What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Calculating Nose Wheel Weight

David Lewis

Well Known Member
The attached document is Van's chart for determining RV-7A nose wheel weight as part of the W&B process. Maximum nose wheel weight with the older gear/engine mount is 375 lbs. Does anyone know the mathematics behind the chart? If possible, I would like to determine nose wheel weight through calculation rather than use the chart. Any help explaining how this works would be greatly appreciated.
N647Xw&bRV7AnoseWheelChart.jpg

PM me with your email and I can send you an excel spreadsheet you can modify for your plane. I did not create it but it works well for me and maybe with the formulas you can figure the math. I am traveling so it will be tonight.

(Flying weight * distance from CG at that weight to main gear) / distance between nose gear and main gear) = weight on nose gear

Basically, divide the sum of the moments by the length.

It's still early for me - hope I didn't mess up the equation.

Dave

(Flying weight * distance from CG at that weight to main gear) / distance between nose gear and main gear) = weight on nose gear

Basically, divide the sum of the moments by the length.

It's still early for me - hope I didn't mess up the equation.

Dave

This is correct. Mathematically, it's called summing the moments about a point, in this case the main gear axles:).....

Back