What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell Prop Selection RV14A

Ferdara

RV14A Build - Ordered Thunderbolt 390 looking for the right prop. Selecting from Hartzell. C2YR-1BFP/F7497 74". Don't know much about the G2YR/N7605W-74 2X Extended hub composite 2-blade. Like the 3C1-R430A1X/76C03-2X Explorer composite 3-blade. What is the possibility of weight and balance issues with either of the composite props?

My 14A has the 2-blade Hartzell composite prop and I love it. Beautiful to look at and responds quickly to throttle changes. Vic Syracuse lauded the smoothness of a composite prop and Hartzell assured me of its endurance vs an aluminum prop. No problem with weight and balance. :)

Thank you very much for your recommendation and experience.

My 14A has the 2-blade Hartzell composite prop and I love it. Beautiful to look at and responds quickly to throttle changes. Vic Syracuse lauded the smoothness of a composite prop and Hartzell assured me of its endurance vs an aluminum prop. No problem with weight and balance. :)

Well I am not going to dispute what MED said since he is talking from experience and mine is only based on info I have received.
However, in general the 14A needs a bit more weight up front for a great W&B. This does not mean that one can not put a composite prop but if it is to have that great W&B, some other changes might be needed to consider.
Also, I have heard that the Harzell composite prop can not go thru all its range and a bit more limited due to the width of the blade and that it may hit the cowl. I don't know if a hub extension can be installed.
I have got this info both from VANS and Harzell as I considered it on both of my RV14s.

The Hartzell composite prop comes with a 3” prop extension, which, I believe pretty much negates any weight and balance differences with the heavier aluminum prop and avoids any issue with the cowling. I also have a stand-by alternator installed which moves my weight and balance near the forward limit. The Hartzell composite prop is limited to 2650 rpm vs 2700 for full hp with the IO390. I don’t believe anyone could tell the difference, though - it climbs like a homesick angel! :cool:

3 bladed Catto fixed pitch prop

I'm considering the 3 bladed Catto fixed pitch prop. Anyone out there gone this route?

The Hartzell composite prop is limited to 2650 rpm vs 2700 for full hp with the IO390. I don’t believe anyone could tell the difference, though - it climbs like a homesick angel! :cool:

Hey MED- Curious where that limitation is listed, I have the same prop on my 7A (also IO-390) but I don't recall seeing it. Just want to make sure I didn't miss something on mine.
thanks
dan

Hey MED- Curious where that limitation is listed, I have the same prop on my 7A (also IO-390) but I don't recall seeing it. Just want to make sure I didn't miss something on mine.
thanks
dan

Well, I looked through my prop documentation and couldn’t find it, so I called Hartzell. They searched, too, and called me back to say it was approved for 2700 rpm with a 210 hp IO390. Surprising. I don’t know where we (2 of us) were originally told about this prop limit, and both of our prop governors were sent to Hartzell to address a different issue (prop creep with a throttle quadrant) and were returned with a 2650 upper limit. Sorry for posting erroneous info. (I just wish I could figure out where we were told this. :confused:)

Well, I looked through my prop documentation and couldn’t find it, so I called Hartzell. They searched, too, and called me back to say it was approved for 2700 rpm with a 210 hp IO390. Surprising. I don’t know where we (2 of us) were originally told about this prop limit, and both of our prop governors were sent to Hartzell to address a different issue (prop creep with a throttle quadrant) and were returned with a 2650 upper limit. Sorry for posting erroneous info. (I just wish I could figure out where we were told this. :confused:)

No worries at all- and thanks for looking into it. I was concerned I was twisting a little much at take off. like you said- probably negligible difference. Such a great prop.

Thanks again!

Back