Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climberrn View Post
I was about to order some Milbar ones at my last condition inspection. Couldn’t decide on the size. Spruce has several models listed. I have some cheap ones from spruce. Better than HF, but not perfect.
Joel,

If you only have one size make sure it is the short one (6"). They can be used in much tighter areas than the 12". As a case study I have both lengths and the 12" rarely get used.

Jim
Old 06-25-2021, 11:33 PM

I am not sure that Milbars are what they used to be. I bought these brand new and used them about 5 times and then....

Dang.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburch View Post
Yes, that's what I was getting at... Milbar now has a model with one-hand locking.

This is a Snap-On video but I'm 99% sure the pliers shown here are actually made by Milbar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnocxjAS_7Y
I got a set of those. I don't think they are made by Milbar as they are made in France. When they say one-hand operation, you still have to slide the lock down manually, they are implying you can do it with the holding hand, just like the Milbar slider. Just in case anybody thought they were similar to the Milbar 7W Tigerwave Jaw auto-locking twisting pliers which toggles the lock/unlock with each squeeze cycle.

So These fancy new 8" Snap-On WTG8A safety wire pliers are a real disappointment as the jaws do not clamp both wires well, even if crossed well. They can't seem to clamp both wires with the equal clamping force so one end of the wire always comes out of the jaws after a couple of turns. They were super expensive too ($250!). Maybe I just got a bad set.

Going back, the aforementioned Milbar Tigerwave Jaw auto-locking type drive me and my friends nuts because the locking system is designed to automatically toggle from unlocked to locked and back to unlocked with each squeeze. Turns out that more often than not the human hand tends to squeeze a little when turning the pliers so they are always unlocking at inopportune times, requiring repositioning and re-locking the pliers to re-start the twisting. This might be a more prevalent problem with folks used to using legacy safety wire pliers for years but I find it maddening.

Jim

Last edited by jliltd : 06-26-2021 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill.hutchison View Post
Are there better ones? If so, which ones? Because I am willing to pay for good ones at this point.
Also consider Proto safety wire pliers (made by Stanley Black and Decker). The reversing mechanism on my large Milbar safety wire pliers broke. Milbar "lifetime warranty" experience was painful and slow. I bought the 6" Proto reversing pliers to avoid having to deal with Milbar customer service again in the event of a tool failure. The Proto plier performs fine.
RV-6A N47TD - 1100 hrs (sold)
Old 06-26-2021, 10:29 PM

I just ordered an ARES 10009 6 inch set to try out. Had some good reviews on Amazon.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:47 AM

I've twisted a mile or two of .032" wire in my 35 years working at the prop shop. I've always just used Snap-On duck bill pliers and pair of good dikes. Reversing action is done manually. Now if your in a confined area I could see using the fancy ones but most of the time, duck bills.
Try it you may like it
Old 07-11-2021, 04:16 AM

Since I started this thread I figured I'd post the update....

Milbar. Life-changing. I can actually operate one-handed in some instances.

Now, I'm still not the greatest safety-wire guy out there - I suspect miles of wire and months of practice and more than a few skin punctures will improve my technique, but it's SO MUCH EASIER to use the Milbars than those crappy HF pliers.