What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Angle of Attack Instrument

samgaddis

I suspect this may be a dumb question, but where is the angle of attack instrument (not the indicator). Is it the same as the pitot tube? I am used to seeing the airline AOAs which are a little wing on the nose.

Garmin and Dynon sell combined pitot/AOA probes. You’ll need a mount for the pitot/AOA too.

There are a few different style AOA sensors available, including the moving vane one you mentioned.

Advanced Flight has (had?) one that used a couple holes strategically located in the top and bottom of the wing skin.

Pitot with sensor already mentioned.

Some EFIS's can generate a "calculated" AOA.

I suspect this may be a dumb question, but where is the angle of attack instrument (not the indicator). Is it the same as the pitot tube? I am used to seeing the airline AOAs which are a little wing on the nose.

Just to be clear, the Garmin Pitot/AOA has two holes in the forward end - one for each function. Otherwise, it looks like a conventional pitot tube. The Garmin, at least, is also heated. There are probably others, too.

Just to be clear, the Garmin Pitot/AOA has two holes in the forward end - one for each function. Otherwise, it looks like a conventional pitot tube. The Garmin, at least, is also heated. There are probably others, too.

Dynon also sells a heated version. Temperature controlled electronically, so you don't burn the skin off your hand if you accidentally touch it on the ground.

There are a few different style AOA sensors available, including the moving vane one you mentioned.

Advanced Flight has (had?) one that used a couple holes strategically located in the top and bottom of the wing skin.

That method is still available via AFS and you need a separate instrument (indicator lights) mounted on the glare shield. Currently, the "in-wing" sensors are no longer possible for AFS and Dynon EFIS's and they use only the ports in the Dynon heated pitot.

Be aware that in both cases, there is some awkward plumbing that has to be done getting the tubing through the wings.

It's not exactly what you're asking for, but Van's wing kits come standard with a stall warning instrument (Chapter 17, page 7). AoA instruments are not standard in their kit.

Thank you all - it's clearly the GAP 26 pitot tube solution. Stein was on my equipment list and I remember seeing GAP 26 on the VPX. I am slowly but surely learning all the parts of this airplane!

Which leads me to another question, has anyone installed the GI 260 on the glare shield in addition to the GAP 26 original pitot installation that puts the indicator on the G3X. I really having that indicator, but it seems like having a more prominent indicator in the glare shield might help keep my eyes outside the airplane.

From the various places that seem to be selling it, it appears this can be added "by just connecting four wires." But I'm curious if anyone can elaborate on what that installation might look like. I will be finding an expert to help, but I'm still curious.

Last edited:
Thank you all - it's clearly the GAP 26 pitot tube solution. Stein was on my equipment list and I remember seeing GAP 26 on the VPX. I am slowly but surely learning all the parts of this airplane!

Which leads me to another question, has anyone installed the GI 260 on the glare shield in addition to the GAP 26 original pitot installation that puts the indicator on the G3X. I really having that indicator, but it seems like having a more prominent indicator in the glare shield might help keep my eyes outside the airplane.

From the various places that seem to be selling it, it appears this can be added "by just connecting four wires." But I'm curious if anyone can elaborate on what that installation might look like. I will be finding an expert to help, but I'm still curious.

My buddy installed one on his glareshield. He said it was easy and straightforward. He still can display on the G3x screen, too.

OnSpeed AoA

In addition to visual display of AOA, you really should look into the aural (tone) AOA as well. Search for "OnSpeed". The was a really informative video posted recently.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=204342&highlight=OnSpeed

And to clarify, there are two parts to an AOA system: sensor (pitot & AoA tube) and indicator (EFIS or separate display or aural tone -- not to be confused by stall warning horn).

Finn

Last edited:
I reached out to Advanced Flight Systems today and asked if they still offered the AOA system I installed in my -8. This was the one that required two small holes in the wing and a display that mounted on the glare shield. Sadly they no longer offer it :( Below is the response from AFS.

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 4:32 PM
To: John Barker <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: AOA

Hi John,

Our AOA products are no longer in production. AOA is available with our monitors.

Tricia Blank
Sales/Purchasing
Advanced Flight Systems
503-263-0037 ext. 2102
www.advancedflightsystems.com

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 3:30 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: AOA

Query: Sales
Name: John C Barker
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 503-815-3633
Subject: AOA
Message: I installed your AOA in my RV-8. Loved it! I'm building an RV-14a now and would like to install the same thing. It required two small holes in the wing and had a wonderful glare shield mounted indicator. Do you still sell the same or similar system? Thanks, John

I reached out to Advanced Flight Systems today and asked if they still offered the AOA system I installed in my -8. This was the one that required two small holes in the wing and a display that mounted on the glare shield. Sadly they no longer offer it :( Below is the response from AFS.

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 4:32 PM
To: John Barker <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: AOA

Hi John,

Our AOA products are no longer in production. AOA is available with our monitors.

Tricia Blank
Sales/Purchasing
Advanced Flight Systems
503-263-0037 ext. 2102
www.advancedflightsystems.com

By that, Tricia means that on their 5000-series EFIS's, AoA data comes only over an SV-Network via a Dynon SV-ADAHRS, getting its data info from a Dynon heated pitot.

I went through this whole routine with them a year ago. The end result was excellent, but I still have some level of PTSD from that whole plumbing and wiring process.

That's disappointing to hear. The original AFS AOA was so simple. Besides I don't like having to look down at my display to find the AOA. When I started flying the AOA I never looked at airspeed again once I was below flap speed.

I have the same system as MacCool. While I did configure the display to show AOA, I rely on the aural, not usually having the attention on short final to look at the display.

I have the same system as MacCool. While I did configure the display to show AOA, I rely on the aural, not usually having the attention on short final to look at the display.

Agreed. The aural tone is a nice touch in that you get a progressikve warning as you approach stall speed. Prior to the current 5000-series, my 4500 EFIS, would suddenly exclaim.."ANGLE ANGLE PUSH". Which apparently is EFIS-speak for "you're about to stall-spin-die, dumb***

"ANGLE ANGLE PUSH" does not seem very helpful on short final. Pretty sure i would have turned that off quickly. I do like the increasing frequency beeps as one slows.

Thanks for the chuckle.

I actually just calibrated the AOA sensor on the AFS 4500 the other day. The "Angle Angle Push" comes in too soon for my liking, though the EFIS AOA display is excellent and seems accurate. I've got to research whether I can shrink down the aural warning margin at all.

I would have liked to add one up on the glare shield, I was disappointed to hear that AFS no longer produces the standalone unit.

Back