What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Element Fire Extinguisher?

jjconstant

Well Known Member
Has anyone heard of or used one of these for fire extinguishing?https://elementfire.com

They seem to be marketing for automotive uses but the notion of using a pyrotechic device inside an aircraft seems dubious, but the weight and space savings would be nice if it?s safe.

New type fire extinguisher

Looks pretty good to me---at least by their own advertising

Non-toxic discharge will not remove breathing oxygen in confined spaces

Element never expires (no shelf life)

ELEMENT REQUIRES ZERO SERVICING & NEVER EXPIRES

Element is certified for international transport by surface (land or sea) only. Any method of shipping that involves air (including personal or checked baggage on commercial aircraft) is prohibited by national and international safety regulations. For this reason we only ship Element by surface transportation methods and do not offer express shipping options.

https://elementfire.com/pages/faqs

already a fire

Read the technical PDF. When you strike the cap, you expose an alkali metal, Potassium, to air...
I have experience with this type of fire extinguisher in the datacenter environment. It does work, that's for sure. Didn't know that they had this for smaller applications like cars and aircraft - very interesting.

There is a residue left behind by the system we used (firepro) which will probably not cause trouble for aircraft, but we found it did cause some issues with ICT equipment.

Also

It would be interesting to know how it interacts with aluminum. You know, like the whole simple green thing...

Interesting product, but my concern would be how does it work in a wind-blown fire, such as an aircraft in flight or even a burning aircraft on the ground when the wind is blowing. All of the videos seem to show the users getting very close to the source of the flame in still air. A real fire creates so much heat that getting close can be impossible.

-Marc

Non-toxic discharge will not remove breathing oxygen in confined spaces

They say that, and then there's this statement: "This gas attaches itself to the oxygen surrounding the fire robbing its ability to combust".

Very curious discontinuity...

Easy access

I look at it as a nice little safety net for anyone who may not either have room for a standard fire extinguisher or who doesn?t usually carry one in the airplane at all. It looks like it would be small and compact enough to mount it on the bottom edge of the panel where it?s easily accessible.

Mark

Back