What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb Temp Sensor for Fuel Inection?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I decided to switch my project from carb to Bendix FI. I already have the carb temp sensor wire run and I have the sensor.

Is there any benefit to mounting the carb temp sensor, maybe in the FAB?

I did the same conversion and decided to mount the existing carb temp probe in the airbox behind the vertical servo. I riveted a 1" square of 1/8" aluminum, drilled and tapped the hole, twisted the probe wire backwards several times and screwed the probe in. The temp seems to run 20-30 degrees warmer than when mounted on the carb. Probably picking up some engine heated air on the top of the air box. Dan

I use it as a temp probe to answer all of those nagging "how hot is this going to get" questions. During my recent panel upgrade, left enough length on the wire harness and used a long piece of shrink wrap to protect them. Then used it to test outlet air from both engine and oil cooler, upper firewall area, alternator air temps, etc. I'm sure there are even more uses than this... You could probably also use it to see when the pilot gets 'hot under the collar'... :rolleyes: (sorry couldn't resist...)

I'm doing the same thing removing the MA4-5 carb and installing an RSA5-AD1: I think I'll put the carb temp probe in the FAB air box, or maybe see how warm it gets under the cowl on a hot day. I'm sure we had a friends RV with cowl temps after shutdown over 150 F, so hot you could not touch the carb or you would burn yourself!

You could probably also use it to see when the pilot gets 'hot under the collar'... :rolleyes: (sorry couldn't resist...)

So where exactly did you end up inserting the "pilot temp" probe, Joe? Any discomfort on long flights?

10-00808.jpg

Back