What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trying to Schedule

gregfuess

Well Known Member
Took Vans three days to acknowledge my order, but received their recognition of it today, along the serial number. Concerned about the order delivery delays, I ordered all four kits, without any large order discount, no less!

Anyway, if Vans delivery schedules hold, the empennage should come in December, the wings and fuse in February and the finish kit in April. Since Van's says this is a 1,300 hour job, and I am retired, the delivery spacing, if not the lateness, should work well.

Since there are four kits, and Vans roughly estimates 1,000 to 1,300 hours build time, is that generally about 300 hours per kit? Because I'm retired and need a project, so if that's correct, then I should be ready for the engine about August 2023, dedicating about 4 hours per day to the project. Which means I should order the engine in August, this year. Which means I will have laid out most of cost of the plane without having received the first container.

Does this seem reasonable to you retired guys out there? Would you order the engine for a plane that you haven't seen hide nor hair of yet?

Oh, yea. Plenty of time to set up the building area, acquire tools, become competent at riveting.

I have not seen the 1,000 - 1,300 hr. figure. Is this for the QB? It sounds fast. I built a 14 QB in 1500 hrs. First time builder. I purchased all fuel, brake, and FWF lines and hoses I could from Aircraft Specialty which sped up the install. Also had a very complete plug and play panel from Aerotronics. Wiring was quick.

I am now in the same position as you. I just ordered all 4 kits on another 14A. I went with the slow build fuselage and the QB wings. I figure if the delivery times hold I will get most of the fuse and finish kit completed by the time the wings come. There is very little work to the QB wings. I was going to wait and see about ordering the engine, panel, and wings. There is some hint of Van's delivery times getting quicker.

Last edited:
My son and I started our Empennage kit March 2020 and completed it late August 2020. The slow build Fuselage kit arrived in September 2020. We were not able to start work on it until December 2020. Most all of 2021 we worked on the fuselage. We primed all interior surfaces and this took a lot of extra time due to waiting on favorable painting weather. By October/November the fuselage was complete. Since we have been waiting on the Finishing Kit, we have been working on avionics and wiring. It’s about 80-90% complete. The Finishing Kit arrived Feb 9th; we are getting started on that now. Recently, I got word that our Quick Build Wing Kit has arrived back at Van’s and is currently being inspected and readied for shipment. That kit was ordered August 2020. I ordered the engine when Lycoming announced their price increase June 30, 2021. We have not received it, but are expecting it soon. My son works full time on another job so we typically only have about 20 hours per week for RV14 work. I’m retired too. In reality, I wouldn’t get much done just working by myself. Most of the time, it takes both of us. I hope this helps with your planning. Working at our pace, I am hoping to be ready for first flight summer of 2023. Personally, were it not for price increases, I would delay ordering the engine until much further down the road but inflation has risen its ugly head.

One thing to consider before ordering the engine is if you are sure you will enjoy building. If you have built something as involved as an airplane before, then, you know the answer. If not, I would wait to see how the project progresses before ordering engine, avionics, etc., which each account for about 1/3 of the project expenses. My friends and I always say you know when a builder is committed when they order the engine.
:rolleyes:

Took Vans three days to acknowledge my order, but received their recognition of it today, along the serial number. Concerned about the order delivery delays, I ordered all four kits, without any large order discount, no less!

three days? when did you submit your order?
asking as I sent in an order over two weeks ago and still haven't received an acknowledgment.

three days? when did you submit your order?
asking as I sent in an order over two weeks ago and still haven't received an acknowledgment.

Order submitted Friday, February 18th. Submitted proof of wire transfer the same day. Wrote Tuesday the 22nd and Thursday the 24th asking for status. Received confirm by email the 24th.

Serial No. still not recognized on the status page.

The most modern matched-hole RV-14/14A kit might take about 1000-1300 hours. This is for the slow build kit.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/time-to-build/

Van's estimates are notoriously on the low side - very low side. That time range is more apt for an experienced builder, or the rare super-talented (or time-fudger) new builder. As a point of reference, I was a first-time builder, and took just under 2000hrs for a -14A slow build, over a period of ~2.7 years. I used Aircraft Specialty for all lines, SteinAir for a full avionics build, a full Flightlines Interior, and I rarely deviated from the plans. I did carefully do many sections, which of course added time compared to someone who simply whips through the tasks.

I logged all my time on my blog (https://alex-rv14a.blogspot.com) - note the time log on the left if you scroll down. Also most posts have many additional pics if you click "read more" at the bottom.

_Alex

Last edited:
Time to Build?

