What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Fed Gov Regulation to Allow E15 Auto Fuel...

I wonder if Swift 94 octane unleaded will find a better market this summer, over 100 LL. Or will more people start blending in 100LL to cut the Reid vapor pressure of this high % Mogas?

I sent a request for information to BRP-Rotax asking if 15% ethanol MOGAS can be used to operate 912ULS. I’ll report back here when I get a reply…

Rotax SI-912 i-001R8 from 30-Sep-2021 addresses ethanol use:

5.1.1) E10 (Unleaded gasoline blended with 10% ethanol)
In addition to AVGAS and unleaded automotive fuel (MOGAS) the ROTAX® 912/914 Series of engines are now approved for use with E10. Fuels that contain more than 10% ethanol blend have not been tested by BRP-Rotax and are not permitted for use.

In other words, due to the corrosive nature and low energy density of ethanol, the only safe place for is in your belly!

Attachments

• si-912-016-r13.pdf
    83.9 KB · Views: 117
Not officially approved by Rotax but the 912 has been operated with 25% E in Brazil for many years.

>>>Politics removed….Mod<<<

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread reopened

Folks,
Please honor Doug’s “no politics” rule. This is a valuable discussion on fuels, so please let’s stick to it.

My current fueling method is to fill each 10 gallon gas "can" of my Flo-Fast 20 gallon system halfway with 5 gallons of Southern States Co-Op 90 octane zero ethanol then top off with 5 gallons of 93 octane "premium" with 10 percent ethanol. This nets 91.5 octane and just 5% ethanol.

If I continue with this blending substituting the E15 Premium for the E10 Premium it will still net over 91 octane and just 7.5% ethanol which remains under the 10% recommendation.

Meanwhile I will try to continue to source E10 as long as it is available somewhere.

This wont be an infomercial, well sort of. Teflon hoses are impervious to ethanol fuels as well as most all other chemicals in use today. Thats one of the great things about teflon. The Original rubber hoses supplied by Rotax and other kit manufacturers hopefuly by now have been replaced by teflon. We had our teflon fuel packages as early as 2012.

The automotive industry figured out about rubber hoses and ethanol in the early 90s when some unfortunate incidents occured. When I was in the automotive/industrial fluidline business we saw a BUNCH of these. Nit many people were using teflon at the time, but it became the go to repair for these vehicles.

So, yes, converting to teflon can get costly to do it right, but you dont have to do it but 1 time.

Tom

Fixed right the first time

I'm in your ballpark Tom. I had you guys build all my firewall forward lines out of Teflon and I built all the in cabin ones because of the complexity.
Now I can relax and enjoy the flight with Costco premium in My RV-6A 0-360 flying high.
I've had no problems with my SDS EM-5F fuel injected engine in 2 years so far.
Art

Back