New Mongolfier Brother!!!

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Thank you ATC and NASA!

22.jpg

Balloon Fiesta continued for three more days but my time was up. It looks like Guy fits well in my RV. He looks like Ted Turner doesn't he? There is no time for ride today they have a Command Center to run.

4-9.jpg

Happy and still under impression I set course to the northwest.

5-10.jpg

Peace around no humans no animals total bliss.

7-9.jpg

Occasional coal mine. There is an ATT bar or two. Enough to check on VAF no need for weather it's always sunny in NM.

6-10.jpg

Entering Country of Red Rocks. Monument Valley is an hour away.

8-7.jpg

9-6.jpg

10-4.jpg

Last edited:
All my life I was fascinated with Monumental Rocks. Always dreamed to visit. And day has come.

1-12.jpg

2-11.jpg

3-11.jpg

4-10.jpg

5-11.jpg

6-11.jpg

7-10.jpg

8-8.jpg

9-7.jpg

Last edited:
No words needed I guess.

10-5.jpg

11-3.jpg

12-1.jpg

13-1.jpg

14-1.jpg

Looks very tempting.

15-1.jpg

Couple circles looking for watchmen with bows and arrows. Will I fit?

16-1.jpg

Plenty of room on both sides.

17-1.jpg

Famous private airport. I didn't landed on it. Instead I did low pass and you can guess the rest. There is a picturesque valley right around the corner.

18-1.jpg

Last edited:
After Monument Valley I headed to Page, AZ.

1-13.jpg

2-12.jpg

Went high this time and picked up a lot of chat on Page frequency.

3-12.jpg

4-11.jpg

They indeed flew a lot that day. An air/car/food show was just wrapping up.

5-12.jpg

6-12.jpg

I fueled at promotional rate, grabbed a cup of cold coffee and flew out of that heaven.

7-11.jpg

Last edited:
Next stop was Boulder City, NV. Passed Grand Canyon. Didn't do any scenic routes on this leg.

8-9.jpg

9-8.jpg

10-6.jpg

11-4.jpg

Hoover Dam and newly constructed engineering marvel by it. Nothing was here in 2004.

12-2.jpg

KBVU approach.

13-2.jpg

Lots of colorful helicopters there. All professional, courteous on frequency and respectful. Different from Hudson River gang.

14-2.jpg

Road to Vegas starts from here. I will tell you little secret how to get VFR to Big Vegas. First you land at Boulder City, find a yellow RV owner and do exactly what he tells you. He tells you what point to appear over what freq to dial what to say and possible route you will be vectored. Easy as one-too-tree right Seb? :D

15-2.jpg

Last edited:
Vlad in Albuquerque

Vlad's visit made this year's Fiesta extra special. When he is present the Fun Meter gets pegged!

Can you imagine picking a random table to sit and enjoy a coffee and doughnut, and the balloonist to your left is a nuclear physicist who speaks Russian to Vlad and they discuss a "secret city"? :eek:

Vlad isn't difficult to feed when there is a good buffet! And his pictures and captions inspire us all to fly cross-country and enjoy the VAF friendships! Personally I want to get out and fly by the Arches, Monuments, and Canyons!

Carl

Can you imagine picking a random table to sit and enjoy a coffee and doughnut, and the balloonist to your left is a nuclear physicist who speaks Russian to Vlad and they discuss a "secret city"?

Carl

Carl I am convinced you preset the situation.

... I surfaced at right waypoint, dialed right frequency and told them what Sebastian taught me. Sin City Bravo clearance followed a second later.

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

v4.jpg

Wohoo big tarmac bigger then Plattsburgh. Where are those road signs?

v6.jpg

All markings at KLAS are for big guys. I hesitated a bit then turned in right direction. "Here we go" chuckled ground control. Then I saw a yellow car. I might get me one of them fancy airport driving gpses after I retire.

v5.jpg

Parking at McCarran couldn't be better. Fits $40 facility fee and $60 overnight parking.

10-7.jpg

I booked a room at Motel 6 just across the road. This was the view from my window. Do you see that unpainted RV in the corner?

v7.jpg

There was a networking event at Cosmopolitan I attended that night. After only two drinks I was on verge of collapse and asked "staff" to escort me out of premises. What kind of Russian are you? - everybody joked: - you can not survive couple drinks and good company? Little they knew I flew balloon in the morning dodged hundred stones afternoon and still arrived in style in my own plane.

