What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A time near Savannah?

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Playing the insurance follies. I've got 400+ RV hours and ATP/CFII but the insurance guys still want either five hours of time in a rip-roaring, fire breathing RV-9A or an extra $400 premium. I don't need a checkout, just five hours.

Anybody with a -9A want to go flying around Savannah for five hours? I can toss in a free BFR, ICC, all that good stuff. Needs to happen this month.

Ed Wischmeyer

When questioned about it, my insurance carrier at that time allowed the transition training in an RV-7A.

my insurance agent also allowed my transition training in a -7A for my -9A coverage.... and the transition training was not with a CFI but the assisting pilot (Bill Duffy - one of the best guys you will find) signed my logbook for the time required.

Last edited:
There is a -9 at Ridgeland (3J1) you might be able to tap and a couple CFIs there as well. Not sure how much time either has in the -9, if any. I know one has recently flown a -6.

PM me if you want more details.

CFI?

An additional consideration...

When I was new to the 9a, after specifically asking, my insurance allowed the required transition training to be with someone who was *not* formally a CFI but had adequate experience in that airframe.

Made it way easier to arrange and satisfy. (Added the trainer to our policy and got to train in our newly purchased 9a, which has other benefits as well.) Never know... asking might increase your options as well.

Either way, enjoy the 9a!:D

I think it is the "A" thing. The tail time does not count. Insurance generally accept time in any A model (correction: side by side and tandem may not be interchangeable). CFI or not does not make any difference.

Last edited:
Me too...

Just tested the waters on the insurance quoting game for my -9 also.

For me, 200+ hr in RV-3 and the insurance quote came back and said I needed 5hr duel and that the -3 time would not qualify as -9 time. I also have 200+hr in RV-6a and they said the -6a was not compatible for -9 time.

Good luck Ed.
cj

Last edited:
If the insurance company will accept -7A time without an instructor teaching the instructor, then Jon maybe able to help. Can't think of any other A models around except for an -8A.

The unfortunate truth is that low time in type is one of the best statistical indicators of a higher likelihood of an accident. And this is true regardless of total time. Pilots 'downsizing' to LSAs are not compiling a good record, for example. Now personally I believe this is due to attitude, not stick and rudder skills. But the insurance companies have no way to assess attitude, so they make everyone get time in type.
I'm surprised no one with a 9 wouldn't like 5 hours of 'surprisingly low cost' dual instruction. (I wouldn't say 'free' just to avoid any 'compensation or hire' issues). The owner can do all the flying, Ed can log PIC time as long as he's acting as a cfi.

My agent, Bob Mackey at EAA/Falco, was able to get the five hours satisfied. Part of that might have been the two pilot reports I wrote on the factory RV-9As...

But it's still the case that, no matter how good you are, you really need to see every maneuver once. You can either learn those yourself, or with somebody knowledgeable, or with a CFI. I was surprised, reading MY pilot reports, how arrogant I have become towards learning the RV-9A, expecting speed control on final to be the only real issue.

After I get really good at the -9A, maybe I'll go for a waiver and instruct in mine for hire.

BTW, I've flown and published pilot reports on all RVs from the -4 on.

Thanks to all,

Ed

After I get really good at the -9A, maybe I'll go for a waiver and instruct in mine for hire.

Ed

By now this should be pretty routine, but I'd be happy to email you the paperwork package I used for my LODA (waiver), if you're interested. But, be prepared for a steep increase in insurance cost if you want coverage while instructing. Since instructional flying is very safe, statistically, this baffles me, but that's my experience.

Last edited:
Back