What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N284RM accident

Woof. After the latest loss of the RV-6 near Doylestown (next town over from my youthful stomping ground) to a likely in flight fire, I finally bought a handheld halotron extinguisher foy flying in my cherokee. Not sure how effective it is against an engine fire as much as a cockpit electrical fire but it might help stall the flames for brief while to get on the ground and survive.

Next to an engine failure at night, in flight fire scares the **** out of me.

In accident investigation classes, it is taught that witnesses commonly observe the plane to be on fire before ground impact, even when there was no fire.

This is not to say that there was no inflight fire but to look for confirmation and not to take witness' statements at face value.

RV8

Prelim states that pilot told ATC loss of oil pressure and then engine failure. ATC called an airport three miles away, pilot chose to attempt off airport landing.

I’ve had 2 cases of the induction system getting a piece of trash under the needle and seat and continue to flow full fuel even when the butterfly is closed. Was told both times “it looked like you were on fire!” Overly rich will make a lot of smoke before it fouls out the plugs.

Hey guys - Sam posted the link to the preliminary information - there has been no determination of probably cause, and as Ed mentioned, witness reports are often very unreliable…..so let’s refrain from speculation, per Doug’s rules:

2. Threads SPECULATING about the causes of a crash/incident before the Probable Cause document is issued are not allowed here. Offer condolences to the family and friends, of course! Once the governing agency's PROBABLE CAUSE or FINAL REPORT has been listed online, then by all means we can discuss the mechanics and minutia of the accident until we are blue in the fingers, hopefully learning something that will make flying safer for us.

Agree about speculation. Let's keep an eye out for the final reports on this one, N284RM, and the RV-6 in Pennsylvania, N74MS.

Back