What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SLSA Condition Inspection

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I am doing my very first ever SLSA condition inspection (I am an A&P)and have some questions. Previous log book entries claim all ADs were researched and complied with, the aircraft was found to be airworthy and returned to service and "complied with 100 hour inspection" even though it has never been used except by the pilot owner for personal use.
Somewhere I thought I had understood that an SLSA cannot be found airworthy and ADs are not issued on them. Is there some information on SLSA that I am missing? Nothing in the operational limitations mention any of this.

You are correct. The previous logbook entry is not correct.
Although an AD is not precluded on an SLSA, it is not common. Safety issues are addressed by the manufacturer with Safety Directives and Service Bulletins.
It is possible to have an AD on a component and the manufacturer would most likely issue a safety directive to comply with it.

The term is annual condition inspection and the logbook entry does not have to mention ADs or safety directives although it is part of the inspection to check them. They should have already been entered in the logbook when they were complied with.

Here is a sample logbook entry for the annual condition inspection.

"I certify that this aircraft has been inspected IAW the Vans RV-12 MM inspection procedures and is found to be in a condition for safe operation."

Same for the engine and propeller with the appropriate MM or ICA reference.

Last edited:
Note also that the Rotax engine requires inspection at 100 hours or 12 months, whichever comes first. So you could have a situation where the aircraft and engine condition inspections do not coincide.

Back