What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR charts current

dbaflyer

Well Known Member
Started IFR training and CFII and I are trying to figure out if the approach plate we are seeing on the G3X touch is current. Seems like it should be simple like ForeFlight showing the dates on the side

There should be a date in the bottom left corner. That’s the last revision date. Compare to the date on the plate found thru faa.gov (or Foreflight or WingX, if their database is current).

Last edited:
Also shows database revisions on startup. On the fly.garmin.com website you can see what database versions are the most current.

That said, databases are updated every 28 days, so if you don’t know if they’re current, they probably arent.

More importantly, your NAVIGATOR (GTN650, etc) needs to be current. Forget the charts, you need an up-to-date IFR navigator to be able to make sure it has the right approaches in there to fly them.

I guess I’m trying to understand why you are wanting to verify the plate is current. All of the database dates are shown on startup and the boxes tell you if they are current or expired even if you don’t happen to know the expiration date. There’s no requirement to independently verify the date of every chart you pull up assuming you verified the database dates on startup.

Last edited:
Back