Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2021, 12:05 PM

Default CS Props/Eng Combos that are controllable eng OUT

Resultant Feedback:
1. Electrically controlled props
2. MT Three Blade MTV-12-B/183-59b, on YIO 390 down to 80 Kts
3. IO-360A1B6 with non-aerobatic Hartzell prop and MT Governor down to 80 Kts
4. 0 320 with a Hartzell prop with the MT gov

Looks like the common thread on a non-aero CS hydraulic prop is an MT governor. My understanding is that the governor is both a regulator and an oil pressure booster. So perhaps the MT governor has a higher oil pressure output at lower RPMs than other governors.

Would be nice to have a prop person like the folks at Catto weigh in.

Original question:

Hello All,

I would like to try to harvest some anecdotal information and repost a summary of which CS props and engine combinations yield control in engine out scenarios.

If you have done true no engine power testing (Not idle, but truly no power) and found that you can still control your prop to the course position please post your prop/governor/engine and lowest observed controllable airspeed in Knots.

Ideally a builder could consider this aspect of extended glide as worth one prop combo or another.

Last edited by wawrzynskivp : 06-17-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawrzynskivp View Post
Hello All,

I would like to try to harvest some anecdotal information and repost a summary of which CS props and engine combinations yield control in engine out scenarios.

If you have done true no engine power testing (Not idle, but truly no power) and found that you can still control your prop to the course position please post your prop/governor/engine and lowest observed controllable airspeed in Knots.

Ideally a builder could consider this aspect of extended glide as worth one prop combo or another.
... Aerobatic C/S propellers all automatically go to course pitch on engine stoppage. Thanks, Allan
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 06-15-2021, 02:04 PM

Electric props are controllable.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:30 PM

Default Aerobatic Props

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfTech View Post
... Aerobatic C/S propellers all automatically go to course pitch on engine stoppage. Thanks, Allan
This is not exactly true. The "counterweighted" aerobatic props are designed to go to coarse pitch upon loss of oil pressure, but if the engine stops producing thrust while maintaining oil pressure the prop will continue to "govern"...

With that said, my IO-360A1B6 with non-aerobatic Hartzell prop and MT Governor (circa 2006) is fully controllable in a true engine-out glide. I have tested this down to ~ 80 KIAS. At 100 KIAS, the difference between prop lever forward and prop lever aft is ~1500 RPM/~600 RPM.

Skylor

Last edited by skylor : 06-15-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylor View Post
This is not exactly true. The "counterweighted" aerobatic props are designed to go to coarse pitch upon loss of oil pressure, but if the engine stops producing thrust while maintaining oil pressure the prop will continue to "govern"...

With that said, my IO-360A1B6 with non-aerobatic Hartzell prop and MT Governor (circa 2006) is fully controllable in a true engine-out glide. I have tested this down to ~ 80 KIAS. At 100 KIAS, the difference between prop lever forward and prop lever aft is ~1500 RPM/~600 RPM.

Skylor
How did you test that?
Old 06-15-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylor View Post

Skylor
....I was referring to prop stopped, and the hub with the spring reversed. You have zero RPM prop stopped.
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 06-15-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
How did you test that?
While well above an airport, I established a glide at idle, then pulled the mixture to ICO. When finished with the test point, advancing the mixture then throttle results in immediate power.

Skylor
Old 06-15-2021, 04:59 PM

So the engine was still turning and producing oil pressure? I have similar setup, IO-360 with Hartzell CS.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:25 AM

As long as the engine is turning, the oil pump and governor will be able to control a hydraulically actuated prop. This goes for windmilling too as the pumps and accessories don't know what the source of engine rotation.
Fuselage at the "porcupine stage"
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV8
Donation till September 2022
Old 06-16-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Z View Post
As long as the engine is turning, the oil pump and governor will be able to control a hydraulically actuated prop. This goes for windmilling too as the pumps and accessories don't know what the source of engine rotation.
This is not universally true.

We have done engine off glide testing in the RV-10 and RV-14 demonstrators and I can say for certain (I was pilot for the tests on the RV-10) that on our RV-10, prop control position made zero difference on decent rate or RPM. I think that was the case for the RV-14A as well.

I have read reports that I consider reliable, of tests that did indicate that pulling the blue knob increase glide performance, so I don't know what factors are in play when it doesn't. My guess would be that it is related to what the minimum RPM is that you can control the propeller while the engine is running. If the wind milling RPM is below this value, pulling the blue knob on a wind milling engine will have no effect.

So I suggest not assuming that it will help, but I know of no down side to doing it, in case it will.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")