What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anybody have contacts at Transport Canada

TroyBranch

Well Known Member
Friend
I have just had a Final inspection on my new project that makes a great second plane to the RV10. (Trying to keep it RV related, but this creates a serious problem for all builders in Canada) Just yesterday I got a call saying that all MDRA inspectors across Canada are not current and my Final inspection is void and will have to be done again. The MDRA has been waiting for quite some time for these papers to be released. Can you believe that no Amateur build airplane can be inspected at this time! So I have been calling many numbers and leaving messaged with no response from TC or the MDRA. Anyone have an "IN" to help me out here. I am just a wee bit frustrated.:rolleyes:

TC

From a TC contact, I was told that TC want the the least possible to do with the homebuilt/experimental category. The MDRA are...how can I say this diplomatically..... becoming very bureaucratic!

Good luck!

In this current situation TC has not released the Delegation Authority Papers to the MDRA. At least that is what I have been told. Got messages and emails in to both parties. Let the getting no where begin.

The real question is whether your inspection will really need to be done again, or whether your inspector can just fill out a new checklist, date it *after* he got his paperwork back, and send it in.

And whether you'll have to pay another $1200 for the second inspection.

I have built a Just aircraft SuperSTOL. Should be fun, but not as fun at the ten:p. It sounds like we just need to do the paper work over. I sure hope it ends up that way. It sounds like it is just the Prairie north region that is slackers! lol. All other regions have their forms signed and sent out. The one time is wish is still lived in NB:rolleyes:

My mdra rep in Quebec hasn't heard anything about this. Was this issue just affecting the Alberta mdra inspector?

I guess it is just the Transport Canada's Prairie North Region that is effected. All of the other regions have signed off all of the MDRA inspectors delegation papers. I guess the guy out here must think it s not that important.:rolleyes:I will keep all other thoughts to myself:D

Inspectors in BC were affected as well... One builder I know delayed his inspection when his inspector told him that they were all out-of-license. I thought it was all resolved, but maybe that was just the BC region.

As strange as this may seem, try reaching out to the Minister of Transport on Twitter. I've had to deal with some issues that went well past the mandated response time but as soon as it got to the Ministers social media the region in question started working on the documentation. This wasn't an MDRA issue but it might be work a try.

As strange as this may seem, try reaching out to the Minister of Transport on Twitter. I've had to deal with some issues that went well past the mandated response time but as soon as it got to the Ministers social media the region in question started working on the documentation. This wasn't an MDRA issue but it might be work a try.

Really? Why would they even have a twitter account?

Bevan

Transport Canada (@Transport_gc) has an account for promoting their public awareness and safety campaigns and the Minister (@lraitt) has her own account for more interaction with the Canadian public. I can't really answer your question as to why with any certainty, I can only presume that it was done as a method of exposure for the department in a changing media landscape. Sometimes using social media can be effective is bringing these issues to the attention of people that can actually do something about it.

Troy,

I'll send an email to the TC fellow I dealt with. I'll post it if I'm able to get a response.

Just received this response from Transport Canada Atlantic.

Hi Paul,

The MD-RAs in our region have expired. I have just completed the renewal documents and sent the documents out to be vetted. Talk to MD-RA Inspections Services if you have a specific question, they may be better able to assist you.

This is what I got from TC after asking for a time frame. I guess they are trained to not commit to a date :rolleyes: Lol.

"? the delegate letters are being signed - will be sent out soon
If I hear of a date I will let you know"

So all that can be done is be patient, very patient!

Back