What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The RV-10 is huge!

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I don't normally post on the 10 board, but yesterday Jim Berry was nice enough to show me his RV-10. Holy cow is it big! The only other 10 I have seen was at Vans. Jim's plane is beautiful and looks to be about the "perfect" airplane. I have been working on the finished airframe of my 9 and I was surprised at how much taller and larger the 10 is.

Looking at the work that went into the doors and turtle deck made the canopy for the rest of the RV's look not so bad. Jim has great paint and very nice interior. Maybe it is because my 9 is sitting on a 4" high rolling dolly, but I still can't get over how much larger the 10 looks. I think I see a 10 in the future for me, but I better get the 9 done first!

Wait until you fly a -10! They fly just like the -9, only a little heavier. You can tell they are an RV, no question about that. Not as light as a -4 but not a slug like a Bonanza either.

I have to tell you, I was really impressed with the 10. It just looks proud sitting there. It doesn't really look anything like it, but it still reminds me of the Commander 114. I can see why everyone loves their 10. I don't really need 4 seats now, but I can see a 10 in my future.

Mine just wants room to spread out and do her knitting. I can already guess that the back seat will be her domain...

Mine just wants room to spread out and do her knitting. I can already guess that the back seat will be her domain...

That's exactly where mine sat, to and from Oshkosh. I told her that her company up front would be appreciated, she said that we can still talk. yeah, right. Said that there is sooo much more room back there. Helped the CG tho':)

Best,

Jim

Rock,

I agree that Jim's 10 looks great. Also, Jim happens to be a really nice guy too. He gave Alex Cuellar, his mom and my wife a ride in his 10 a while back. I was there to document with pics. It's a great-looking plane and makes me want to hurry up and finish mine.

Last edited:
That's exactly where mine sat, to and from Oshkosh. I told her that her company up front would be appreciated, she said that we can still talk. yeah, right. Said that there is sooo much more room back there. Helped the CG tho':)

Best,

Sounds like she is ready for an 8:D

Mine does her knitting during cruise

When she is not checking weather up ahead or taking pictures. She makes everything from wool or other natural fibers- think safety. We wear as much non-plastic clothing as possible. It all gets put away before descent. Plenty of room front or back for sure.

Rock,

I agree that Jim's 10 looks great. Also, Jim happens to be a really nice guy too. He gave Alex Cuellar, his mom and my wife a ride in his 10 a while back. I was there to document with pics. It's a great-looking plane and makes me want to hurry up and finish mine.

I talked with him about flying with Alex and his mother. Tell Alex hello when you see him. I hope he is still doing well.

Jim was going to give another young man a ride last weekend but the treatment he was undergoing made him too sick for the flight. Him is trying to re-schedule when the young man feels better.

Jim is an interesting guy. Both him and his wife are instrument rated and he built a "plans built" Pitts and flew it for years. He sure did a nice job on his 10.

A Gulfstream salesman would call it "ramp prescence" and charge an extra millyun bucks per vertical inch.

No knitting for my wife. She would much rather ride shotgun, where she can keep an eye on my flying. Actually she is very helpful, making sure we have the next frequency set up, correct approach plate, etc. Really helps when things get busy.

I had wanted to show Rocky how big the -10 is in the sky, but I had finally gotten around to replacing my wheelpant brackets and didn't have every thing back together. Next time. Thanks for the comments on the plane. All the credit goes to Grady for the slick paint job. That GLO paint dazzles the eye, so that people don't notice my mistakes.

Jim Berry
RV-10

My wife loves to fly in the -6, but while we were waiting to get our house in the airpark finished so I could start the -10, a neighbor took my wife and I out to lunch in their -10.

When we got back, my wife's only comment was "When are you going to finish the RV-10?"

Stop by!

Hey Rockwood, you should have let me know you were in the neighborhood, I could have showed you what a below-average 10 looks like :rolleyes:, and met in person.

Dwight

HAHA!! Thats a good one. Actually, Jim told me where your hanger was and I drove by, but nobody was home. Next time I am in town I would love to see your plane. Come on up to GWS and lunch on me!

Hey Rockwood, you should have let me know you were in the neighborhood, I could have showed you what a below-average 10 looks like :rolleyes:, and met in person.

Dwight

We, my wife and I, got to fly in one for the first time a few weeks ago...thanks to Brian and Brandi for that....and yep there is a lot of room in that plane! We loved it.

Welcome to VAF!!

Justin,
welcome.gif
to the good ship VAF.

Back