What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door and Lock Mods

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Keeping ahead of the build. Looking at the different options for doors and locks.

There appear to be several post kit adaptions to the locks and doors which is to be expected as the RV10 is now a rather mature kit.

I have had a quick look about, but would like real life recommends and appraisals to see if any are 'must do' or 'would like'.

:D

Ditto

Aerosport handles and planearound third latch.

Personally, I think the planearound latch should be standard equipment…

Starting on the doors this week. I’m using the Aerosport flush door handles and the plane around 3rd latch. There are a few ways to install I’m trying to juggle which is the easiest and least painfull!

Keith

I also installed both the AeroSport door handles with locks and the Plane-Around 180 3rd latch. I agree that the Plane-Around cam latch should be standard on the RV-10 to reduce possibility of losing a door.

One warning: If you are installing both, be sure to install the Plane-Around latch first, per the instructions (e.g. place the Van's latch operating mechanism where shown on the Van's drawings.) Then, install the exterior AeroSport door handle with lock. I made the mistake of moving the operating mechanism so that with the addition of the AeroSport handle lock it was centered in the pocket. Net result was that the short operating push tubes provided with the Plane-Around latch were the wrong length! I outsmarted myself by trying to install both modifications at the same time!

Following

I have also seen some handles that are recessed into the door so were completely flush with the door. Does anyone know how that is accomplished? I can't find any pictures but saw a few at Oshkosh.

Anyone have any insight into that?

Hendricks

Following

I have also seen some handles that are recessed into the door so were completely flush with the door. Does anyone know how that is accomplished? I can't find any pictures but saw a few at Oshkosh.

Anyone have any insight into that?

Here is a link you can try - http://www.hendricksmfg.com/installations.html

There is a builder at Synergy Air South that just installed these on his RV-10 doors. Nice looking, but I think it’s a bit complicated to get them to work with the PlaneAround latch. I agree that that latch ought to be standard on the 10.

Having now studied the fitting instructions for the PA lock, am I correct in the assumption that the centre rotating cam replaces the multi layer 'safety catch' that is on section 45 of the build plans ?

Having now studied the fitting instructions for the PA lock, am I correct in the assumption that the centre rotating cam replaces the multi layer 'safety catch' that is on section 45 of the build plans ?

Yes.

I've never seen an installed example of the Van's supplied safety catch on any of the RV-10's I've looked at. They all have the PA cam device.

Great,

That has saved me a whole afternoon of filing and de burring - thanks !

Save some paint as well. After seeing the Vans prototype where the pins exit the door, I came up with a piece (4) of ss to protect the frame from inadvertent attempts to close the door with the pins out. It’s going to happen. I saw ones that wrapped around the frame and tied into the nylon block that looked great, but with a close door/frame gap I was unable to close the door. The 2 ss cs rivets go right into the angle support and with a little rtv smear under the plate, no scratches. Front and rear were different spacing for the rivets to center on the angle support, so 2 for the front and 2 for the rear.

Attachments

• B251F161-A2C6-4FE6-A4F2-54A2494295B4.png
    B251F161-A2C6-4FE6-A4F2-54A2494295B4.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 116
Save some paint as well. After seeing the Vans prototype where the pins exit the door, I came up with a piece (4) of ss to protect the frame from inadvertent attempts to close the door with the pins out. It’s going to happen. I saw ones that wrapped around the frame and tied into the nylon block that looked great, but with a close door/frame gap I was unable to close the door. The 2 ss cs rivets go right into the angle support and with a little rtv smear under the plate, no scratches. Front and rear were different spacing for the rivets to center on the angle support, so 2 for the front and 2 for the rear.

I'm using the clear(ish) 3M protection tape used on automobile masks for that purpose. Ain't gonna stop the area from getting a dent, but should prevent paint chips.

Back