What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank drain always have a spare.

Vlad

Well Known Member
On my recent trip to Alaska a fueled from a contaminated nozzle at a SS pump. The nozzle literally laid down in the mud I cleaned it the best I could. Apparently not that good. After about 30 minutes after a break for food and phone calls I sampled the tanks. The drain on pilot side didn't return to spring position and fuel kept leaking. I tried to work it out spent couple minutes and somehow magically the leak almost stopped. It was pouring rain...

Long story short I didn't have neither spare drain/o-ring nor a 1/8 NPT plug.
Later when I disassembled the drain I found this type of debris. Looks like a shaving.

It's sitting stubbornly and impossible to dislodge.

Doesn't matter how much you cycle the drain it still there.

Always carry a spare on a long trip. Even red plastic caps coming with Matco master brake cylinder will do a good job.

Interesting to hear if anybody encountered a problem like this and how did you solve it?

I always carry one, and had to use it on my trip out west last month. The blue O-ring on the valve stem broke. I changed the valve and when I got home replaced the O-ring and the repaired one is back in the parts bag that I carry. I also carry a spare tube...

Same thing happened to me after a long weekend in HXD.

Drip....Drip....Drip! No spare, tried my best to dislodge with no luck!

As soon as I git back to homebase I ordered up spare o-rings and a spare valve.

I know right where it is in my hangar :eek:

Tomorrow - due to this thread I will remember to place it in my flyaway kit I keep in the airplane! :D

Thanks Vladster....

Yep.
Spare fuel drain or plug
Spare fuel cap
Spare nosewheel tube
Assorted screws (spinner, fairings , etc.)

Back