What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Barrett IO540 sump kit

TS Flightlines

Well Known Member
Advertiser
For all of you RV10 or other users of the Barrett IO540 CAI sump that need the external hose for the oil pump---I have some news:
Our supplier for the tee fitting on the sump bottom has supposedly discontinued it. Yes there are some others that may have it, and we looked into it, but they were EXPENSIVE--
So for the time being, I'm putting a hold on these kits until I can figure an alternative thats cost effective for all. WE mainly used this tee for integration with a SafeAir P5000 quick drain. IF you dont need a quick drain, then a AN826-10D and a AN929-10D will be just fine. I'm working on a solution for this.

Tom

What about

For all of you RV10 or other users of the Barrett IO540 CAI sump that need the external hose for the oil pump---I have some news:
Our supplier for the tee fitting on the sump bottom has supposedly discontinued it. Yes there are some others that may have it, and we looked into it, but they were EXPENSIVE--
So for the time being, I'm putting a hold on these kits until I can figure an alternative thats cost effective for all. WE mainly used this tee for integration with a SafeAir P5000 quick drain. IF you dont need a quick drain, then a AN826-10D and a AN929-10D will be just fine. I'm working on a solution for this.

Tom

Tom

How about this? Easy enough to put a 1/2" NPT x Male flare in the 1/2" female NPT where the hose would go...price is right...

https://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/Pr...MIqMnSr_ze9QIV845bCh1WLAUoEAQYASABEgJ_OPD_BwE

Hi Bob---certainly you can put several adapters together to make things work.
I personally think its should not only be functional, but not look like a several adapters connected.
Could use a NPT tee, with a male close nipple and a AN816 on the branch side, but it looks like a bunch of fittings cobbled together. I'd "personally" rather have something that looks like it belongs.

Tom

Tom

Thanks Tom. I'm certainly interested in adding a quick drain to my Barrett IO-540, so let us know.
-Marc

Hi Bob---certainly you can put several adapters together to make things work.
I personally think its should not only be functional, but not look like a several adapters connected.
Could use a NPT tee, with a male close nipple and a AN816 on the branch side, but it looks like a bunch of fittings cobbled together. I'd "personally" rather have something that looks like it belongs.

Tom

I would certainly agree, however, those fittings look better than a 21” 10D hose looping around!

Also, I think the your sump solution actually works better if the tee is further from the sump. I ended up installing another fitting between the tee and sump which reduced the required bend in the hose. Worked great. It would be great if the tee fitting could have a 3” nipple to 1/2” NPT to screw into the sump, a male flare to attach the hose, and a female 1/2” NPT for the quick drain. It would be close to perfect!

WE looked at installs other than the RV10 as well to come up with a concept. WE had conversations with Alan Barrett early on on what he liked and didnt like. The long loop hose was definitely out, so we wanted to do something different.
Lots of options.
Tom

Can't wait

WE looked at installs other than the RV10 as well to come up with a concept. WE had conversations with Alan Barrett early on on what he liked and didnt like. The long loop hose was definitely out, so we wanted to do something different.
Lots of options.
Tom

Can't wait to see what you come up with. I have to say I definitely like the short hose solution.

I did have a question. Would it be possible to bore the fitting that goes in the accessory case to accept the finger strainer? You may already be doing this, so the question may be irrelevant, just curious...

Bob----we dont do it---but the builder can. I didnt have reservations about doing it, BUT in using an angled fitting (either the 45* or the 90*) with NPT threads, there was the possibility that repeated removing and reinstalls would change the threads slightly in the case, thus when tightening, change the orientation of the fitting, and the relationship of the hose.

I would have prefered to have an o'ring boss fitting there, but that would me a redesign by Barrett. NOT going to happen. YES, there are NPS 90* swivel fittings, but they extend further.

We even looked at a NPT male to O'ring boss female bushing, but in order to access the screen, you had to remove the bushing, so it didnt solve anything.

I think for the immediate future, we may make an adapter similar to a AN910-4D, but with 7/8-14 female threads on one side to thread onto a AN826-10D. BUT, I've also looked into making our own 1 piece tee in 6061T6. Just have to see if its justifible.

Tom

So...

Bob----we dont do it---but the builder can. I didnt have reservations about doing it, BUT in using an angled fitting (either the 45* or the 90*) with NPT threads, there was the possibility that repeated removing and reinstalls would change the threads slightly in the case, thus when tightening, change the orientation of the fitting, and the relationship of the hose.

I would have prefered to have an o'ring boss fitting there, but that would me a redesign by Barrett. NOT going to happen. YES, there are NPS 90* swivel fittings, but they extend further.

We even looked at a NPT male to O'ring boss female bushing, but in order to access the screen, you had to remove the bushing, so it didnt solve anything.

