What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Polishing Disappointment

Skint

Well Known Member
I have been hesitant to post this but decided to go ahead anyway.

My RV7a is polished. It was quite a process 7 years ago but the results were worth it. Saved money on painting, saved weight and looked pretty cool. Being as the lock down has provided me extra time, a thorough condition inspection and repolish was on the books.

I started with the empennage. Using just the S grade. Its awkward reaching around and up and down but came out really well. Then it was time to work down the fuselage from back to front. So now I am working inches away from the fuselage. Going straight to S grit was not good enough. Back to the middle grit. The orbital polishing was doing its job. The fuselage turned black then cleared as I worked away, blackening my nose and hands. Then onto the S.....my favourite! As the haze cleared away, a wrinkled old man appeared in front of me. The more I polished the more wrinkles he had. Now jowls were emerging. Who the **** is that? What little hair he had was grey.

I paused to contemplate this illusion.

I think I am going to get the bird painted............

not just polishing....

Skint;1423131[I said:
]??.., a wrinkled old man appeared in front of me. The more I polished the more wrinkles he had. Now jowls were emerging. Who the **** is that? What little hair he had was grey[/I].
...you may also want to rethink those new progressive lens glasses, and/or any eye surgery, cataract, lasik, etc.
the results can be even more disturbing! ( I look best in 'soft focus', at midnite, at about 100 yards!)
;-)

Who is that guy?

...As the haze cleared away, a wrinkled old man appeared in front of me. The more I polished the more wrinkles he had. Now jowls were emerging. Who the **** is that? ...
That's why I avoid mirrors! My memory of what I look like is much better than what I see there! :D

Yep it takes the strong and brave to have polished planes.

snp9uBOf3HyOFNrY-NH9UOuxmhs3qVpTrCKS7JDYdeCr4o4hGbIaK2ZIpmVpbNwUskTNAensgjvDmUjLJKrMwC4d8XewMmr-N01UywfkbpMIphMoIhAn6FL-dQTHox_hp2g
bzrfhQIyHw1x2p_1jFpu0txesr6NcEuwqD2duE5G0wsXRSPY69yzQ6YqpXLmCTm3QDErph5PIFQD7Lrcd9xcTfadWAu_CQF-0x8whkTDCnSTN_yJ5w

IMG_3183.JPG

Last edited:
That's why I avoid mirrors! My memory of what I look like is much better than what I see there! :D

I don?t have any such problem, since I don?t show up in mirrors. It does present shaving challenges, though.

As the haze cleared away, a wrinkled old man appeared in front of me. The more I polished the more wrinkles he had. Now jowls were emerging. Who the **** is that? What little hair he had was grey.

I paused to contemplate this illusion.

I think I am going to get the bird painted............

Now THAT made me laugh, because I can definitely "see myself there"!

Last edited:
Back