What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Static Lines and Getting Initial PS and Altimeter Inspection

newamiga

Well Known Member
Folks,
I have a question for you all. I have had the PS and altimeter/encoder tested a couple times for my 24 month window in my S-LSA. The guy who does the inspections looked at the RV-12. His comment was that he really liked the look of the kit but that there was no way the punched out rivet static source with the plastic line was going to pass inspection. Now, obviously there are a few hundred that have, including the S-LSA's.
I am curious if anyone has had issues with the initial or recurring inspection of the static source? He recommended a proper static source installed instead. Of course you can't do this before certification on an E-LSA.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Carl

Sounds like you need to find a new transponder "guy".

The "punched out rivet" system has been working great on thousands of RVs since the 1970s.

I don't recall seeing anything is the regs that gives the repair station the authority to evaluate the aircraft design, it either passes the test or it doesn't, you can't fail the system because you don't like the "looks" of it.

Like Mel said, find another shop.

I don't recall seeing anything is the regs that gives the repair station the authority to evaluate the aircraft design, it either passes the test or it doesn't, you can't fail the system because you don't like the "looks" of it.

Like Mel said, find another shop.

I agree with Mel.

He is supposed to inspect the performance of the system, not the design of the installation.
I can only assume he has never inspected a Maul (type certificated).... the entire static system uses clear Tygon tubing and plastic hose barb fittings (at least they used too.... I haven't worked on one for quite a few years).

Aren't the altitude encoder, altimeter, and static tests only required for aircraft that desire to be operated IFR?

Last edited:
He will only do IFR checks even on VFR only aircraft. He says there is no such thing as a VFR check. His argument is that if the system is producing faulty altitude info and you are just checking that the info is going out, you aren't supporting the spirit and intent of the reg. Not saying I agree, just passing along his views.

Carl

Aren't the altitude encoder, altimeter, and static tests only required for aircraft that desire to be operated IFR?

Yes!

Carl, all that is required for your plane is an ATC transponder test per FAR 91.413. Walt just did mine. No testing of the pitot or static system is required unless you think something is broken. ;)

Find another tech cause he is probably charging you more for the IFR check than the VFR check!

After years of only flying VFR I decided to get the IFR capability back last year in my Cherokee. I had the RV VFR check done at the same time. The IFR check involved called for specific check points for altitude. The VFR check was basically checking for a transmission signal with no physical hookup to my static system. I would say your guy doesn't know his business. Time to find a tech who understands the regs. BTW, my tech took one look at my RV and said, "I have never flunked a Dynon unit.

Rich

He will only do IFR checks even on VFR only aircraft. He says there is no such thing as a VFR check. His argument is that if the system is producing faulty altitude info and you are just checking that the info is going out, you aren't supporting the spirit and intent of the reg. Not saying I agree, just passing along his views.

Carl

He is correct about "VFR" checks, there is nothing in the regs that ref's a 'VFR" check.
CFR 91.411 are the requirements for an an aircraft operated under IFR conditions.

CFR 91.413 are the requirements for anyone operating a transponder and is commonly referred to as a "VFR" check but there is no ref in the FAR to a "VFR" check.

91.413 also has a requirement for altitude reporting:
(b) Following any installation or maintenance on an ATC transponder where data correspondence error could be introduced, the integrated system has been tested, inspected, and found to comply with paragraph (c), appendix E, of part 43 of this chapter.

Heres is Part 43 E (c)
(c) Automatic Pressure Altitude Reporting Equipment and ATC Transponder System Integration Test. The test must be conducted by an appropriately rated person under the conditions specified in paragraph (a). Measure the automatic pressure altitude at the output of the installed ATC transponder when interrogated on Mode C at a sufficient number of test points to ensure that the altitude reporting equipment, altimeters, and ATC transponders perform their intended functions as installed in the aircraft. The difference between the automatic reporting output and the altitude displayed at the altimeter shall not exceed 125 feet.

So when does 43 E (c) need to be done:
1) new installs
2) encoder replaced
3) altimeter replaced
4) technically speaking this would include anytime you R&R a transponder or encoder with gray code data input (xpdrs that use serial data only need to be checked at a single altitude to verify data line integrity).

What's interesting about this is for "VFR" flying there is no altimeter check required, only that the altitude reporting matches the altimeter within 125 ft.

More info on my FAQ page:
http://www.expaircraft.com/faq.htm

Last edited:
Back