Somehow I got inside my room looked out of the window and dropped dead for 10 hours.

v8.jpg

Next day my RV was waiting to share next part of the adventure. She liked Vegas very much and wanted to come back.

v9.jpg

Last edited:
Peter when I was building my wings I kept your website bookmarked. Then you slowed down a bit...

Now I really feel slow. You were watching my website, and now you have 600 hours of flying. Yep, I did slow down.

Moving from the garage to an airport an hour away was a mixed blessing. Lots of new friends. Ability to acquire a great hangar. Started flying rental aircraft again, after 20+ year break... however, all at the cost of one or two days a week of building and the years slipping by on the building hobbs meter.

Thanks

..for sharing that experience, grat photos that gives me a new dream, another bucket list item.

'Flying in Usa with my 8'

Lucca, I have the same dream, flying in the US in my own RV. I'm in South America, no ocean to cross, so in this regard, I'm better off than you. But I still don't have an RV, so... you're definitely ahead there...:eek:

..for sharing that experience, grat photos that gives me a new dream, another bucket list item.

'Flying in Usa with my 8'

Lucca, I have the same dream, flying in the US in my own RV. I'm in South America, no ocean to cross, so in this regard, I'm better off than you. But I still don't have an RV, so... you're definitely ahead there...:eek:

Gentlemen I share similar passion. Flying my RV over your countries. Can we barter? :D

From Sin City to Underworld

Road to Death Valley was smooth. Weather zillion byzillion.

v9.jpg

KLAS traffic was just picking up.

1-14.jpg

2-13.jpg

Soon enough they got rid of me. "Triple Six where you going?. L06??? OK."

3-13.jpg

Sin Sity approach thanked for a quick turn and let me loose :D

4-12.jpg

5-13.jpg

I wondered around Cortez then jumped over big ridge.

6-13.jpg

Behind big ridge was Pahrum, NV. I didn't land. Some people know what's in there. Right there by intersection :D

7-12.jpg

Road to Underworld is beautiful. Those rock formations as nowhere else.

8-10.jpg

9-9.jpg

Not a single radio wave in ether. They call the place Death Valley for a reason.

10-8.jpg

11-5.jpg

THAT'S A YES!!!!

Well Mr Vlad, if... I mean WHEN you come down to Brazil in your most famous N666BK you will be very welcome. There's a lot to see here, the weather is generally good, there are interesting places to visit and very good food. I don't think you'll dislike our caipirinhas (typical Brazilian drink) either.:)
Oh, and also the ladies are not very bad, in my opinion...:D

Last edited:
12-3.jpg

16-2.jpg

Bakery!!! (ed. if I say precise word the software will put astericks instead:D)

14-3.jpg

13-3.jpg

One can not wonder far from his plane. No, I am not going even close to Area51 :D

15-3.jpg

I spent around 30 minutes on the grounds and lost probably gallon of sweat. OUTTTTT!

17-2.jpg

l06.png

Exiting Death Valley was thrilling.

18-2.jpg

19-1.jpg

Somebody was following me stealthily I never saw the guy. Spooky.

22-1.jpg

Just beautiful and very very hot I stayed lower on purpose to enjoy the cracked water bed. Plenty of landing spots but other then that not a soul not a bird around.

21-1.jpg

20-1.jpg

You can not stay low for long in Death Valley.

23-1.jpg

You need to go high at some point.

28-1.jpg

And you better watch your course or outsouce it to your skyview. There are so many restricted areas and all of them are glowing.

24-1.jpg

27-1.jpg

26-1.jpg

Have you ever seen green rocks? I have.

29-1.jpg

I am out of the Valley and snaking my way to L77. It's Chiriaco Summit place in California. Come tomorrow to check Russian RV vs General Patton tanks battle :D

30-1.jpg

You sitting "side saddle" in that picture?
Death Valley is an interesting place. I got there one evening at about 2:00am. It was 104 and no hotel rooms. I had to camp in the parking lot. That was one HOT night.

Back