Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2021, 01:33 PM

Default A&P and Builder Dispointment

I dove head first into the experimental world a few years ago, and have been almost full time building and repairing them in that time. I have am a Manufacturing Engineer by trade with a lot of experience in machining.

Having now finished my own RV9A, and been helping other RV owners with their airplanes in the last 2 years I am amazed at what I am seeing and rather ashamed of what I am seeing.

For example.
  • Speaker wire for the mag wiring.
  • Missing Landing Gear Mount bolts on both sides
  • No control stops on any axis (unless you call the panel a stop)
  • Excessive 90 deg fittings on fuel lines, sometimes 2 components mounted on different surfaces connected via rigid 90's.
  • "Lower spark plugs stripped out, unable to perform compression test." Followed by A&P signing airplane off as airworthy.
  • AP servo's that can overcenter and lock up controls.
  • Lack of large washers on rod ends.

The list goes on. Of course we are fixing these issues, but for the owners they all thought they owned a safe airplane. I am sure others have more stories.

How do we help fix this? I really think RV's could have a safety record as good or better than certified, if these type issues along with pilot training was improved.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:42 PM

I see my fair share of poor workmanship, as well, but wouldn't say the RV world is worse than the type certified.

That said, one RV-8 I did a CI on last year had 3 out of 4 jam nuts on the elevator all the way loose - but get this - with torque stripe paint on them spanning the gap between the nut and base where it should have been seated.

An RV-7 had so much counter weight installed on the elevator it was bending at the point where the counter weight extension met the elevator. Probably took a pound of lead off each side to get it balanced (flying since 2011).
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines (aka Hoser)
Old 04-12-2021, 01:52 PM

Default See...

See... torque seal only tells you one thing...that is was applied...

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 04-12-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
An RV-7 had so much counter weight installed on the elevator it was bending at the point where the counter weight extension met the elevator. Probably took a pound of lead off each side to get it balanced (flying since 2011).
I'm assuming someone added a very large extra chunk of lead? I don't see how this can be done unless one goes out and buys a piece of lead to add more. Confused why someone would do this?
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 04-12-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I see my fair share of poor workmanship, as well, but wouldn't say the RV world is worse than the type certified.

I agree 110%. In fact I am starting to think some A&P's are worse mechanics than people who have never built an airplane.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
I'm assuming someone added a very large extra chunk of lead? I don't see how this can be done unless one goes out and buys a piece of lead to add more. Confused why someone would do this?
In the”old” days we poured our own lead. At least I did in 1995.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty1295 View Post

How do we help fix this? I really think RV's could have a safety record as good or better than certified, if these type issues along with pilot training was improved.
- Be a good Mentor - help where you can, point out questionable items as you run into them, the owner will be grateful every time.

- support organizations like EAA (& others) that have multiple programs devoted to this, the goal being a better & safer homebuilt population.

- support VAF!!!
Old 04-12-2021, 03:05 PM

Default The Things You See......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird View Post
What? There was another way? Us builders that had the "pile of formed aluminum" kits had to do a lot of things on our own. I had a large bar of tintype from a linotype machine (you may have to Google that to see what THAT is) that I have used for multiple things, including jewelry. It is my poured counterweights!

When I was building (and still, to this day) I would scour around every RV I could find, looking for ideas and how others put their airplanes together. OSH was a gold mine of information: hundreds of photographs. There were times when I would stumble on a build and nearly jump back from what I was seeing!! And they FLEW in!

That said, most people seem to realize this aircraft will have your butt going 200 mph and a long way from Ma Earth and it needs to be done RIGHT....! Still.....
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Subscriber!
Old 04-12-2021, 03:07 PM

Default Whaaaaaaaaaaa...??

Quote:
That said, one RV-8 I did a CI on last year had 3 out of 4 jam nuts on the elevator all the way loose - but get this - with torque stripe paint on them spanning the gap between the nut and base where it should have been seated.
OK: it isn't funny but it IS! THAT cracked me UP...........
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Subscriber!
Old 04-12-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird View Post
Oh interesting, I didn't know this was a thing. But was it ever done that way on a -7 kit? I have never heard of it on a -7.
Exempt but gladly paying!