What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A: Where to put the FI Aux pump

lr172

Well Known Member
Didn't ge any responses in the RV-6 forum and thought I would try here:

I am converting my 6A's O-320 to FI. I was going to build up a filter and pump system from parts, but I think I have decided on the AFP pump unit. Just curious where you guys put this on a 6A. It doesn't seem that I can mount it to the spar with the leg mount there. Currently thinking that I will attach it to the floor (center) near the selector. Thinking someone out there came up with something more creative and out of the way. The AFP unit won't fit where the cube pump is (plans location)

Larry

Just in front of the fuel selector works very well - Depending on how good you are at sheet-metal work ... easy to make a few brackets and a cover.

Some good photos on other posts - if you can not find any - email me and I will send you some photos of my installation.. and the brackets - covers that I made

I made this setup about a month ago. The base plate is .063 O material and the rest was fabricated from .025 2024 T3 using some patterns and plans someone else already had. You can see a gap under the front of the box but that was filled with a shim on each side. Also using the AFP setup and lines from TSFlightLines.

rv4PsVbl.jpg

eG5CLpyl.jpg

w1V4tzcl.jpg

Since Vans sells a kit that fits very well I would see if they sell the cover separately. Or if you haven?t purchased the pump yet get their kit.

Larry

Since Vans sells a kit that fits very well I would see if they sell the cover separately. Or if you haven?t purchased the pump yet get their kit.

Larry

Van's kit is for the 7/9 and needs to be modified quite a bit for the -6/6A. I did just that, but if I were doing it over, I think I'd just make it all myself.

Last night I had the idea to set the unit vertically in front of the selector frame. It wouldn't take up much space that way, but would be visible. I like the idea of an open floor. However, I probably will lay it out on the floor to avoid the ugly look.

Did you use .032 for the cover or .025?

Larry

Hey Larry,

Mine's a 9A, but here's what I did.

I put all components inline, and then raised the tunnel cover its full length by about 1.75 in. This avoids the lumpy doghouse:

More pics on VAF at my build thread, "SoCal RV-9A"

I like the boost pump, filter and as many fittings as possible aft of the firewall...less chance of spraying high-pressure fuel on a hot engine, and you can smell any leaks inside pronto. Also, everything here stays cooler, so less chance of vapor lock.

Note: After this picture was taken, I changed the line from the Red Cube to the firewall fitting from straight to sort of a question mark shape (with firewall fitting clocked to 9 o'clock) to better account for drumming of the firewall. Pump is on cushioned Adel clamps, and filter is on a bed of dense foam in aluminum U-channel, secured with a cushioned clamp.

Here's what it looks like covered with carpet. On solo flights, it makes it real easy to stretch my right leg over into the right footwell to get all comfortable and such.

Last edited:
Hey Larry,

Mine's a 9A, but here's what I did.

I put all components inline, and then raised the tunnel cover its full length by about 1.75 in. This avoids the lumpy doghouse:

I don't have a cover, as they weren't provided on the 6 series, but could make one. Is your's .032? Can it take any weight?

Larry

I used the 7/7A FI Pump Inst kit from Vans on my RV-6. It works fine and the cover is part of the kit. Since the floor stiffeners are slightly narrower on the 6, just trim one flange on the mounting plate then rivet a length of .063 angle to set the new width. Easy...

FI pump

Mine is on the firewall. No issues in 450 hours. Old style pump with the tubing farm.

Why is there this instance on locating the fuel flow meter on the suction side of the engine pump?

It was my understanding that the manufacturer of the flow meter recommended installing it on the pressure side of both pumps. That's where I put mine.

Larry

Hey Larry,

.032 sounds about right for the cover....I can't remember exactly. It really is too thin to support any weight. Maybe a fire extinguisher, but that's about it.

For reference.

Hey Larry,

.032 sounds about right for the cover....I can't remember exactly. It really is too thin to support any weight. Maybe a fire extinguisher, but that's about it.

The 7 factory covers for that tunnel area are all .025". Go light.

Back