- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:50 AM

Default steerable

just a thought, after almost hitting the taxiway lights twice during taxiing with strong sidewinds (I now know what the 30Kt border is for):

How hard would it be to add something like Bowden cables to the Nosewheel in some way to make it steerable? Aren' t there any RV types that already have such an improvement that can be copied?
Project bought & flying RV12 #120742
Donation 2021 paid
Old 06-14-2021, 11:31 AM

My $0.02 for what it's worth ... You're basically trying to hack your way out of the limits of the aircraft ... I would just fly within the limits ... or perhaps consider a more robust aircraft if your mission requires it
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 06-14-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
My $0.02 for what it's worth ... You're basically trying to hack your way out of the limits of the aircraft ... I would just fly within the limits ... or perhaps consider a more robust aircraft if your mission requires it
I agree, and make sure the nose fork friction is adjusted per the KAI.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-14-2021, 02:11 PM

Aircraft that have nose wheel steering typically also have a mechanism built into the nose wheel strut that centers the nose gear and essentially disconnects it from the rudder system when the weight comes off the wheels so that if you're landing in a howling crosswind with lots of rudder, you're not landing with the nose gear cocked to one side.
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 06-14-2021, 08:29 PM

The Yellow Prototype had a steerable nose gear.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMLviator View Post
The Yellow Prototype had a steerable nose gear.
Youíre right, it did. And the final version did notÖ

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 07-05-2021, 09:14 PM

There are light sports aircraft that have steerable nose wheels like Tecnam and Sling.
Iíve flown Tecnams in a flight school as a flight instructor and theyíre excellent flys similar to the RV-12 but their ground handling is excellent. However, they canít be purchased as kit and personality I donít want to deal with a S-LSA.
I havenít flown the Sling aircraft but there one being completed here on our airstrip. It looks really good but have not flown it.
Vans is now recommending that we replace the nose gear due to failure. I sure hate to go through that. If Vans only would only offer it also as a steerable nose wheel Iíd would be first in line. I like the way the RV-12 flys but not the ground handling. Iíve given thousands of hours of flight instruction and own and fly a RV-12 but wouldnít use it for flight instruction. I know it is used for flight instruction but I will not. I did and would use a Tecnam anytime.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry View Post
If Vans only would only offer it also as a steerable nose wheel I’d would be first in line. I like the way the RV-12 flys but not the ground handling. I’ve given thousands of hours of flight instruction and own and fly a RV-12 but wouldn’t use it for flight instruction. I know it is used for flight instruction but I will not. I did and would use a Tecnam anytime.
I guess it comes down to what you're used to.. I learned to fly in the 70's in Grumman Lynx, Cheetah and Tigers.. All have non-steerable nose wheels. The RV12 seems normal to me and I haven't had any issues with ground handling. Just have to keep in mind that at some point the rudder stops being effective and you need to be ready to apply a little braking if needed...I love being able to turn on a dime in a Grumman and Van's..

To the OP.. If you have Experimental, anything's possible, but you have to decide if the juice is really worth the squeeze to you.. Be careful out there!
Van's RV-12 #120566 - ELSA - N49DD
Spinks Airport, KFWS, Fort Worth, TEXAS!

DONATED

Last edited by jrock836 : 07-06-2021 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:53 AM

Not a whole lot different than tail wheel ops except loose end is in the front. Best to practice and become proficient with use of rudder pedals / brakes. With practice and knowing aircraft / pilot limitations, ground handling becomes second nature...
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 728

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 07-06-2021, 08:16 AM

Hans,

Try using this app before or while doing your flight planning. Might give you a better idea of winds on the ground at the airport, before you go down to fly. You'll worry a lot less about steering if you choose better crosswind conditions to take off and land in.

https://www.windy.com/EHRD?51.960,3.342,8

or
https://www.windy.com/EHLE?52.459,4.427,8

"Time to Spare, go by Air."

Last edited by NinerBikes : 07-06-2021 at 12:27 PM.