What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

This suddenly became real...

60av8tor

Well Known Member
What is the saying...one bite at a time..?

After months of thinking, planning, and prepping, it's finally beginning!! With the ink still wet on my Sportair Workshop certificate, this showed up this afternoon. I'm excited, nervous, happy, and hesitant all at the same time:D:D:
DSC_2184.jpg

Congratulations!!

Jon, good for you-------shop looks like it is ready:D

One bite....................YEP.

hope to fell your pain soon

Jon,
I am getting ready to start this summer. Right now I am collecting tools and cleaning out the garage. Still trying to decide on the 10 or 14. If you keep an online blog, please post so I can follow along; If I decide on a 10, we should be in lock step on the build.

Guessing you are another ex-Blackhawk guy(1988-1993, S# 82-23686). The -10 is almost as much fun, but a tad faster and better range. Time to get all of that blue vinyl off and get started. Yell if you have any questions.

Warning

That work area looks way too open and clean for any serious work to get done. I expect that to get rectified over the next couple of weeks. Good luck with the project, and the hardware sorting.

==dave==

Awesome, this will be an awesome journey for you! Welcome to the club, and indeed, no matter hard one step or item is, once it's done, you're done with it and ready to move on. So keep moving forward!

Jon,

Welcome to the Van's Aircraft family! You are in for quite a ride. Kind of like that R1200RT in the background. I just bought a new K1600GTL and can't wait 'till springtime.

Buildin'/flyin'/ridin'.

Ain't many things better than these.

Yep - remember it well...

Oh the excitement Jon! I remember when my big boxes showed up - you keep wishing they would get here and then you think, "What will I do with all of this stuff?" :D All good advice in the posts before mine - just do something every day because progress, however small, is still progress. I hope you enjoy the build as much as I am! Congrats!!

Woohoo!!! Another -10 on it's way. Welcome to the club.

I just got my finishing kit last weekend. When I started building the tail the finish kit felt so far away, but time flies when you stay busy building an airplane and it got here faster than I thought.

Enjoy!

I well remember the feeling. I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of my finish kit at the moment. Congratulations Jon. It's a blast.

Dale

Have fun

Have fun and remember - the trick is to eat a small part of the elephant every day. :)

That box opens a whole new world: RV Brothers all over the world, achieving something really special by building your dream machine and then finally flying it comes to mind. Just like I did this morning doing a 600nm trip in a doddle in our RV10. :D:D

Nice R1200RT. I've spotted quite a few RT's in garage/hangar photos on this site.

Hoping to post a tail kit + R1150RT photo myself before too long.

More than a feeling.....

Hey Jon....congratulations.....let the feeling turn into an AWESOME build experience!!!!:D. I remember the day I jumped in the RV Brotherhood and dream of the first flight!

YOL BOLSON JON !!!

Nice! Setting up the shop and getting started was such a great feeling.

I too have an 1200RT (though not the camhead like yours) great bikes!

What is the saying...one bite at a time..?

After months of thinking, planning, and prepping, it's finally beginning!! With the ink still wet on my Sportair Workshop certificate, this showed up this afternoon. I'm excited, nervous, happy, and hesitant all at the same time:D:D:
DSC_2184.jpg

So you went with the 10 after all!

If you ever need a hand or need to borrow a tool or something, let me know.

Thanks, guys. Definitely a great feeling to get started after thinking about it for so long.

Wayne - yes, a Blackhawk guy. I really miss helos. I retire from Uncle Sam in about 18 months and, hopefully, will be back in them for my next career.

You guys described the feeling to a T! Super excited for the kit to arrive, but a little intimidating opening that sucker:D

Jan - the feeling you describe hit me last evening as I looked at all the tail sheet metal sitting in a spare bedroom. I said to my wife (after she rolled her eyes upon seeing the bedroom), someday, that’s going to be carrying us cross-country at 9,000’. Awesome to think about!

A lot of riders on here as well – good to see. Motorcycling is truly another passion of mine. I would be hard-pressed to choose if I could only have one.

Bob - thanks for the offer! I'm sure I'll be contacting you eventually;)

That picture made me do a double take. Looked a lot like the pic I took when my -10 emp was delivered with a '98 R1100RT sitting behind it. :D

Love the picture

First of all, congratulations. That is a fun time, and it is really enjoyable to build those parts. I miss the riveting side of building.

That picture really brought back memories. My -10 kit was delivered just over 10 years ago. I had a 2002 BMW 1150 GS and R (wife's). I finished that first kit on my 30th birthday and now I turn 40 in a few days and have just shy of 1000 hours on my RV-10. With two girls, the motorcycle is rarely used and the RV-10 is being used more and more.
I sold the -R and still have my -GS.

The circle of distance you can travel in a weekend is soooooo much bigger with the RV-10 vs. the motorcycle, it has been fun to explore new places. I felt like I had traveled almost every road in Utah and the neighboring states. Luckily, it rarely gets old riding in Utah.

Have fun!

Congratulations Jon!

It was nice meeting you at the Sportair Workshop, time to put those new skills to use. Make sure you have some Band-Aids handy...

Hey Ed! Welcome to VAF! It was really nice meeting you, as well. You know, today was the first day my finger didn't hurt at the slightest touch. I got it pretty good:eek:

Thanks, Mike! I've been reading your build log for some time. Other then your shop making me green with envy, it is a great site!;)

Thanks Jon.

You know I grew up in Atlanta, GA and still have family in Kennesaw/Woodstock. I don't make it home as often as I should (that's why I'm building a 10), but when I do, I need to stop in a visit with some of the Goergia 10 Builders. There are several, so you have good resources near you. Perhaps, one day, I'll see you build during a visit home.

Back