I think for the immediate future, we may make an adapter similar to a AN910-4D, but with 7/8-14 female threads on one side to thread onto a AN826-10D. BUT, I've also looked into making our own 1 piece tee in 6061T6. Just have to see if its justifible.

Tom

So what was the consensus on the finger strainer? The fitting MUST be bored to accept the strainer or the strainer will not fit. The only two options I can see is for the owner to bore it or not install the strainer. I can easily see what you are talking about on repetitive R & R of that fitting.

I actually have to chuckle at the finger strainer; anything that it would catch would be big enough to have a part number!

If you decide to make a 1 piece Tee in 6061T6, I would be more than happy to test it! That would be a really nice piece...

Bob---consensus was they would bore the AN822-10D and install the finger strainer. I even thought about an inline strainer, but gee this can get out of hand in a big hurry. WE looked at maybe doing a stainless rigid tube, but everything would have be be identical, and we have seen several RV10 modified mounts that the cross tube was not in the same place. Ruled that out.

This has been a compromise from the concept. Fun but very trying project.
Yes we are looking at making the 1 piece tee----but if were are only a few users, say 50, it doesnt make sense to do a production run, and still keep the costs reasonable. I limiting factor is how may CAI sumps Rhonda is going to sell in the next year or 2----

But working on it.

Tom

Timely thread thanks Tom.

I have put this off as I've been working on avionics and the intake system for a little while.

Another data point: I have the new modified engine mount which has the swivel at the top of the gear rubbers.

My CAI sump has the straight 1/2"NPT to AN10 installed - presumably counterbored with the strainer - I haven't pulled it out.

Toms 90degree bent fitting out the back of the sump interferes with the nose gear rubbers so its a non starter. I thought it might fit, but its too close.

My engine mount almost certainly didn't need to be modified to clear the sump. Theres 1.5-1.75" of room between the lowered cross bar and the bottom of the sump. This puts the NPT/AN/AN tee supplied pointing straight at the cross bar.

So, like Bob, Ill end up putting a street tee on the sump and Toms fitting and the drain on the bottom. Lowering the whole thing another 3" or so.

The top fitting though... Im going to try a 1/2"NPT to AN10 swivel elbow and counterbore the NPT for the strainer.

Ill then have a hose straight drop down into a 45 AN on the bottom tee. Tom ill be emailing you separately :D
I may also consider a solid s/s line as well.

Fun but Trying is probably being kind. The whole setup is a massive compromise in many regards IMHO.
At a guess Id say a lot of those finger screens may never see the light of day because of it.

IMG_4184.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Richard----could possibly use a AN823-10D 45* turned away from the noce gear, or AN822-10D turned 90* either way to clear the nose gear.

Here is MY issue------I dont have a Barrett CAI on a IO540, on a RV10 engine mount to get definitive dimensional data. In a perfect world, my prototype shop WOULD have. Expensive, and with the parts supply situation today, just isnt going to happen. So we rely on you guys for the data to help make things better.

In Richards case----seems he has a mount with different isolators that puts everything in a different location----so a custom situation is needed.
Oh and the tee could be rotated another 90* to allow the branch port to uncover from the cross tube.
Tom

Last edited:
Hi Richard----could possibly use a AN823-10D 45* turned away from the noce gear, or AN822-10D turned 90* either way to clear the nose gear.

Hi Tom, yeah I just don't like the variability of the NPT clocking to the same spot at each screen inspection.

I think that the new mount design is likely slightly different too which is not helping things.

Ill get there eventually. Thanks for your help.

Just to add to the above, the new style RV10 engine mount WD-01001-D1-1 is quite a bit different to the original WD-1001-D1. Maybe it was redesigned to alleviate the cracking addressed in SB 14-8-29 or some other reason.

There was also a notice back in 2007 about this lower bar interference issue.

Anyway, the cross bar between the two lower engine mount bolts on the new mount is materially lower. Hard to tell from the drawings but it is probably around 1". The factory could probably confirm.

On my install with the CAI sump, there would have been no need to have that lower bar modified. So keep this in mind if you are thinking about this sump setup. Its likely one less thing to worry about now.

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 10.34.18 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 10.34.37 am.png

From my friend Krea Ellis----looks like SafeAir makes a AN to INV adapter for a different number valve. OK----

Still think it looks alittle long and out of place---but if it works---

Tom

Attachments

• safeair and safeair adapter..jpeg
    safeair and safeair adapter..jpeg
    750.3 KB · Views: 75
UPDATE: I received this from SafeAir----hope I can call their name---
This is their AN10-INV adapter and quickdrain valve, we will use in conjunction with a AN826-10D branch tee. This is work until we can come up with something else.

So a AN826-10D and the SafeAir valve/adapter along with our hose and your up and running.

Tom

Attachments

• SAFEAIR AN10-INV QUICK DRAIN.jpg
    SAFEAIR AN10-INV QUICK DRAIN.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 61
Back