I am a first timer. Started slow build July 22, 2020.
20 x 52' shop
Two post 9000# lift
Well lit
Heated
Experienced race car/antique motorcycle/antique car restorer
Retired
Have worked on the -14A nearly every day 4-10hr/day with exception of two short 6 day vacations
2040 hours logged to date

Completed:
Tail feathers
Fuse
Finish except canopy
FWF except engine to hang and plumb

Needed:
Panel (avionics all here just not wired)
Wings (QB coming today!)
Assembly
Testing

Estimate another 1000 hours including paint to get flying

IMHO, anyone that can build one of these for the first time in under 2000 hours is my HERO, or lying about the actual time spent.

Don't worry about delays in kits arriving, to some extent, because there is ALWAYS a lot more to do in the mean time. My QB wings were one of the kits delayed nearly 8 months due to Covid. Didn't cost me anything in terms of schedule.

Keep building.

S

Don't worry about delays in kits arriving, to some extent, because there is ALWAYS a lot more to do in the mean time. My QB wings were one of the kits delayed nearly 8 months due to Covid. Didn't cost me anything in terms of schedule.

S

did your wings arrive? So far I've heard from 1,500 to your much longer ~3k hours to complete. Are you in your own hanger, or an airport hanger with support from other builders and EAA technical advisor? You sound like you're putting in the same time per day, etc that I plan on.

Just wishing I could get the empennage or something to begin working!

First time builder here, near to crossing the 200 hour mark with hands on tools/parts. Done with vertical stabilizer and horizontal stabilizer, 70% done with rudder, 70% done with elevator. Even as I get faster and more confident, I could see the aft fuselage taking another 100 hours, which would make me end with around 350 for the emp kit.

This does not bode well for a slow build timeline below 2000 hours, even though I plan for a professionally built panel and drop-in brake and fuel lines. I thought I would be going faster than I am. But, due attention to quality demands that I slow down.

Even as I get faster and more confident, I could see the aft fuselage taking another 100 hours, which would make me end with around 350 for the emp kit.

Curious why you would say that about approaching 2000 hrs to completion, if you estimate that the empennage/tail will complete in about 350 hours. Vans says ~1,300 hrs, and that divided by four kits puts you in that 1,300 hr range.

Thoughts?

Tail ends up being about an eighth of the build.
I was about half done with my -10 by the time I did tail/emp/wings/fuselage aluminum.

The next half was glass and panel/systems/options/upgrades.

You’ll hear 90% done, 90% to go. With the -10 that was true. Maybe less so if you’re not doing glass, somebody else doing your panel, smaller airframe, etc.

Phil
RV10, built/flying
Bountiful, UT

that divided by four kits puts you in that 1,300 hr range.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

If only it was that simple:eek:
Cheers DaveH

...Vans says ~1,300 hrs, and that divided by four kits puts you in that 1,300 hr range.

Thoughts?

Time isn't evenly divided between the kits. The Emp kit takes the shortest amount of time, even with a learning curve built into the equation. The finish kit took the longest for me, largely because of the inordinate amount of time I spent on the fiberglass parts and the canopy.

Have you looked into the EAA SportAir workshops? I took three: Sheet Metal for RVs, Fiberglass techniques for RV aircraft, and Electrical and Avionics. All were excellent courses with plenty of hands-on training.

_Alex

Have you looked into the EAA SportAir workshops? I took three: Sheet Metal for RVs, Fiberglass techniques for RV aircraft, and Electrical and Avionics. All were excellent courses with plenty of hands-on training.

_Alex

Excellent recommendation, thanks. And with the 10 months to wait for an empennage kit, scheduling shouldn't be an issue. Heading over to the EAA site to investigate.

Van's estimates are notoriously on the low side - very low side. That time range is more apt for an experienced builder, or the rare super-talented (or time-fudger) new builder. As a point of reference, I was a first-time builder, and took just under 2000hrs for a -14A slow build, over a period of ~2.7 years. I used Aircraft Specialty for all lines, SteinAir for a full avionics build, a full Flightlines Interior, and I rarely deviated from the plans. I did carefully do many sections, which of course added time compared to someone who simply whips through the tasks.

I logged all my time on my blog (https://alex-rv14a.blogspot.com) - note the time log on the left if you scroll down. Also most posts have many additional pics if you click "read more" at the bottom.

_Alex

Having recently completed a RV-14A slow build, I can validate those numbers. A first time builder, I worked mainly on my own with occasional help from friends, it took me 1800 hours over 26 months. I logged everything on the EAA Builder's Site from day one. I finished my 40 hour phase one in early Jan this year and it's currently being painted. So from initial empennage order to fully legal and painted RV-14A was 2.7 years.

I think I remember reading on this site before I started building that Van’s estimates are for their kits only. So doesn’t include panel, interior, or engine. Not sure if this is true or not. I would plan for closer to 2000 hrs for a slow build by a first time builder.

Back