What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I should put this in the tool section, but I know that I will get an answer here more quickly.

What tools are you guys using for crimping terminals on wires? I have looked up pricing on BCT-1 and TH-450 and they are a bit pricey. Are these tools I should invest in, which will be used throughout the build? Is there a universal tool for crimping any terminals?

Thanks
ken

Crimp Tools

Get the correct crimp tool for the job.

SteinAir has a selection as does B&C Speciality. Stein built and fly RVs and supports this site and RV events.

If at all possible, stay away from the TH-450 unless you cannot find a better tool. (Follow the link to a better tool that does not cost an arm or leg.) I own TH-450 but try not to use it unless there is no other way.

The BTC-1 works great for Amp (Molex) contacts.

All the links should take you to the tools. I recommend getting extra contacts and contact removal tools for every connector that you use on your aircraft.

The TH-450 crimper has no place in aircraft work except in an emergency that will be fixed properly at end of next flight. It is a crimper for bad automotive aftermarket work. The number any type of tools needed depend on which wiring jobs you intend on doing. Most tools are reasonable for price, one is not. To the untrained eye, the right tools can look similar to the wrong tools. You need guidance and the subject is way too intricate for a forum post.

Does EAA 1093 have a wiring guru or somebody that has done aircraft wiring? (teacher)

Do you own a copy of the AeroElectric book? (instructions)
Do you own a copy of AC 43-13B? (instructions)

Have you looked at the Steinair website? (tools, materials)

These are the tools that were listed for crimping in the plans for the -14. I don't know if there is a wiring guru at my EAA chapter, but I will definitely ask at the next meeting. I think that it is this week. thanks

I second all of Gary's comments........

If you take your time, you can get quality tools off of Ebay.

For example for terminals, get the AMP 59250 Red/Blue Crimper:

$_1.JPG

For DB connecters, Daniels AFM8 crimper:

mudvWjuZ5aKKw6suchZXB5Q.jpg

You can buy new from Stein, but you can save a lot by buying used. You just need a little patience and don't over bid.

From my perspective, you don't want to deal with intermittent wiring issues in flight. Using good tools will help you to prevent future issues.

These are the tools that were listed for crimping in the plans for the -14. I don't know if there is a wiring guru at my EAA chapter, but I will definitely ask at the next meeting. I think that it is this week. thanks

Hmm...maybe that was in the 7 manual too. I don't remember. But in any case, if they are still promoting that then good wiring practice has passed Vans a number of years ago.

Get a ratcheting crimper set like Bob shows above or a more common unit shown below. This is what it looks like (with PIDG terminal jaws). Stein has them but he sells the ratchet handle and the jaws separate. Different jaws can be installed for different jobs. This and the right jaws will do 12v power wiring plus antenna connectors (BNC or TNC).
101-900.jpg

Again, Stein supplies them. I think buying his boxed assortment is a good way to start. You can't go wrong shopping there first, until you get your feet wet and know more about the tasks and tools.

BTW, The AFM8 that Bob shows above was the tool I mentioned that is ridiculously expensive new. It is for avionics interconnect wiring. Alternative supply is a good thing. :)

Last edited:
I went with a SteinAir crimper. Stay far away from the Harbor Freight crimper?the dies are made of stacked plates of metal, not castings. I saw a video comparing crimps made with the HF version and a good crimper, and the difference was very noticeable. Sloppy, mishapen crimps with the $12 tool. You get what you pay for!!

Back